HybridZ

Removable Steering Wheel?

JustinOlson

It's easy pleezy:

Remove horn pad (push & rotate... counter-clockwise IIRC)

Remove nut and lock washer,

Pull wheel off (mine was loose enough to pull by hand, you might need a puller)

Get a 240z 260z 280z 280zx steering wheel hub, quick release hub, and steering wheel

Put the hub on the shaft, put the bolt on

Bolt the quick release onto the steering hub

Bolt the steering wheel onto the quick release

• 3 weeks later...

I put a fair amount of thought into this issue.

This won't work for a stock wheel becasue it bolts directly to the steering shaft. Most steering wheel conversions use an adaptor to bolt a universal steering wheel to your steering column. This adaptor is usually 3-4" thick. This means that you would use a flatter wheel(less dish) than the stocker. This will place a flat(Zero-dish) wheel a little too far away for most people. You would need one of the moderately dished(~30mm) wheels to get it just right.

If you add a bolt-on quick release then you are going to increase your stack of parts by ~3". That will bring even a flat no-dish wheel too close for comfort for just about anyone.

The first thing you need to know is...

How close do you want the wheel? This is a variable answer question. Different body shapes and seating positions will make this a hard to answer question.

The answer I found with most tracked 240Zs with race seats is more easily measured from the firewall-flange at the bottom of the steering column to the flush face of the wheel rim. Put a board across your wheel and pull that tape.

Most measurements from track equipped S-30s range from 30"-34".

Mine is 33.75" from the flange to the face of the grip.

I have the OMP Velocita wheel(350mm with no dish)

OMPvelocita.jpg

I purchased a thin-Profile NRG quick release mechanism. It is only 1.5" thick as opposed to most of the other bolt-on styles that are 3" or more.

NRGquickrelease.jpg

The adaptor I used is a Japanese brand I will have to look up. It is pretty standard fair for S-30 to Momo/Sparco/OMP 6 bolt flanges. Both the adaptor and the quick release are double drilled to accomodate 2 6-bolt patterns. 5 bolt patterns like the Grant/Nardi/Personal wheels are out for most of the adaptors.

Here is a Momo adapter

Momohub.jpg

Hmm... so you can bolt a quick release onto the hub that you pictured above? I have the exact same one but am totally lost in terms of how to install my k-sport quick release b/c the instructions are in Japanese. I was thinking about getting something like this-http://www.racinglab.com/nrg-short-hub-nissan-004.html

The cheapest steering hub I could find for our cars was a $70 ebay momo.

The short quick-release portion just search ebay for, it was like $17. This is the portion I was referring to being a bit wobbly. I'm going to try and put felt the contact area to see if that takes the play out.

With a normal size momo hub, and a short quickrelease, the wheel seems about stock distance (or close enough).

if you're building a race car, get the momo hub with an NRG quick release. it may be 3" longer, but it feels so much better to have the wheel closer to you. (while having your feet in the same position). It's also easier to steer when its close to you.

• 1 year later...

I've asked about quick release steering wheels previously and was given a Summit part number of G7851 which is no longer carried by Summit Racing. I guess that's what you get for waiting 2 years after getting a part number to actually order something. :rolleyes:

So here's my situation. Trailered race car, don't mind welding on the steering shaft. Want a quick disconnect for relatively low dollars. I think I want the splined style because I guess the hex style has a lot of slop in the wheel. Currently have a 13" Grant wheel and adapter, but I am realizing that this wheel probably won't work with whatever I get, as it is a 5 bolt Grant and it appears that everything is either set up for 3 or 6 bolt wheels.

I found this thread and bjhines' post, and I thought my steering wheel position was just right with the Grant which is flat and the Grant adapter which is roughly 3" from the forward part of the wheel to the column, or 4" from the wheel face to the column.

I did measure the Datsun shaft and it is .788" where the splines are. Wondering if people have ground off the splines to get a .750 shaft and then welded on an adapter, or if I should just buy a bolt on adapter. The NRG quick release John suggested is $125 or so and that's not including the cost of the wheel or adapter, so you could pretty easily be into that for $400 by the time it's all done...