HybridZ

L28ET Swap!!!!

jacob80

Hey guys, we have now received our '83 280ZX L28ET with 78k miles on the clock when pulled, here it is when we received it (and yes, that is me!):

1046495ex2.jpg

1046504ld2.jpg

Ok, so there is the engine. Those pictures were taken the night we got the engine. Here is a "teaser" of the car we're putting it in (i'll get better pics of the car itself later):

1046496tn4.jpg

Engine in the car now:

1046502fc0.jpg

We actually just put carbs and refreshed that engine, but its coming back off :) Anyways, this is the engine with us about an hour into it, prepping it for sandblasting the next night:

1046499cm3.jpg

Then, we went ahead and got a cherry picker and hoisted it up and let it have it:

1046508xy4.jpg

Sandblasting rocks!

1046509vf4.jpg

Alright, so next we rolled it into the garage and threw it on a stand

1046520rj0.jpg

Pulled off the valve cover and was very satisfied with how everything looked

1046521hw4.jpg

Alright, so the next step was to pull off the head and clean it up

1046553dv5.jpg

I took the head over to the car wash and power washed it. Once I was done with that, it was now time to paint the block

Before:

1046537ut0.jpg

Primered:

1046540qd7.jpg

Painted!:

1046544gx5.jpg

Now that the painting is done, we cleaned the deck, cylinders, and pistons as well as we could while leaving the crank assembled in the block

1046551oh3.jpg

Kameari 1mm head gasket, and if you look close in this photo, you can still see the honing marks in the cylinders! God I love these engines! :)

1046555nl0.jpg

Repainting the valve cover

1046564bx2.jpg

Valve cover painted with all aluminum parts and head back on the engine

1046566cp2.jpg

Valve cover sanded :)

1046575jg6.jpg

Oil pan removed, it was all dented to hell

1046579xj8.jpg

So thats where we are right now. One of the exhaust studs basically fell off the head with the other half in the head, so that has to be drilled out. The exhaust manifold and turbo is all cleaned up and ready to put on (stock turbo). The intake is in the process of having the EGR stuff removed and a 60mm 240sx TB installed on it. We will be running megaquirt with this system and eventually, we would like to be pushing ~250hp with stock turbo, if possible. We will also be running an intercooler with the setup. Let me know what you guys think!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Electronics wise, we're going to be running Megasquirt 2 hopefully, still waitin on the T5 borg warner, new oil pan, I think we're going to do the MSA downpipe and we're still figuring out what we're going to block off the intake manifold since we wont be running the EGR stuff. What will the stock turbo put out PSI wise?

Alright, for whoever can help me, here is the intake manifold. We plan on running megasquirt, so what on this intake can be blocked off and what needs to stay. I know I need a vacuum draw for the master cylinders, but what else? At this point, I am lost at what to do with these holes. Also, there is one on the bottom, what is this for?

intakeforforumlw7.jpg

are you doing a turbo setup too? I have a non-webbed N42 with no emissions so it's pretty nice. The "hole on the bottom" that you're talking about is for your PCV valve, there's a tube that runs from the engine block that should have some hose to the PCV valve that goes on the intake. The emissions stuff I have no idea, but at least that's one hole down :wink:

I like your enthusasum and details to you questions.

Some can be answered by searching some.

Now Cygnusx1 and Jsm that wieghed in earlier can help you better than me. Braap can make your mind melt if you want to go that far.

Search and ask again is my advice for you at this moment.

What you block off on the intake depends highly on what you want to do. You will need different ports depending on how you chose to handle things. I kept the IAC on my manifold and I use ports for vacuum for HVAC and the brake booster. Then I use other ports for the fuel pressure regulator, the dash gauge, and the megasquirt reference. Underneath, I still use the factory PCV valve. So you see, it depends on what you are going to use for what. I suggest not permanently blocking anything until you know just what you are going to use.

I plugged E, G, H and the EGR port. F pulls out with a pair of pliers.

hole "E" is for the bypass valve. It opens when shifting under boost. Block that with a factory oil pan plug. Then install a BOV.

"F" runs a hose to the fast idle valve. That valve bolts on to the bolts above hole A

"G" is for the AAC valve. I have no idea what that does. I made a flat blockoff plate and bolted it down right on the manifold.

"H" is your emergency release valve. It opens up and vents pressurized air at about 9psi. This is in case your wastegate fails to open or you decide to increase boost with a boost controller. If you remove it, it can be plugged with the large inset plug found on a Z31 intake manifold. (wrecking yard)

"D" went to some hoses that hooked up to the 280ZX carbon canister. I removed the canister, hoses, and plugged this. Found a 1st gen Altima (or most any late model Nissan) oil pan plug fit in.

"A, B, C" are for any vacuum hoses. boost gauge, FPR, ect.

hole "E" is for the bypass valve. It opens when shifting under boost. Block that with a factory oil pan plug. Then install a BOV.

"F" runs a hose to the fast idle valve. That valve bolts on to the bolts above hole A

"G" is for the AAC valve. I have no idea what that does. I made a flat blockoff plate and bolted it down right on the manifold.

"H" is your emergency release valve. It opens up and vents pressurized air at about 9psi. This is in case your wastegate fails to open or you decide to increase boost with a boost controller. If you remove it, it can be plugged with the large inset plug found on a Z31 intake manifold. (wrecking yard)

"D" went to some hoses that hooked up to the 280ZX carbon canister. I removed the canister, hoses, and plugged this. Found a 1st gen Altima (or most any late model Nissan) oil pan plug fit in.

Is the fast idle valve recommended? Will the valve work with megasquirt?

Nice information on fit of plugs for the holes!

The fast idle valve is only used on a cold startup. It will need to be triggered so I doubt Megasquirt has that feature. Megasquirt may have other cold start functions. I'm sure you'll figure that out in your research.

A good running L28et can start up and idle a little low without that fast idle valve.

The fast idle valve is only used on a cold startup. It will need to be triggered so I doubt Megasquirt has that feature. Megasquirt may have other cold start functions. I'm sure you'll figure that out in your research.

A good running L28et can start up and idle a little low without that fast idle valve.

Yes, Megasquirt 2 (which is what we're leaning toward) has that ability. But, for the time being, we will not use one. We will just hook up the handful of sensors that are absolutely needed and add on in the future.