HybridZ

post me some questions

All my book says is 14010207 is a 80-85 350 and it could be a 2 or 4 bolt main block.

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/casting.html

Thanks, i couldnt find it in the book i got it only talked about bowties and didnt help. i havent torn it down yet been waiting to have time to might get it donw this weekend.

if i use some vortec heads off a truck could i use a aftermarket tpi intake mani? might go tpi instead of carbed.

thanks again

Thomas

As long as the intake manifold has the "vortec" bolt pattern it will work with vortec heads.

Like these ones.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294925239+4294839079+4294822100+4294908395+4294908216+4294840140+4294889107+4294901803+115

You also have the option to get new vortec heads if you dont feel like putting junkyard parts on.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=vortec&N=700+4294925232+4294838998+115+4294867081&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Thanks, i couldnt find it in the book i got it only talked about bowties and didnt help. i havent torn it down yet been waiting to have time to might get it donw this weekend.

if i use some vortec heads off a truck could i use a aftermarket tpi intake mani? might go tpi instead of carbed.

thanks again

Thomas

As long as the intake manifold has the "vortec" bolt pattern it will work with vortec heads.

Like these ones.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294925239+4294839079+4294822100+4294908395+4294908216+4294840140+4294889107+4294901803+115

You also have the option to get new vortec heads if you dont feel like putting junkyard parts on.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=vortec&N=700+4294925232+4294838998+115+4294867081&Ntk=KeywordSearch

yea i thought about that. Half the people i know are like "you dont need to spend that much on heads" im like.... stock heads dont flow good past like .420 lift i hurd. I dont know about stock vortecs tho, i will probably end up getting heads like those tho.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0506_gm_bow_tie_vortec_small_block_engine/index.html

don,t ignore the far better large port versions I linked to earlier in this thread

Theres a guy in the gen III and IV chevys putting a ls1 intake on a block with vortec heads i think and i was wondering if i use vortecs could i use a ls1 tpi intake or am i understanding it wrong? do they have the same bolt pattern or whatever? or am i totally off my rocker in thinking this?

I like the way the ls 1 intakes look better then the tpi ones, and i just thought of something while typing this. If my blocks a 80-84 block can i still use vortec style heads and tpi manifold if i cant use a ls1 intake?

Does what im asking make sence?

Thomas

Theres a guy in the gen III and IV chevys putting a ls1 intake on a block with vortec heads i think and i was wondering if i use vortecs could i use a ls1 tpi intake or am i understanding it wrong? do they have the same bolt pattern or whatever? or am i totally off my rocker in thinking this?

I like the way the ls 1 intakes look better then the tpi ones, and i justthought of something while typing this. If my blocks a 80-84 block can i still use vortec style heads and tpi manifold if i cant use a ls1 intake?

Does what im asking make sence?

Thomas

Most likely he is using the LS intake with the newer gen 3/4 style vortec heads and block that have different shape ports then the older engines.

For your 80-84 gen1 block you want to use the 96-99 style vortec heads. They will bolt right on. I'm using them on a 70 4 bolt main block. Then just find a manifold you like with the vortec pattern.

Hope that helps.

Most likely he is using the LS intake with the newer gen 3/4 style vortec heads and block that have different shape ports then the older engines.

For your 80-84 gen1 block you want to use the 96-99 style vortec heads. They will bolt right on. I'm using them on a 70 4 bolt main block. Then just find a manifold you like with the vortec pattern.

Hope that helps.

darn thats depressing, not really woulda been cool to use a ls1 type intake they look soo cool but i dont have the money for a ls1 haha. It helps, as i always tell Grumpy when i ask him weird questions. My job is extreamly boring and so is my life so all i do is think think think. Then before i know it im thinking of ideas that end up not workable or so you know what i mean?

Thomas

ps thanks again for the help

Grumpy, I think it is awesome that you are helping so many people. If you have a minute I would like your ideas on selecting a different camshaft for my 385. It is currently in a '78 camaro in front of a T-56 and a 4.10/posi, but it may end up in a 240Z soon. It puts down 340 Rwhp, and 370lb tq. Torque is better than 350 from 3000-5000, But it gives up the hp sharply at about 5500rpm. The dyno owner said there is more in it but it was running @ 10:1 AFR from 4000 on up according to his wideband. However according to my LM-1 it runs consistant at 12.7-13.2 AFR all the way up and the plugs look good and clean. The bottom end is built to spin north of 6500 if I want to, but that will require a cam change, and I would like to know what your recommendation is on a cam, here are the specs.

