HybridZ

building a 350

Ok, Im getting a 83 280zx from my wifes grandmother. The car has been sitting for years and has your typical rust. So we have decided to make the car into a drag car. I would like to do the 350 swap into it. First and foremost Im going to get the JTR manual and read the thing front to back.

Im going to go with a single carb and automatic tranny, only going for like 350 hp to the wheels. My biggest problem is, I have never built a motor like this before and not sure of everything that I would be needing to build the motor, and what tranny and rear end would hold up. I work at summit racing and I will be able to up how much I can purchase with my discount since Im going to be doing a project. But I need to get a list together to present to them before I can get approved for the increase in purchasing amount.

If anyone on the site would be able to give me a little insight as to somethings that Im going to need to accomplish this I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA

Adam

Guest Thumper280

the tranny i would use is a 700r4. it bolts right up and you can buy it many different hp ratings. if 350 hp is all you are going to put down than the tranny will be some what inexpensive. this is the website i am getting tranny from http://www.racetransmissions.com/store/index.php/cPath/1_25_56.

also it is an automatic which is better for the drag cars, but some people like to go manual. that is completely up to you.

Guest Thumper280

the 700r4 are virtually indestructable imo. you can shift manually if wanted but also put it in drive and haul balls. also you can get those trannies to withstand over 650 hp with no problems. they are really good for draging and for daily driving if needed. they have four gears which is easier on the engine and better on gas. and they can lay down some tourqe to the rear.

the 700r4 are virtually indestructable imo. you can shift manually if wanted but also put it in drive and haul balls. also you can get those trannies to withstand over 650 hp with no problems. they are really good for draging and for daily driving if needed. they have four gears which is easier on the engine and better on gas. and they can lay down some tourqe to the rear.

Not in my experience without spending alot of money.

Not in my experience without spending alot of money.

same here. I know a lot of camaro guys that had to dump money into them. Heck the 700r4 went out on our v6 chevy farm truck. If i were you I would buy a glide. I have 165 bucks in my glide (75 for glide, 30 for rebuild kit w/ red clutches, 60 to have a guy rebuild it) and i'm running 10's. The only thing i had to do is adjust the low band.

I don't know if this is a fact or theory, but if you put a glide in a light car (around 3000) you will pick up on your e.t. over a 3 speed. I know of a couple cars where this is true. That is the ONLY thing changed was the tranny.

I would use a th350 with a performance rebuild (clutches, shift kit, ect).

Use a 3.90 gear diff and a 3000rpm stall. Use 10:1 cr, compcam 292H, and a 150hp shot of n02.

Should run 10's at over 130 mph on n02 and 11's at 120 on the motor.

I would use a first gen 350 with a good set of heads (dart iron eagle 200cc ports, 64cc chambers). The performer rpm intake and a 3310 holley 750 will also work well.

Just and update, a guy that I work with picked up 2 powerglides tonight. I think I might buy the one off of him, he said something like 50 or 75 bucks. And believe that I may have found a 350 block with crank for free, so that is definately a plus.

Would I be ok using the stock crank, or since Im replacing everything else do it as well.

In a dirt track engine you can get away with a stock crank cause the tires are spinning most of the time. On asphalt that isn't true the torsional forces on the crank are greater and it just won't last in even moderate 400HP engines IMO. I'd suggest using a stock steel crank or even an eagle crank that can be had for around $400 or less new.