HybridZ

Reaction Disk pictures and walkthrough

Lucky. I could not for the life of me get anywhere close to it, much less see it. I would spot it for a split second then lose it again.

I hate to admit it, but eventually I said to hell with it. I epoxied a 2 quarters together with a nickel in between them and attached them to the plunger and called it a day lol.

I will take another whack at it this weekend if the car doesn't need anymore immediate work.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since my 78 280z is basically the oldest vehicle I have ever driven, I never thought much of the crappy brakes. Plus I only drove the car a few times before it was gutted for a JTR style chevy conversion.

While cleaning up the brake booster I heard the disc rattling around inside. I shook it out instead of trying to open up the brake booster. It didn't take long for that thing to fall out. I roughed up the metal and the rubber a little bit and super glued the pieces together.

Good to know the brakes wont be so crappy after adding a few horses.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thank you for the help!! It is very much appreciated.

I got baptized in the reaction disk this weekend. I did notice that most of the posts here say to glue the disk in. I read the FSM and they say to use grease. I used grease and it works well so far. Should be good for another 20 years.

Thanks again for the assistance.

• 3 years later...

Bringing back this excellent thread...

Does the booster need to come off in order to remove the push rod assembly and check for the reaction disc? Even though blue72's was off the car, that doesn't seem like a necessary step from looking at the pics, correct? Granted, if the reaction disc is missing I suspect the booster has to come off to shake it out of there.

Also does removing the push rod tend to tear up that seal? I searched MSA and googled the internets at large but didn't come up with a replacement. Are seals typically reusable after pulling them out of the booster?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry about that, I just barely got new hosting and had to point the nameservers to the right place. I'm working on making sure everything is back up across the board. Looks like I still have to delete a bunch of old PMs though to make sure messages can get to me once more.

I tried to send blue72 a PM but got a message that blue72 is not able to receive any messages. None of the pics are loading up for me, is there any way to get them restored for this thread?