HybridZ

RB into subaru??

Guest Th3Cobb

Hey guys, I was googling RB26 and subaru hoping to find someone who has put one of these in a car like mine. did the RB25 come in AWD, because from what I've heard RB26 drivelines are kind of funky, and a lot more electronically controlled.

Although the specific chassis hasn't been mentioned, I would have to assume that it's similar to the WRX/Impreza chassis.

I was going to buy an Impreza wagon at one time that had a bad engine (needed it's 4th head gasket in two years). I measured it up for a V6, that is about half the length of the RB, and there was no way it would fit into the Impreza, without lengthening the front end. This was using the Subaru driveline. Using a different driveline that placed the engine farther back in the chassis would have worked, but too much work for my intended use of the Impreza, since that would require the installation of a transfer case, that would mean floor modifications that may or may not be feasible.

Subies are Flat 4's and their engine bays are only big enough for a 2 cyl long motor, I've never worked on one myself, but a mate raced one once, and the Porsche engine is pretty much the only power plant that will go it without enormous amounts of chopping up the engine bay. Another option might be the old Bedford van V4's with a turbo.

RB26 is AWD. RB25 is RWD

rb26's come with the more complicated awd system standard in gtr's, however there are rb25's and maybe even rb20's which come 4wd from the factory (in r33 gts-4's i think they are called, and stagea's) I am not sure what awd system the rb26 stageas are running, but i'm sure http://www.skylinesaustralia.com would have the info you're after.

to me the swap seems like to much effort, specially when u can get 2.5litre turbo motors which would just bolt in...

There was a guy who swaped in a small block chevy into a legacy wagon selling the car here locally. Ran it in rear wheel drive only. I would guess that all the 4x4 assembly was removed.

Douglas

I would guess that the front wheel bearings would need to be replaced regularly, because when you run a setup like that. he probably just removed the half shaft portion, it puts more vertical torsional forces on the bearings without the support of the shafts.

thats if he's running a stock front setup.

I would guess that the front wheel bearings would need to be replaced regularly, because when you run a setup like that. he probably just removed the half shaft portion, it puts more vertical torsional forces on the bearings without the support of the shafts.

thats if he's running a stock front setup.

The only thing that needs to be done is to retain the outer CV joint to keep the bearing together. The load will not change on the bearing with or without the shafts in place.

I honestly don't think the RB has much on the EJ257, but that's just me, I guess. I've built 650+ WHP STi's for customers so I'm probably a tad "slanted" I guess. Sounds is totally preference, IMHO.

I bet you could fit a 4-cylinder like the 4G63 into a GC8 or GDx chassis, but only as RWD.

reliability a inline 6 will always have much less stress on the engine for the hp made equivilent to a inline 6. If you wanna stick with a boxer, screw the h6, put a damn porsche engine in it, they make much better boxer engines to begin with :)

Would be much easier to start with a nssan chassis that isnt too hard to convert like a s14.

If this is a bugeye, I dont know why you would ever want to do anything to that........ nm :)

I honestly don't think the RB has much on the EJ257, but that's just me, I guess. I've built 650+ WHP STi's for customers so I'm probably a tad "slanted" I guess. Sounds is totally preference, IMHO.

I bet you could fit a 4-cylinder like the 4G63 into a GC8 or GDx chassis, but only as RWD.

I actually have an STi shortblock with CP 100mm pistons. I'm already at the 2.5L level, the only thing i don't have that the sti's do is the AVCS (variable valve timing, like honda v-tec... only cooler... and... more...variable...)

I have a GDB chassis and i will NEVER forsake my subaru brethren by putting a 4G63 in here... Shitsubishi FTL.

I meant to post yesterday but this forum wasn't working for me. I really like the sound of Nissan 6-cyls, and I praise the RB26. I was considering the originality of the project, and the potential for reliable power.

I already have stars in my eyes to finish off porting the stock 2.0 heads that I already have, buying some wicked cams, and upgrading whatever else I can think of and just make my car a complete freak.

It was either continue on my current path of maxing out this current platform, or try something new and innovative and sell this motor while it still has less than 5k miles on it. Thanks for the information. While I'd die of complete automotive euphoria everytime I even looked at my car if I were able to do the swap, I think it may be beyond my level of expertise... and financial ability.

on the topic of v-8 swapped subaru's and their inability to retain AWD. The best way to convert even a stock WRX or STi to RWD is to first block off the middle diff, or remove the front two. in the case of the front wheel hubs, you have to dismantle the front half-shafts, to retain the wheel hub side, which removes the risk of lateral movement. I have a friend with a chevy v-8 swapped early 90's legacy. We had discussed what it would take to keep an AWD system, and it'd be too much of a hassle and not much room to work in. RWD in a subaru is completely safe if done right, and I do believe someone sells non-powered front hubs that fit perfectly in my car.

mavis... quit stalking me.:icon55:

thanks for the information guys. have you ever heard of someone doing an EJ swap into a silvia chassis?

mavis... quit stalking me.:icon55:

Haha, I actually just signed up yesterday and stumbled across this. Looking for info on building an NA 2jz or vq35 swapped 240z when saw your post. Keep in mind cobb that with the way the RB26's awd system is setup and the overall size and weight of the motor (iron block twin turbo + 6 speed manual with transfer case) would mean that should it happen to fit in the front of the car it will be even more nose heavy to begin with.

I'd start out first by measuring two things. First off the overall length of your engine bay from firewall to radiator, and then measure the distance from the center of the wheels to the radiator.

These two measurements will be critical because right now your engine is really only 2 cylinders long longitudinally as opposed to 6, so although the RB only has 2 additional cylinders, it's going to be 4 cylinders longer than your EJ. The other measurement is important because the transfer case and driveshafts for the skyline run through the oil pan dictating the placement of the engine based upon the front driveshafts. This means no moving it forward or backward to any great degree without fubaring the angles of the front axles.

If you're really jonesing for an RB in the car I'd look into going rwd with an RB25. Much much simpler and will still have the sweet sweet sound of the Nissan inline 6. Keeping awd will most likely prove to be a very tricky endeavor.