HybridZ

Check out my new paint job (okay, 3D render)

blue72

Without further ado, I give you the outcome of months of off and on 3D work:

billwilhelmdatsun240zbannersmalleredit.jpg

I thought you guys here might appreciate this. The plain render seemed a little lacking, so I added some period looking Datsun advertising touches. Personal preference dictated the carbon fiber hood and lack of fender emblems.

The car is all 3D, modeled painstakingly, down to the nuts and bolts. It is based on reference schematics, and eyeballing my own Z. The background is a photograph. I just wish my own car looked this good.

And just to confuse everyone not in the 3d industry, here are the specs:

Modeled in Maya, rendered with Mental Ray. Post processing and composite work done in Photoshop. Background image and lighting courtesy of sIBL.

If you want, the rest of my portfolio is on CGSociety (one of the other forums I am a member of) http://renderanything.cgsociety.org/gallery/

There you can see some of the other details on this model, and my full L-24 engine and transmission model.

Oh, and here is a link to the full 1920x1080 image, because some of the minute details like tire tread are easier to see in full size. Beware, 1.5mb.

http://www.renderanything.com/Pictures/BillWilhelmDatsun240ZBannerEdit.jpg

Feel free to tell me what you think.

At the moment, I haven't made the model commercially available. It's gigantic, 80mb and 800,000 plus polys, and that's without the drivetrain in it. It also represents hundreds of hours of work. You can't see it, but many of the small details are there as well. All of the suspension, much of the interior, and even such tiny things as the lettering on the brake calipers were all modeled.

I am entertaining letting some members here use parts of it for CFD simulations to further our understanding of aerodynamics with these cars. If/when I do decide to let others purchase/use the model I'll let the interested parties know.

Bill...you need to put that thing on Turbosquid so I can buy it...looks really good. They take 50% of your profit, but it's easy to setup an account. I work with 3ds Max a lot, photoreal architectural renderings for the most part. I use Vray or Maxwell for my renders. I don't get into hdri's much since buildings don't really need all the reflections. I'd be very interested in a medium res version to play around with.

Chuck

Outstanding amount of work, for real. I just, welll .... can you give the thing some HybridZ?

Truely not stepping on toes, and no I can not do that stuff, but, but...

Mabe I've seen too many of some of the fellows car here that ,,,,crap letting it go.

Oh, I don't mind suggestions. I'd love to model some RB-R's, super wide ZG flares, slam the thing, stick an airdam on it, corbeau seats, etc, etc... I just need to find some time to make all that stuff.

At the moment my render farm, which includes my main workstation, is tied up batch rendering an animation, and I've got more scenes to set up, plus regular life, you know. I'm sure I'll find some time eventually to make my own personal "dream car". Right now I'm trying to find a company out there that thinks my work is intriguing enough to pay me for it. Then I could afford to spend money on my real car again.