HybridZ

Manifold Merging.... ITB's???

Challenger

IMG_20841.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

Well I had a few minutes, spare broken p79 and a toyota intake runner thing (looked cool at junkyard, and Im a sucker). Cut off the runner/plenum of the p79 and split apart the toyota manifold. Its a close fit on the original intake pieces and the toyotas (how runners meet up) but Im hoping I can do some cutting and get it to fit. The end design would be the two connected together with the toyota part completely shaved off all the brackets and junk, and then either a plenum bolted to the right side of the toyota runners, or three TB's.... :) :)

Let me know what you think. Now I need to know someone that can weld aluminum...

Guest 280ZForce

Looks like an awesome lil fun project there. Should work out nicely, but I'd be concerned to use a plenum in the sense with how the runners go opposite directions. Maybe if the air entered the plenum for the side middle or top middle you'd be ok, otherwise I see runners 1-3 starving for air possibly with a normal plenum lay out.

What do you mean braze? All I have is a mig welder and a mapp torch.

brazing them together, means heating up both sides at the same time so that the 2 sides are red hot and use some flux filler rod and melt it along the seam to merge the pieces together. it comes out smoother than a weld, is easier to clean up and easier to hide as if the pieces were seamless if you wanted to even. It merges the pieces together via the rod, brazing is bonding them together similar to how glue works, instead of standard welds that melt both joining pieces and the rod to bond.

The video will explain it more.

Would a mapp gas torch work for this? I had bought some of the aluminum welding rod and it really only works on small stuff since you have to get the metal to around 700+ degrees. I tried it on a turbo manifold and it just couldnt get it hot enough (heat dissapated to quickly through the rest of the manifold)

Guest 280ZForce
Would a mapp gas torch work for this? I had bought some of the aluminum welding rod and it really only works on small stuff since you have to get the metal to around 700+ degrees. I tried it on a turbo manifold and it just couldnt get it hot enough (heat dissapated to quickly through the rest of the manifold)

I'd really try a simple and cheap method like one of these for aluminum especially since it's a project you're just testing on a budget of spare parts... quick and easy to do and will turn out nicely.

http://durafix.com/

http://www.weldguru.com/braze-aluminum.html

Guest 280ZForce

I think if you're going to plan to use this on a n/a application it'll work great just with filters on it.

If you plan to use on a turbo setup, I do suggest trying to get some cfm plots with a design of the plenum you plan of building to have sufficient air flow and stray away from bad flow that could cause some problems mostly because of how those runners are shaped on the front 3 as I mentioned before.

But nonetheless looks like it'll be a bad ass looking manifold in the end result.

"Brazing is a process for joining similar or dissimilar metals using a filler metal that typically includes a base of copper combined with silver, nickel, zinc or phosphorus. Brazing covers a temperature range of 900ºF - 2200ºF (470ºC - 1190ºC). Brazing differs from welding in that brazing does not melt the base metals, therefore brazing temperatures are lower than the melting points of the base metals. For the same reason, brazing is a superior choice in joining dissimilar metals. Brazed joints are strong. A properly-made joint (like a welded joint) will in many cases be as strong or stronger than the based metals being joined. "

I copied that from brazing.com Its pretty easy too and it does work well the map torch alone might not be hot enough. You can buy at homedepot etc.. a map gas/propane and oxygen torch they work really well. Just be sure you have everything ready and in place before you start them those little oxygen bottles run out quick and there like 10$ each up here.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672982&bmUID=1221929993695&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443256940&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

This is the setup you need or similiar look around at garage sales for them I have picked myne for 3$. Works great you can even weld steel with it. dont get a mini kit like this with a cutting ability this is just too small the brazing/welding tip works pretty good tho. I guess the ideal thing to do would be get a real full oxy/accetelyne setup.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...