HybridZ

Chevy 90 degree V6

Guest We Bad

• 2 weeks later...

Yes this engine is destined for my 280Z. It is based on a GM race block and has the capacity to go to 320 cubic inches, (4.000 in. stroke), although I'm going to stop at 300. (4.125 bore by 3.75 stroke.)

5 liters is BIG for a 6 cylinder and this block weighs only 74 lbs including the main caps.

I'm pretty dure you know about these points.

1. when rpm or hp goes up on the V6 you're gonna land on a common pin crank. these take some special parts to work camshaft and ignition.

2. when you use a common pin crankshaft in one of these, IT WILL DO IT'S BEST TO SHAKE ITSELF AND THE CAR APART.

other than that, I think they're very neat engines. If you don't bug them (about anything but the part like tuning) Hillborn probably has a couple of the bases left around. HVH cly. heads has ported alot of those heads he (Joe) had some blank canted valve stuff hanging around.

good luck

the pwr?lbs. will be untouchable if built right and weight dist. will be also.

Luigi

Neato! I put one in my Z a couple of years ago and I love it. Is that an aluminum block, and what kind of heads are you using?

Im having some 2003 Vortec heads ported out to use on mine and they should flow just as good as the Brodix heads, only about 2 grand cheaper. Lunati is selling their Voodo cams for these motors and they are the best that I could find right now.

What type of aspiration do you plan on using?

• 1 year later...

hey buddy, did ya ever start the V6 swap? I just pulled my L26 outta my 260Z and we're getting ready to put in a Vortec 4.3 V6 i found at my buddy's place. Might go with his Toyota W58 tranny with his bellhousing adapter to make the tranny match up. Hopefully my mounts'll be ready within a week or so.

• 3 years later...

Headers on a V8 (or V6) Z car are problematic. Steering linkage issues on one side, starter heat soak issues on the other side and narrow spacing of frame rails requiring small diameter primary pipes with sharp, tight bends immediately out of the port. Once down in between the frame rails you are left with a tight transmission tunnel compromising either exhaust system size (diameter), ground clearance or both.

I went with fender-well headers ( 1 7/8 " dia. primaries) that go outside of the frame rails and a side pipe exhaust system.  The downside is that the battery must be relocated and the master cylinder moved to the driver's side of the firewall. 

post-30774-0-88494600-1360382360_thumb.jpg