HybridZ

L28ET Swap!!!!

jacob80

Addition: After you put a blockoff plate on "G" you do not need to do anything with hose "F". It will be sealed from the back by the blockoff plate

you may also notice that "F" runs not only to the fast idle valve but it has an X pipe that feeds the bypass valve "E" which you will plug and the source of air to all these hoses is a small pipe right off of the factory J pipe from the turbo.

I plugged these items but ran a hose directly from the J-pipe to the fast idle. It was still clean looking and retained my cold start idle.

intakeforforumlw7.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Addition: After you put a blockoff plate on "G" you do not need to do anything with hose "F". It will be sealed from the back by the blockoff plate

you may also notice that "F" runs not only to the fast idle valve but it has an X pipe that feeds the bypass valve "E" which you will plug and the source of air to all these hoses is a small pipe right off of the factory J pipe from the turbo.

I plugged these items but ran a hose directly from the J-pipe to the fast idle. It was still clean looking and retained my cold start idle.

intakeforforumlw7.jpg

Ok, well we're going to be installing an intercooler kit. Also, where can I find metric brass plugs for the threaded holes? In the end, we will need a lot of them, one for IAT, one for FPR, the long one that snakes up for the brake booster, one for the MAP sensor, and prolly another for something else, who knows.

plugs to block the holes? I don't know. Good luck with that. I search for low profile plugs but could never find the correct thread. I even went to a couple specialty bolt suppliers.

I later found that some other people had used SAE plugs meant for V8s. They just jamed them in there, destroying the threads and it somehow sealed. I wasn't going to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
I am thankful I have an earlier non-emissions intake laying around. Heck of a lot less holes and crap to deal with when I do my turbo swap.

Eh, I actually got it all taken care of. Sorry I haven't had any update pics, but I can't find my camera :icon56: so as for an update, we're now waiting on parts. We have a 280z alternator, which allows us to now have an internal voltage regulator. We also have a 24x12x3 intercooler on the way. We're also having a 280zx flywheel lightened and balanced along with the clutch. When I find the camera, I will post up pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, finally an update with picture for those of you who are keeping track :wink:

The other weekend, we got the engine pulled out. The whole process took us about four hours tops. Here are some pictures:

1026629du1.jpg

1026635zf7.jpg

Ok, now get this. The next day, we decided to put on our new Performance harmonic balancer (http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PEM06/10-2139). We read that it was a tight fit, so proceeded with this in mind. We began installation and it didn't seem to move much at all when applying a mallet to it. So after that, we decided to use a block and ball peen hammer pretty deliberately. That, too was not working well, so we decided to thread in the bolt and us ean air gun. Slowly but surely the pulley went on, but, this was a "thats not coming off for a while" kind of situation. But, something did not seem right because we marked the key on the end of the crank so we could line it up while installation. After it was done, it was slightly off, which was a little concerning, but it worked. So, later that night, my father was curious about the end play on the crank shaft because after installation was complete, we noticed an in-and-out play in the crank. So my father did a little measuring and of course there was too much play. There was only one option: new bearings. Obviously, while hitting on the pulley the thrust bearing was crushed. Well, without futher ado, here is the pulley after we pulled it off.:eek2:

1026647yx3.jpg

Lets just say, that isn't supposed to be like that :D But, we've learned from it.

Now, let the disassembly begin:

1026649gu3.jpg

New main bearings:

1026650pb3.jpg

We are now waiting on rod bearing and we thought hey, if we're going to go this far we might as well put new rings in it. So, we are also waiting for our chrome rings to arrive. Other than that...there isn't much else. We are still in the process of fabricating a surge tank and installing megasquirt. We're also waiting for injectors for our application. Other than that, there isn't much else. Here are some other parts we've recieved in the mean time:

1026651fp3.jpg

1026652kl4.jpg

1026654qn3.jpg

That is only a couple of the parts, we have a lot of new stock stuff, such as a gear reduction starter and alternator. But I'll keep you boys posted. Let me know what you think!

i built a turbo z car about 20 years ago. i'm reading this thread to see what has improved. dont know much about megasquirt, but i have a few ideas for you to run 15psi. i'm curious as to what fuel pump you will run, how you will richen it up, injector size, etc.

Years back on my 82 I was having problems getting my stock one on.

I used a breaker bar a heard a pop. Figured it was off the woodrift key a smidgen and finally aligned.

Months later after even a high speed trip through Montana, avg. 100mph, cam to find out that it had cracked an triangle section section, luckily it stayed in place the whole time. Could not figure out where my oil leak was coming from.

Sorry about your damage to a new part, at least your making lemonade out of lemons!:)

You are making nice progress in your build. You will be able to make 250hp easily with your setup and the stock turbo. I have an 83zx turbo and I am not sure how much hp I am making but my friend has a e39 m5 that has 400hp at the crank and he has a couple mods like exhaust and I am dead even with him on a roll. The only things I have done to my car is an intercooler, rising rate fuel pressure regulater, a electronic boost controller, and I have the boost up to 14.5 lbs. So i think you will make your goal easily. Who will be tuning your car?

You are making nice progress in your build. You will be able to make 250hp easily with your setup and the stock turbo. I have an 83zx turbo and I am not sure how much hp I am making but my friend has a e39 m5 that has 400hp at the crank and he has a couple mods like exhaust and I am dead even with him on a roll. The only things I have done to my car is an intercooler, rising rate fuel pressure regulater, a electronic boost controller, and I have the boost up to 14.5 lbs. So i think you will make your goal easily. Who will be tuning your car?

What do you have for engine management? Your not running 1bar on a stock ecu are you?

• 1 month later...

Heres a small update....

1026671lt8.jpg

Working on cleaning up the engine bay. I have a question though. For those of you that have filled holes with a mig welder, what are your settings? Here is the welder we are using:

1026672pb1.jpg

If you look close enough at the engine bay pics, you can see some useless holes. When we attempted to weld a hole in our oil pan, we blew holes right through it, but we were using flux cored wire, so who knows. If you guys could give me a little walk through on how to fill these, that would be great, thanks!

For those of you that have filled holes with a mig welder, what are your settings?

Settings are kinda specific to the welder, and the person doing the welding. I always test weld on some spare metal of the same thickness before actually welding on the real project. Then I can tune till it's perfect. It's hard to explain welding techniques... it's mainly something you have to practice doing.

One big thing: flux core sucks compared to argon/CO2 shielded welding.

Jacob80 are you using the ZX oil pan ?

Chris

Yes, its a turbo oil pan. We attempted patching a hole ourselves, then once we realized we couldn't, we took it to our local metals shop to have them weld it. The engine is being completely rebuild with new stock replacement pistons. We have also had a head rebuild and everything magnafluxed. We hope to be at about 300 whp and it will be a daily driven street car.