HybridZ

*New* Z project!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's a somewhat better description...

4 years ago I picked this car up in california. I didn't care about the somewhat ratty appearance and poo brown color, the price was right and I wanted to own a Z! The interior was a little worn, there was a lot of dry rotting and sun damage, but the exterior had no rust on it at all.

About a month later my "friend" wanted to borrow the car to look at apartments out in town. 25 minutes later he plowed into the back of a brand new '03 impala. The impala was totaled, but my Z survived with a cracked radiator and a slightly bent bumper. I guess those ugly things are good for something! I had to drive this thing with a few gallons of water in the trunk for a couple months until I could find time out of my job to get the radiator fixed. After she had the new radiator dropped in, I got orders to Okinawa where I was to be stationed for 2 years. So I drove the car across the states to Connecticut so I could store in my parents' yard while I was away. Well, that 2 years turned into about 4 years away. I was lucky to come home once a year where I would unwrap it and fire it up. Even after all the sitting, she always started.

Flash forward to a few weeks ago, I'm out of the military and I'm taking a vacation to work on the car... vacation is the nice way to say temporarily unemployed... The car has since accumulated very little surface rust, which is suprising, but it does have a couple spots of cancer that have developed. I still have my floor pans though! Also, this time it didn't start. It cranked for all it was worth, but not even starting fluid could get it to fire up. So ended up having to push i to the garage where it sits on jacks today.

Most likely the engine won't start due to aged and clogged fuel injectors or a bad control unit. The pump still makes pressure, as i found out when i tried to remove the old fuel filter (which looks like its been there since '78) and residual pressure exploded in my face. When I removed the sparkplugs and looked in the holes I saw nothing but black oily crud all over the pistons, so I'm going to take it out and rebuild it myself. The engine has anywhere from 68000 to 168000 to 268000 miles on it with what looks like no real maintenance done (i can't tell... the odometer doesn't go above 5 digits). But I'm not concerning myself with that until I fully refurbish the brake and suspension system. I'm also not going to have anything professionally done that I can easily do with available tools (although I'd really like to strip the whole car down and dip it in a acid bath/ then paint it).

Future goals:

I want to have this car both comfortable to drive on the street, as well as the autocross. Maybe eventually get it on the Limerock track a few times. I'd like to drop an RB20DET engine into it, and gradually squeeze more performance out of it as my budget allows. I'm more concerned with handling than absolute power though, so I may use an SR20DET engine instead. 350 hp would be the max i realistically plan to get, with a top speed of 150mph that I rarely expect I'll be at.

The new struts drop the ride height about an inch, or so they advertise... I don't really need to go much lower, if at all. As for the rest of the suspension, I will replace things as time goes on, but for now all that is planned is some strut bars and maybe some stronger swaybars. Brakes will stay stock until I get to the point where i'm pushing more power out of my engine and I will buy higher performance units for the front. I'd also like the car to shed a few pounds, but until it fits in my budget I'll have to do with removing the seats and other unecessary equiptment.

More updates soon...

In the garage finally after pushing it out of the yard

stuff026.jpg

The Engine needs a little love (read: money) to get back up to step

stuff033.jpg

Fusable Links... broken. I plan to replace them with a Maxi Fuse unit

stuff032.jpg

Air Flow Meter: The flap is stuck halfway and requires a little push to go the rest... so THAT'S why it wouldn't rev above 2500 last year..

stuff034.jpg

Mystery componant A: left side of the engine compartment, single wire going to it is cut by previous owner/mechanics. If you can tell me what it is, you're a better man than I

stuff036.jpg

Mystery Component B: used to be mounted on the engine block and draped over the valve cover. Looks like some sort of blower fan, did not find it in any of my 240-280 documentation, but I have seen it on later 280zx models

IMG_0344.jpg

MC B mount. The engine block used to be blue! As with a few other mystery components and other "uneeded" components, its wiring was cut when I bought the car by the previous owners

IMG_0343.jpg

Image shows the sorry state of the shock boots... All of them are dryrotted like this one. Rear shocks completely bottom out when going over small bumps, causing the tire to rub on the wheel well.

IMG_0348.jpg

Spare tire well. This is AFTER I cleaned out the rats nests and assorted junk in there. Anyone ever had to use that tire? Its junk... mine fell apart during the 3/4 of a mile to the gas station. Note the white mystery wire.

IMG_0345.jpg

The interior... I tore out all the old mildewed carpeting which fell apart in my hands. Someone had replaced the original carpet with what looked like shag. Eww...

IMG_0341.jpg

Driver's side. I put the nifty steering wheel and shift nob there. The originals were crumbling apart.

IMG_0342.jpg

Center console. I had to glue the two halves together in order to get the radio to stay in.

IMG_0349.jpg

Yea you were right, the interior is in pretty good shape minus the carpet. You even have the same pedals as I do. I am in the same boat as you when I picked up my latest 280. Interior looked so good I overlooked a lot of the rust issues the car had with it.

It now sits like yours on jackstands waiting to be saved. We all need some type of project to keep us sane.

Good luck,

Tom

As in, when I first bought the car 4 years ago. At least it ran back then.

Holy crap it has T-tops! Wait, wouldn't you really just consider this thing a split moonroof? I think its gross, but removing it would cause even more problems methinks. I didn't even know these came on my model year. Note the top notch security system sticker.

