HybridZ

RB into subaru??

Guest Th3Cobb

I have an '06 STi for a DD and I'd never yank that thing for another motor. They are very nasty when built up. I honestly don't see any point along the $-to-performance scale where a Porsche motor would be superior; barring some current model exotically priced engine. Subaru's new blocks are very tough and well engineered and ridiculously cheaper than a Porsche engine.

Don't get me started on the Mitsubishi EVO thing. I used to have one as a shop car (and development platform). First EVO to have an AEM in it. (even before AEM did, LOL) However, that thing wasn't dubbed Satan by everyone who knew it for no reason. I never had a ton of issues with it (it ran very nasty, actually) but the current owner has put no less than 3 built motors in it so far.

I have an '06 STi for a DD and I'd never yank that thing for another motor. They are very nasty when built up. I honestly don't see any point along the $-to-performance scale where a Porsche motor would be superior; barring some current model exotically priced engine. Subaru's new blocks are very tough and well engineered and ridiculously cheaper than a Porsche engine.

Don't get me started on the Mitsubishi EVO thing. I used to have one as a shop car (and development platform). First EVO to have an AEM in it. (even before AEM did, LOL) However, that thing wasn't dubbed Satan by everyone who knew it for no reason. I never had a ton of issues with it (it ran very nasty, actually) but the current owner has put no less than 3 built motors in it so far.

for the record, the Scooby "brumble" is an acquired tasted, but its a somewhat unanymously accepted "taste" and my usual crowd of guys that I race with are v-8 guys. it's a 4-cyl with one of the most unique sounds you can get. tumultuous sound? must be a pretty shitty sound if your the kind of guy who likes GM v-6 noise.:burnout:

wizardblack- I've been anti DSM ever since I grew out of my short lived eclipse phase (sorry mavis, you know how it goes, see crank, see crank walk, walk crank walk.)

even though i like the look of the new evo X i dont think I could ever own a mitsubishi.

mavis- I'll save my ideas for an RB25 swap for a more worthwhile chassis like an s14... or an f-body(just to piss off as many people as possible)

Or you could swap into a Zcar; then you really would have a hybrid Zcar and we could help you a lot more. :)

lol of course. i had considered a datsun 280z project too. I'm not quite ready for my next project just yet, so my decisions on what I do can still be swayed.

You would never forsake your car with the superior 4g63? Yeah, it would be a shame to toss in a better engine.

I actually have an STi shortblock with CP 100mm pistons. I'm already at the 2.5L level, the only thing i don't have that the sti's do is the AVCS (variable valve timing, like honda v-tec... only cooler... and... more...variable...)

I have a GDB chassis and i will NEVER forsake my subaru brethren by putting a 4G63 in here... Shitsubishi FTL.

I meant to post yesterday but this forum wasn't working for me. I really like the sound of Nissan 6-cyls, and I praise the RB26. I was considering the originality of the project, and the potential for reliable power.

I already have stars in my eyes to finish off porting the stock 2.0 heads that I already have, buying some wicked cams, and upgrading whatever else I can think of and just make my car a complete freak.

It was either continue on my current path of maxing out this current platform, or try something new and innovative and sell this motor while it still has less than 5k miles on it. Thanks for the information. While I'd die of complete automotive euphoria everytime I even looked at my car if I were able to do the swap, I think it may be beyond my level of expertise... and financial ability.

on the topic of v-8 swapped subaru's and their inability to retain AWD. The best way to convert even a stock WRX or STi to RWD is to first block off the middle diff, or remove the front two. in the case of the front wheel hubs, you have to dismantle the front half-shafts, to retain the wheel hub side, which removes the risk of lateral movement. I have a friend with a chevy v-8 swapped early 90's legacy. We had discussed what it would take to keep an AWD system, and it'd be too much of a hassle and not much room to work in. RWD in a subaru is completely safe if done right, and I do believe someone sells non-powered front hubs that fit perfectly in my car.

mavis... quit stalking me.:icon55:

thanks for the information guys. have you ever heard of someone doing an EJ swap into a silvia chassis?

as for other guy? I've seen as many 2jz get crankwalk as I have seen 6 bolt 63's The 7 bolt crankwalk is a dsm only issue.

You would never forsake your car with the superior 4g63? Yeah, it would be a shame to toss in a better engine.

as for other guy? I've seen as many 2jz get crankwalk as I have seen 6 bolt 63's The 7 bolt crankwalk is a dsm only issue.

apparently i've offended a dsm-er. :lmao:IMO the 4G63 is not better. but what do I know? I'm a subaru guy, the sound of angry bees coming out of a pack of jelly beans isn't my idea of a great sound.

superiority is arguable, and being on a nissan forum how about we add the SR20 to the mix, which from what I've seen from the few friends who have done the s13/silvia conversions have done very well of handling what mods they've decided to do. there is no supremacy for 4-cylinders. if you want to get mocked you buy a honda, if you want to drift you buy a nissan, if you want AWD you buy a subaru, and if you want a car that was supposed to be FWD and then they decided to add RWD to it then you buy a dsm or EVO.

It'd be stupid of me to put a shitsubishi power plant in a car that already has a turbo 4-cyl power plant. I was weighing out the option of putting in a bigger motor, not replacing it with something I don't like.

• 10 years later...
On 7/31/2019 at 5:30 AM, Snake eyes said:

Hi everyone I was wondering if it’s possible to swap an rb26 into a 2004 Subaru wrx sti and if so what would I have to do 

This is a forum for Datsun and Nissan Z cars.  You would probably be better off posting your question in a Subaru forum.

On 7/31/2019 at 2:30 AM, Snake eyes said:

Hi everyone I was wondering if it’s possible to swap an rb26 into a 2004 Subaru wrx sti and if so what would I have to do 

Not really sure why you would want to do that swap outside of just want which is valid.  Probably not much info on such an obscure swap anywhere.  Most guys looking for big power just upgrade the EJ.  There's a few out there that go H6.   

If you're asking that question, you can't do it.

Either spend a ton of money having an auto fabrication shop doing all the work for you, or change your mind on doing it.

If none of those options are suitable for you, then spend hours and hours learning to fabricate and pour over other peoples build threads until you can find enough similarity in swapping some engine into a Subaru, and swapping an RB engine into something that normally doesn't have one.

• Like 1

If you don't know what is involved, most likely it won't be for you.

I've seen a couple 2jz subaru on the internet, so it is "possible," but it really will be far from bolt on, or a list of parts. I doubt you would use the subaru drive train which means either loosing awd, or using an AWD RB26 setup and shortening/lengthening axles, moving or modifying firewalls, moving or modifying subframes, trans tunnel so on and so on.