HybridZ

driveshaft yoke hits sway bar

So I've had my '76 280Z LS1 swap for a few months now give or take and when we first got it up and running the new driveshaft yoke would hit the rear sway bar on any significant acceleration. So the easy thing to do was remove it, problem solved. The driveshaft is the custom aluminum one from John's Cars Inc in Texas and it bolted right in.

Well my friend with an MR2 wants to do some lapping and I think I'd like to have a rear sway bar for that. I've searched a bit here and there and hadn't found anyone else running into this problem :? Good for you, bad for me.

I was running a 7/8" MSA rear bar for the record.

Can anyone post pics of their rear sway bar so I can see if mine was originally installed incorrectly from the last owner or if I have an anomoly on my hands.

Any input is appreciated guys.

Thanks

A couple of options.

Check your front pinion mount for movement.

Adjust your DS running angle to achieve more clearance. A vertical adjustment of your rear end may be all you need to gain the slight needed clearnace.

If your still running oem half shafts just switch to a 240 style rear mounted bar. It's an Easy swap.

A couple of options.

Check your front pinion mount for movement.

Adjust your DS running angle to achieve more clearance. A vertical adjustment of your rear end may be all you need to gain the slight needed clearnace.

If your still running oem half shafts just switch to a 240 style rear mounted bar. It's an Easy swap.

Thanks I'll take a look into this. Much appreciated.

jason

The spacer fits between the bushing and the body of the car.

That was my plan. But the 280Z has a welded on bracket with a 1 bolt and slot strap that holds the bushing in. Without major modification to that bracket I can't add the spacer.

I see your point. My car came with out any provisions for a rear bar so none of this was a big deal. If you want a rear bar, it looks like you will need to do some work. I'm not sure I would go to the trouble unless this was a track only car.

Right now its not a big deal. My car is pretty much a street car with an occasional trip the the drags.

I see your point. My car came with out any provisions for a rear bar so none of this was a big deal. If you want a rear bar, it looks like you will need to do some work. I'm not sure I would go to the trouble unless this was a track only car.