HybridZ

EDIS new install, no spark? (can be an install guide)

cygnusx1

• Administrators
It wasn't just switching the VR wires though. There is still a missing ingredient in my mind. I switched VR wires three times during testing. There is some combination of things that made it work. Bottom line is that if you follow all the directions here, it will work.

BTW here is the pinout for the 2000 Dodge Caravan Coilpack. This pack will use normal spark plug boots.

368345110_sqvAk-L.jpg

368345097_xBrBp-L.jpg

BONUS INFO!

The FORD EDIS-6 coil plug will fit directly into this coilpack if you hack it up with a saw and file or grinder. The pin configuration is identical and mates right up once you "reshape" the FORD Connector body. Of course you need to rewire it to match the pinouts.

I mounted the Coil Pack on the firewall near the heater hoses. I mounted the EDIS6 module, right where the original coil goes (drivers inner fender). This keeps the VR wires short, and since my MSII is under the drivers seat, it's a straight run back to MSII with the PIP/SAW wires. Also, the tachometer wire is right there near the old coil. Just take it off the old coil and tie it to PIN2 on EDIS.

Nice work Dave...

You've got PM...

• Administrators
How do you run EDIS with a non coil pack system?

I want to run CBR coils on mine. (KA24de engine)

I see two ways to do this on a 4 cylinder using the FORD EDIS-x ignition system.

A) EDIS-4;

I don’t see why it can’t work, though before you try it, you will need to do some investigation/testing/measuring to be sure the coils are compatible with the EDIS module.

1) Running coils designed to spark only one plug vs the Ford EDIS coil packs which spark 2 plugs with one coil, would require 4 coils. No biggee right?

2) Pair up the coils via the primaries. I.e. wire the primary (input) of two coils together with each other. Those two coils will now both spark at the same time firing 2 plugs, though using one primary trigger. The EDIS-4 module only has 2 outputs, one for each “paired coil” hence pairing up the primaries. :wink:

3) Not sure how resilient the EDIS module is regarding primary resistance values, though I would verify that those “paired” motorcycle coils have similar primary resistance of the Ford EDIS coil packs primaries, as measured with an Ohm meter. The Chrysler coil packs have virtually identical primary and secondary resistances, i.e. they are electrically interchangeable.

4) The EDIS module has its “dwell” built and is NOT adjustable, (coil “ON” vs “OFF” time). Ford engineers set that dwell time to match the coils rise time. If the new coils rise time is slower than the EDIS coil pack, when the coils are triggered, the spark intensity delivered will not be at the full potential of what that coil is capable of, and if boosted, could end up not sparking at all. On the other end of the dwell spectrum, if the new coils rise time is faster than the EDIS coil packs, then the new cols will burn out, and hoe long that happens depends on how much the coil is being “oversaturated” (turned on too long causing the coils to heat up…)

5) Wasted spark ignition on the Datsun/Nissan 4 cylinder, the paired coil packs will fire cylinders 1-4, & 2-3.

B) EDIS-8;

EDIS-8 come on the Ford Mod V-8 engines, (Crown Vic, Mustang, T-bird, etc) and the EDIS-8 module has 4 outputs. Now using the EDIS-8 on a 4 cylinder, you would have a true sequential Distributor-less ignition system, not wasted spark. Each of the 4 outputs can control one individual coil/cylinder.

1) Not sure how resilient the EDIS module is regarding primary resistance values, though I would verify that those “paired” motorcycle coils have similar primary resistance of the Ford EDIS coil packs primaries, as measured with an Ohm meter. The Chrysler coil packs have virtually identical primary and secondary resistances, i.e. they are electrically interchangeable.

2) The EDIS module has its “dwell” built and is NOT adjustable, (coil “ON” vs “OFF” time). Ford engineers set that dwell time to match the coils rise time. If the new coils rise time is slower than the EDIS coil pack, when the coils are triggered, the spark intensity delivered will not be at the full potential of what that coil is capable of, and if boosted, could end up not sparking at all. On the other end of the dwell spectrum, if the new coils rise time is faster than the EDIS coil packs, then the new cols will burn out, and hoe long that happens depends on how much the coil is being “oversaturated” (turned on too long causing the coils to heat up…)

3) EDIS-8 is rumored to intermittent spark above 6000 RPM, though on some Ford Mod motors, guys are getting 7000 RPM with no spark issues. In our testing on the EDIS Test bench, (we tested EDIS-4, EDIS-6 and EDIS-8), we did note that the EDIs-8 was more finicky regarding the input trigger and using odd trigger wheels, (Odd meaning we actually tested a 36 tooth saw blade), the EDIS-8 would drop sparks earlier than the EDIS-4 and EDIS-6 modules. My best guess is that h the EDI-8 is fine up to 7000-7500 RPM, so long as you use the EDIS-8 VR and the matching EDIS-8 trigger wheel, i.e. whatever V-8 vehicle the EDIS-8 module cam from, also get the VR and trigger wheel from that same or similar vehicle.

For those about to “Hybrid” the EDIS ignition system, please document your Hybrid set up and share your results. You may also want to look at our EDIS test bench thread where we tested many triggers wheels, VR to 36-1 clearances, etc. This thread is a good spring board for anyone wanting to Hybrid the EDIS ignition;

Click ME for in-depth EDIS testing on, "The EDIS Test Bench!"

This thread below is also a good primer on D.I.S. and the Ford EDIS-x ignition system;

Click ME for a discussion of "D.I.S." and "EDIS-x"!

Hope that helps,

Paul

hmm thanks.

I think I'll just stick with the "standard setup." I just want my crap to work at this point. I might do this at some point later on.

Oh. I thought that the CBR coil setup would be about the same as the LS1.

Do the LS1 coils have more than 2 leads. the CBR ones have only a + and - with no third lead.

• Administrators
hmm thanks.

I think I'll just stick with the "standard setup." I just want my crap to work at this point. I might do this at some point later on.

Oh. I thought that the CBR coil setup would be about the same as the LS1.

Do the LS1 coils have more than 2 leads. the CBR ones have only a + and - with no third lead.

If you are just looking for simple, ease of installing, the EDIS-x setup with the FORD or Chrysler coil pack is about as easy as it gets. As close to Plug and play as you are going to get, other than the configuration hurdles within MegaSquirt/MegaTune of course. (If you didn't already know, EDIS is Fords brand name for this particular D.I.S. ignition system).

LS-x coils have the igniters built in, (electronic circuitry in the coils). With EDIS, the EDIS module itself is the igniter that triggers the coils, and the EDIS/Chrysler coil packs are just coils, no other electronics in the coil pack. In short, the LS-x coils will NOT work with EDIS-x. As I understand, Z-ya was working on getting LS-x coils working with Mega Squirt, as I understand it, that is more complicated than using the EDIS ignition for the 6 cylinder. Might be less hassle for the 4 cylinder? (Hopefully Pete or Matt will chime in…)

The CBR coils with just a "+" and a "-" only sounds like they are just a coil, i.e. no electronics built in. Just need to verify they are compatible with EDIS electrically speaking and the EDIS dwell is adequate for the CBR coils.