HybridZ

Funny thing happened on my way to Vegas

MOTORHEAD427

I have a '98 Z-28 Camaro as a daily driver.It's automatic.

A friend of mine and I decided to go to Vegas the other day.

To avoid traffic, we left around 4 in the morning. I filled up the tank and immediately got on the freeway. 70-75 mph average speed, all the way to Baker.No traffic. We decided to pull over at a gas station. Get some coffee.

Now, here's the funny thing:

We had travelled exactly 164 miles from Pasadena to Baker. The gas gauge showed a little more than 3/4.

Out of curiosity, I've decided to fill up the tank. 3.88 gallons. It wouldn't take any more.

That's over 41 miles per gallon!

Is that normal? I usually get around 300 miles with a full tank, city+hwy...

The car is NOT for sale.... :)

All I know is that, between the two gas stations the trip odometer showed 164 miles(all highway). I didn't bother checking the gas mileage on my way back because I left in the afternoon and there was heavy traffic.

91 octane gas.70-75 mph average. Automatic car with 115K miles. I didn't use the cruise control either. It was a miracle :)

don't the gas stations have trigger switches on the pumps and certifiers? here there's a number of organisations that are contracted by the ministry of consumer affairs that drive round and fill certain containers of set sizes and ensure what the pump reads, is what the container holds. if anything's reading a wrong volume pumped, then woe betide the station manager!

We do have a weights and measurements government agency that regulates such things.

I'm talking about the difference in fill amount that some stations will do. They put in the right amount per the pump count, but another station will pump more. Not a ton, but on such a short trip, a fill to the neck of the gas tank combined with a very low fill would show a very good MPG. On my Honda some pumps, if I'm not careful and slow them down towards the end of the fill, will actually spill a little.

Just a thought, very awesome MPG's though!!