IMG_0327.jpg

Engine bay, before I ripped mystery component B out. If you can see any sawdust looking deposits, its from the radiator stopleak that was spraying from the old cracked unit.

IMG_0324.jpg

After my professionally home-done rattlecan paint job. The idea was to block out rust before I drove the car across the states to store it. That and I couldn't stand the nasty brown color anymore.

sprayedlicence2.jpg

Check it out! Bumper bent courtesy of my good friend. If those ugly things are good for something, its cutting through new Impalas and preventing pesky small animals from denting the body.

licencesprayed1.jpg

Mystery component B is a fan added to the 280ZX models to avoid vapor lock when the car is driven in hot climates. This was not an item found on the 280Z, even the California models. Looking at that and at the fuel rails it looks more like you may have a 280ZX motor than a 280Z. This is not bad as the ZX had a broader torque curve. If you can find the head identification you can probably determine the car the motor came from.

Mystery component A looks like the hood switch for a security system. The sticker on your quarter glass seems to support that, too.

Yeah, B is the fuel injector cooling fan (and associated junk).

Take the cover off of your AFM and carefully work a bit of PB Blaster into your flap hinge and it'll work nice and smooth again. Tuning the AFM is easy enough to do via spark plug observation. Check out www.atlanticz.ca for the EFI Bible if you haven't found it already.

BTW, welcome home from service, too! :-)

Thanks for the help! You know, I had been wondering if this had a zx motor in it, I'll get my inspection mirror in there and check it out. Either that, or I'm guessing maybe the dealership put it there as a component upgrade?

As for the AFM (another interesting fact: there is blue paint marker on its side that is barely visible in the picture; it reads "280ZX"), I think that's a little easier said than done. All the screws on the back plate are stuck to the plate, almost as if they were painted over. I tried a few and got really close to stripping them completely. As much as I hate to do it, I think that I might dremel them out.

I find more and more strange and annoying little things on this car every day. Rewiring is going to be a nightmare, much of the connections in this car have been carelessly cut and spliced. Oh, and I thought earlier that I was lucky not to have rusted out floorpans? WRONG! today while cleaning out the interior I found a hidden rust patch on the passenger side and easily punched my finger through it. :cuss:

Well, looks like I'll have to find a service manual for this engine, if it really is a zx motor. I'll make an update later, right now its food time!

Looks like the motor I've got in there is an N42 block with a N47 head. After searching around for a while, it looks like since I'm on a budget my best bet would be to source an L28ET from somewhere for an economical turbo setup. The problem is sourcing one! The junkyards around here have not been helpful at all, in fact I wasn't even able to walk around and find anything. They just guided me to a parts office where a man at a computer asked me what I wanted. When I mentioned that I was looking for a motor out of an 81-83 zxT he scoffed and said no one carries those old cars anymore. So much for that. Ebay had nothing. Craigslist didn't either.

I guess tomorrow I'll head over to the local Nissan dealership and see if i can talk to one of their mechanics who's knowlegable about the old Zs. They have a classic Z meet every year so maybe I'll get lucky.

Meh... No luck... Looks like I'm stuck between the cheaper engine I can't find and the RB I've always wanted (which will drain most of my funds, and then I'll still be down an intercooler and driveshaft). I can find a way to fab the mounts with my uncle's help, hopefully. I'm going to think this one over while I go kill some more rust...

Patience, child, you live in New England where things rust quickly and junkyards are not always as forgiving as they should be. ZXT motors are still around; you just seem to be unfortunate enough to NOT have a pick-and-pull type yard near you. I guarantee that finding a complete ZXT motor will be cheaper than getting the RB, and the only reason the RB seems so "obtainable" is because it fetches a decent price, so the people who sell them make sure they are rather visible. ZXT motors are going to be a little more obscure to find... but not necessarily more difficult. It just won't pop up under a google search of "buy ZXT motor" like "buy RB26 motor" would.

Patience, child, you live in New England where things rust quickly and junkyards are not always as forgiving as they should be. ZXT motors are still around; you just seem to be unfortunate enough to NOT have a pick-and-pull type yard near you. I guarantee that finding a complete ZXT motor will be cheaper than getting the RB, and the only reason the RB seems so "obtainable" is because it fetches a decent price, so the people who sell them make sure they are rather visible. ZXT motors are going to be a little more obscure to find... but not necessarily more difficult. It just won't pop up under a google search of "buy ZXT motor" like "buy RB26 motor" would.

True story... I'm still searching

Here's something interesting that I almost forgot about. My Z has been this way since the day I got it, and I just remembered it a few minutes ago while looking at my engine:

IMG_0364.jpg

That's... my flywheel... Is that kosher?! I doubt it is, seeing those bolt holes on the xmsn housing. Oddly enough, I've never had problems with the drivetrain or the clutch.

I'm going to look into that part number...

Mystery component B is a fan added to the 280ZX models to avoid vapor lock when the car is driven in hot climates. This was not an item found on the 280Z, even the California models. Looking at that and at the fuel rails it looks more like you may have a 280ZX motor than a 280Z. This is not bad as the ZX had a broader torque curve. If you can find the head identification you can probably determine the car the motor came from.

That's interesting about the whole vapor lock thing... I always guessed that fan was there to blow off all the random nuts and junk mice like to deposit on top of my intake manifold.