HybridZ

Oil Pressure Warning Light

lifegrddude

Since I plan to take my 280zxt out to a couple of HPDE days next year starting in the spring, I figure I'd upgrade my gauges as well. I'm picking up some gauges with the warning light feature on them. My question is at what psi do you all recommend I set the warning light to trigger at for oil pressure? I was thinking 15 psi? Or is that too low? Also, what would you recommend for water temp and oil temp? I don't have too much experience with track days, only the occassional autocross or drag strip test and tune which really doesn't stress your cooling or oil temps too much for a street car. Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

L6s have a pressure bypass built into the oil pump that lets them bleed off any pressure higher then about 60 psi. They are, generally speaking, a somewhat lower oil pressure motor. My engine is freshly rebuilt, new oil pump, passageways clean numerous times, engine is fully blueprinted, truely as 'tight' as an L6 could be. It still gets down around 10 psi at an idle when the oil is hot. I don't consider this abnormal for this engine. At anything above an idle it has at least 40 - 50 psi. But this is a brand new motor. I have had a number of L6s (very high milage) that barely cracked 10 - 15 psi ever. And often went down to zero at an idle. If I was going to put a warning light on your car, 15 psi sounds pretty good for a fresh engine. Just be ready to see it flicker at an idle. The point would be that during an on track session, if you see it come on, you would check the gauge.

With regard to your question about oil and water temps, here's a thread I started about aluminum radiators that morphed into an oil cooler discussion. See post #25 for the results of adding the oil cooler.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136714

Also, I was glad to read John C's comments that 215 F water temps are normal on the track.