HybridZ

College automotive courses.

CalifaThugz

How was it for most of you that went? I'm going to start going to take college classes next semester, I'm going to take Automotive Engines and Drive Train, Engine performance and Advanced engine performance, I know I'll learn lots of things that I don't know, will it actually help me get a job when I'm out which will be when I'm like 18, I'm taking two years for college while I'm in high school/home school.

VVC? If so, don't worry about Dan - he'll probably tell you himself that his bark is worse than his bite, and he's right. It's a pretty easy class if you can balance "getting it right" vs. "doing it fast". I have a copy of Dan's tool list still; you can pretty much count on failing if you don't get all the tools signed off or if you lose the signed-off list.

Make sure you team up early with people you can work with, as you'll probably be stuck with them all semester if you get lucky enough to get a full rebuild job. We only had one come in all semester, and it took all semester because in a 4-man team, I was the only one who showed up every day, ready to work. Took us about 11 weeks to rebuild a Ford 4.2 V6 with 2 blown headgaskets.

Most of the class did a lot of timing chains/belts and water pumps, frequently on school cars. One guy got to do some carb work because he brought his own in.

If you're going somewhere else, obviously, ignore all this. Except: have a set of good tools, and mark them with your name, last 4 of your social, whatever you prefer as a unique mark. Stamping, scribing, pick something (semi-)permanent.

Ha! No, when I took 51 Dan told us they had to be in a car. If the car had to be towed in that was fine (the F-150 did), but it had to be in an otherwise-driveable car. You can ask him though. You'd have to either supply the parts or pay list price, plus $20 service fee per work order.

I don't know why the automotive courses are filling up so fast lately. When I started they had like 10-15 openings in everything but 50, but the last semester I ended up in an ASL course because everything else had a waiting list. As busy as they've gotten lately, even the open labs had some trouble getting bay space.

Sent you a PM with the tool list and a few recommendations about the class. Another one is: they are a lot of work, so you may not want to take 2 12-unit courses in the same semester unless you're some kind of mechanical savant. I was pretty burned out just taking 51 and 97 (engines and MVAC), so the next time I only took 57 (brakes and suspension) and an open lab. Skipped winter term entirely.