HybridZ

Project VQ is Underway!

EMWHYR0HEN

Update: shifter and intake relocation.

I used the stock external shifter mount and univeral joint by shortening them both. The shifter is a little further back than before but, still feels good with the seat and steering wheel position. I finished it up with a peice of aluminum lined with a foam gasket to seal up the cabin. It was hard to work with such a narrow trans tunnel. I think it looks real cheap but, it works.

IMG_21172.JPG

IMG_21182.JPG

IMG_21202.JPG

I cut the stock 90 degree bend and throttle body flange off of the stock manifold. I've decided on extending the T/B flange straight into the cowl where the throttle body will be placed. I'm going to cut a hole that goes into the cabin where a 180 degree mandrel bend will be placed and welded. The other end will go back out to the passenger side cowl area where a small cone filter or flat filter will be placed. See my awsome illustrations below.

IMG_21243.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

I still trying to plan things out so i'm open to any sugestions to my knarly design.

I have had good luck welding cast aluminum so far. true its not as pretty as extruded 606t1 or whatever but you can make nice beads. It takes a lot of heat and grab some aluminum filler for cast aluminum. I forgot the exact numbers but they should know when you buy it or perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

I relocated the coolant sensor in my rear coolant passage so i didnt have to modify the firewall...and it welded very well.

instead of using the cone filter and plumbing it like you've shown why not box up that section of the cowl where the tb's already at and use a K&N or similar panel filter?

*Sigh* The F'n MAF....

I was either going to use a small cone or fab an air box with a flat filter. Either way, I think I have to plumb it like I've drawn up top.

Update: Exhaust

The layout is 2.5'' x 16 gauge steel piping w/ mandrel bends on each side of the manifold, both sides coming together at the "Y - pipe" turning into 3" piping also w/ mandrel bends then a flange for a muffler and straight pipe to be attached ( still to come)

I got all my piping, O2 bungs, and v- bands from Columbia Madrel Bending.

The stock manifolds didnt clear the firewall so the flanges and a couple inches of the manifold were cut off. The 2.5'' piping is welded onto the stock manifolds and is sent down and back about down pipe length. The rest of the exhaust system is then attached with V-bands and one aluminum hanger.

Everything fits really tight against the chassis. With the car on the ground the exhaust is up 3'' at the lowest point.

By far the most time comsuming part of the swap. Also, really nice to have an extra hand when fabbing an exhaust.

Also, the entire exhaust system, including manifolds and hardware & excluding a muffler, weighed in at 32 LBS

exhaust_068.jpg

exhaust_075.jpg

exhaust_074.jpg

exhaust_023.jpg

exhaust_057.jpg

exhaust_064.jpg

exhaust_094.jpg

exhaust_079.jpg

exhaust_104.jpg

exhaust_017.jpg

exhaust_036.jpg

I'm 23, I go to school full time, and if i'm not working on my car i'm out making a buck wrenching of cars and houses. To be completely honest I think i'm more efficient than fast. I try to stay as clean and organized as possible, I stay away from dissruptions like phone calls, and manage my time working on my car wisely.

With any of my projects: I take the time to plan out exactly what i'm going to do and everything i'm going to need before I work and write them down on a notepad. When it's time to work I simply look at the notepad and become a machine as some have said.

When everything comes together you just fall into a groove and things get done quite fast. In turn, your productivity goes up and you stay focused with the build.

But that's just me.....

uh oh .. no muffler?? especially in a stripped interior Z?

going to be NOISEY!!!!

Keep in mind Austin is going to school full time and the car is kept at another house.. give him a break

The rear pipe is just tacked on right now. A flange is going to be added for a muffler and a staight pipe for the track :D