.040 over 4 bolt block, decked to 9.000"

5140 Crank, Eagle H-beam 6" rods, and Dished pistons @ about 10.2:1, C&A ZeroGap rings, Jesel Belt Drive, TFS 62cc, 195cc heads,

RPM AirGap, and Edelbrock 750, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" True Dual exhaust

Mallory Digital6, and Accel HEI.

and the cam in it now:

Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller, 4/7 swap, small base circle

270/280 advertised dur

219/224 @ .050 dur

.526/.525 Lift w/1.5 RollerRockers

106 intake centerline

110 LSA

It builds 195-200 psi on hot comp. test

This thing runs great on the street, but I want to see just what is possible with this engine. It might get a 700R4 behind it in the near future as well, so a recommendation on the stall would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Grumpy, I think it is awesome that you are helping so many people. If you have a minute I would like your ideas on selecting a different camshaft for my 385. It is currently in a '78 camaro in front of a T-56 and a 4.10/posi, but it may end up in a 240Z soon. It puts down 340 Rwhp, and 370lb tq. Torque is better than 350 from 3000-5000, But it gives up the hp sharply at about 5500rpm. The dyno owner said there is more in it but it was running @ 10:1 AFR from 4000 on up according to his wideband. However according to my LM-1 it runs consistant at 12.7-13.2 AFR all the way up and the plugs look good and clean. The bottom end is built to spin north of 6500 if I want to, but that will require a cam change, and I would like to know what your recommendation is on a cam, here are the specs.

.040 over 4 bolt block, decked to 9.000"

5140 Crank, Eagle H-beam 6" rods, and Dished pistons @ about 10.2:1, C&A ZeroGap rings, Jesel Belt Drive, TFS 62cc, 195cc heads,

RPM AirGap, and Edelbrock 750, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" True Dual exhaust

Mallory Digital6, and Accel HEI.

and the cam in it now:

Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller, 4/7 swap, small base circle

270/280 advertised dur

219/224 @ .050 dur

.526/.525 Lift w/1.5 RollerRockers

106 intake centerline

110 LSA

It builds 195-200 psi on hot comp. test

This thing runs great on the street, but I want to see just what is possible with this engine. It might get a 700R4 behind it in the near future as well, so a recommendation on the stall would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sorry I took a while to get to this (I HAD COMPUTER PROBLEMS)

to relieably spin that rpm level and to make consistantly better power in a first gen sbc youll want to use a semi mild solid roller lifter cam,and solid lifters designed for a hot street use, and inspite of what most guys tell you hydraulic roller cams in gen 1 sbc engines do tend to get into valve control issues above 6500rpm, in gen 1 sbc , with its smaller dia cam cores but because of the larger base circle the LS1 engines the same lifters tend to work ok to about 6700-6800rpm

similar to these specs (LSA ,DURATION, LIFT)

http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=00425&x=13&y=9

Grumpy,

Hi I've been thinking about doing a swap and making some power with my 280zx but i dont no what route to take. Im 18 about to graduate and i wanted to do a swap over the summer. I could get my hands on an lt1 or old carb'd 350 pretty easy. But i want to daily drive the car and i want the swap to be not insanely hard. Other than a different drive shaft, trans, fuel pump, and motor mounts. what else would i need for an older 350 swap? and what different would i neet for an lt1 swap? and lastly witch one would be easier? thanks

Hi grumpy I have just pulled the cam from a 2 bolt 350 (going in my z) it was a little lumpy on idle and has done 90,000 mls so I am only doing a freshen up my problem is what is the cam as I would like to upgrade but purchased the motor second hand I do have the numbers off the end of the cam 965584 these are stamped n0 and it has casting marks cmc & 1539 can you put any light on what it is thank you . PS keep up the good work . ALEC.

Grumpy,

Hi I've been thinking about doing a swap and making some power with my 280zx but i dont no what route to take. Im 18 about to graduate and i wanted to do a swap over the summer. I could get my hands on an lt1 or old carb'd 350 pretty easy. But i want to daily drive the car and i want the swap to be not insanely hard. Other than a different drive shaft, trans, fuel pump, and motor mounts. what else would i need for an older 350 swap? and what different would i neet for an lt1 swap? and lastly witch one would be easier? thanks

BUY AND READ THRU THE JTR MANUAL AS THE FIRST STEP!

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

NEXT ID STRONGLY ADVISE FINDING A LOCAL GUY WHO HAS DONE THE SWAP TO HELP OR AT LEAST SOMEONE FAMILIAR WITH ENGINE SWAPS THATS GOT TOOLAS AND A WELDER, IF YOU WERE LOCAL ID SUGGEST BRINGING IT BY AND WE COULD DISCUSS OPTIONS

Hi grumpy I have just pulled the cam from a 2 bolt 350 (going in my z) it was a little lumpy on idle and has done 90,000 mls so I am only doing a freshen up my problem is what is the cam as I would like to upgrade but purchased the motor second hand I do have the numbers off the end of the cam 965584 these are stamped n0 and it has casting marks cmc & 1539 can you put any light on what it is thank you . PS keep up the good work . ALEC.

965584 is NOT a chevy, crane,crower,blue racer,isky,lunati,erson ,doug herbert, chet herbert,or any other companys cam, part number IM familiar with

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 406 the front header tubes 2 and 4 are not getting hot I have adjusted valves several times ,checked compression and checked for external vacuum leaks. I have checked timing (numerous times) rejetted carb the list goes on and on I will do the propane test sat ,I think the intake is leaking from the bottom. I also get a pop throught the exhaust every so often too in addition the car seems to want more initial timing than is usual ,20 degrees,there is no vacuum advance I have 15 degrees of mechamical advance . alsop these are dart heads 200 cc runner with 750 holley double pump .I have 17 pounds of vacuum at idle and 180 pounds of compression any ideas?