HybridZ

240Z to EFI Fuel Pump Location Help Needed

S30TRBO

Here is the modified stock 240 gas tank with sump/baffled:

IMGP0278.jpg

Walbro fuel pump is mounted on the rear sway bar right side ears. A 45 degree AN fitting from the feed will be below the chapman arm when the suspension is fully compressed. It doesn't look right and I am thinking if a rock takes the AN fitting out I am toast. I also read that the pump needs to be below the tank but what do you do when the tank is damn near the lowest part?

DSCF0282.jpg

DSCF0283.jpg

I was told to use the 280Z stock fuel pump mounting bracket? Is this a better alternative?

I guess I could mount it by the rear battery cables up by the spare tire well but then it will be higher than the tank. Thoughts?

IMGP0281.jpg

I have a external Surge Tank, so you probably won't need to crunch everything up back there like I did. (two pumps, two filters) You could use a similar bracket design, and mount the pump pretty low. (The pumps sit below the middle of the tank) Since you were concerned with rocks/road crap hitting your pump, you could mount it on the top side of this bracket, and it will be protected.

Hyb_FuelSystem280z_20.JPG

Hyb_FuelSystem280z_16.JPG

Hyb_FuelSystem280z_05.JPG

I just converted my carbureted car over to EFI and moved the new pump to the front of the rear control arm. If you don't have a rear sway bar there is a hollow area under the car with enough room to fit the pump and filter. It is lower than the stock tank.

BTW I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but the manufacturer recommends you mount those straight inline pumps horizontal and not vertical.

I tried using the original electric pump mount that was on my 240 when I got it. It would have worked, I just didn't like how far into the wheel well the tube between the pump and filter was going to be. So I made a new mount that moved the pump closer to the middle of the car.

I know I have more pictures, but only have these two uploaded to my webspace.

Fuel%20pump%20feed.jpg

fuel%20pump%20mount.jpg

• 3 years later...

I know this is an OLD thread but I have a relevant question. After tons of reading on fuel injection fuel pumps being pushers not pullers and reading the Walbro sticky, I want to find a way to mount my pump below the fuel tank. Obviously this is difficult with how low the tank is, so I though "how about mounting it to the tank.

zfuel%2520pump2.jpg

Zfuel%2520pump.jpg

My question for the guru's out there is if there is an obvious reason why this would NOT be a good idea? I know the pump is more exposed than if it were tucked up higher, but honestly I don't imagine it is often that rocks get shot up at this region of the gas tank.

Thanks in advance for your input!