HybridZ

Downsizing steering wheel

280Z Turbo

How small of a steering wheel can you run before it becomes an issue?

I'd like to install this steering wheel:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRT%2D1064&N=700+4294891653+4294790005+4294891651+115&autoview=sku

grt-1064_w_m.jpg

with a 13.75" diameter and a 3.75" dish, but would I still be able to see my gauges? Would the steering effort become excessive?

The stock wheel is 15".

I have a similar sized wheel..... 13.5" diameter 3.0" dish.

I haven't driven the car much yet, but the top of the wheel covers the gauges some and I can foresee it possibly being a problem. Steering effort isn't bad even with my 245s up front but like I said, I haven't driven it much more than a couple miles so far.

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow to give you a better idea, if no else chimes in first.

Kevin

I have one slightly smaller than that, actually. I have long legs, etc. I look through the wheel to the gauges quite a bit, but it's better than constantly rubbing the steering wheel on my legs. Effort is decent but not terrible. It's a bit of a handful to completely turn lock-to-lock sitting still on smooth pavement. I also have 9" wide front tires, welded rear diff and 9.5" rear tires, so that's probably about worst case. Once you get up past 10 mph it's no issue.