HybridZ

Young new Z owner! Where to start?

nosetackle63

Have you removed them yet?:)

No, not yet. Im getting the money together right now for the intercooler. I have found some kits on craigslist with BOV's and piping, and the prices are hovering around $350-$500. I figure it would be a good idea to protect the engine as much as possible from the get go.

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to go a new route with this thing.

I love the L28ET but I want some real muscle. Im planning on drag racing a bunch of my buddies, and the big thing around here is classic muscle. My real good buddy is getting a perfect condition '70 Cuda, with a 340 and all the trimmings. He said his cuda could whoop my z any day. And as it sits now, Id put up a real good fight and lose in the 1/4 mile, but he wont be any kind of match when I get my V8 swap. Im probably going the High Cubic Inch SBC route with a 700R4 tranny.

But thanks to all that have contributed their knowledge in the effort to not let me look like an idiot and blow my engine in a week!!!

Just an fyi. If you searched here a bit 300 to 400hp out of a turbo l6 is not Tooo difficult to do. That engine is tough as nails. As long as you keep a good tune you can flog it all day long. Well much as most engines.

There is a good reason that engine can easily go 300k plus.

The learning experience is also a plus useing more exotic equipment, in comparison to large displacement carburator set ups.

Each is fine, I'm just letting you know there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Also there are a lot of v8 conversions here, go to the v8 section:) cheers!

Just an fyi. If you searched here a bit 300 to 400hp out of a turbo l6 is not Tooo difficult to do. That engine is tough as nails. As long as you keep a good tune you can flog it all day long. Well much as most engines.

There is a good reason that engine can easily go 300k plus.

The learning experience is also a plus useing more exotic equipment, in comparison to large displacement carburator set ups.

Each is fine, I'm just letting you know there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Also there are a lot of v8 conversions here, go to the v8 section:) cheers!

Thanks for all the help!! I relly love the L28, but I kinda want something different. I know alot of people do the swap, but so far (in Olympia at least) I have yet to see one in person. Also, I am a true V8 man at heart (before the Z I had a '73 F-250 w/ a 460:]).

Trust me, I love the sound of the turbo, but I melt every time I hear the rumble of some Super 44's on a nice V8.

One last real quick question. How much should I sell the L28ET for? It runs perfectly, and is 99% complete (I dont have the weird injector cooler thing), with the T5 tranny???

Coming from a guy that switched from domestics to imports, throwing a sbc in there won't prove anything to your friend. If anything he'll say that you conceded that american engines are better by putting one in your car.

I dont really care to prove anything, besides the fact that the Datsun will hold up to the engine. I truly love this car, and if I really wanted to be like all the rest of my buddies I would have kept my '73 Ford F-250 with a big block and a lift. But I really love how different the car is, and how even more different it will be when I finish with the swap.

Thanks for all the help!! I relly love the L28, but I kinda want something different. I know alot of people do the swap, but so far (in Olympia at least) I have yet to see one in person. Also, I am a true V8 man at heart (before the Z I had a '73 F-250 w/ a 460:]).

Trust me, I love the sound of the turbo, but I melt every time I hear the rumble of some Super 44's on a nice V8.

One last real quick question. How much should I sell the L28ET for? It runs perfectly, and is 99% complete (I dont have the weird injector cooler thing), with the T5 tranny???

Then do what you love, its no problem here!:) I just wanted to let you know. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
L28 For Life!!!!

Sorry, but I'm looking for a more stable platform for horsepower ;)

I know I will catch crap for that, but honsetly I could spend like $1200 and come out with like 345-360hp with the swap, or spend like $2500 for the same power by upgrading the L28. Also, by making all that power from the L28 I would lose driveability and reliability. I know it's basically blasphemy on here to say this, but really the L28 just cannot compare to a v8. And upgraded L28 can't even compare to a stock 383!

:) haha sorry y'all!

This is HYYBRIDz. So its all cool. What you have available to you, including knowledge, will be your best guide and most cost effective. Your goals are for torque and hp, not all goals are the same here. Just remember when posting.

Also, I love the l28, however, when said and done I'm thinking of a different plant as well.

Sorry, but I'm looking for a more stable platform for horsepower ;)

I know I will catch crap for that, but honsetly I could spend like $1200 and come out with like 345-360hp with the swap, or spend like $2500 for the same power by upgrading the L28. Also, by making all that power from the L28 I would lose driveability and reliability. I know it's basically blasphemy on here to say this, but really the L28 just cannot compare to a v8. And upgraded L28 can't even compare to a stock 383!

:) haha sorry y'all!

Not true, but good luck with your swap only wish you the best as your only 16. As i know how it feels being 16 with a zx and now 18 with 2 zx's and two supras lol.

GOOD LUCK.