HybridZ

DC Water Jet's 202mph Z-Car

Back from the salt, We bumped our 202mph record up to 207mph. I was hoping for more but it didnt happen this year. I met one person from the forum out on the salt but i dont recall there name. we learned alot and we will be back next year. broke a crankshaft in half. I will post some photos when my friend sends them to me.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

Back from the salt, We bumped our 202mph record up to 207mph. I was hoping for more but it didnt happen this year. I met one person from the forum out on the salt but i dont recall there name. we learned alot and we will be back next year. broke a crankshaft in half. I will post some photos when my friend sends them to me.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

Very nice.

That's HUGE! 5mph! Wow. Bummer on the crank.

I ended up at home running a backhoe for four days to move a wash, then went to Michigan for a week with my wife (no internet to speak of) and then back to LA for 24 hours before shipping to Sydney Australia, so this is the first I have gotten to check anything. SCTA website was next, after HybridZ!

Excellent bump on the record. I can't wait for the photos!

also met Jim Thomas driver of #236 orange Z that runs El mirage. a very nice man and i know he accomplished what he set out to do at Bonneville. I have some photos of the 2 cars together nose to nose on the salt. still waiting for photos from my friend.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

The aerodynamic shape could be much better, airscoops are now good either. Air intake should be integrated into the bodyline, thus not disturbing the flow. Excessive spoilers aint no good either. I recommend you study more aerodynamics.

Unless you have much experience and Proof in going over 200mph, I would refrain from making blanket statements like this with out some sort of constructiveness behind them.. SO I guess ,do tell.. give your detailed instructions on what better air scoops and less excessive spoilers to use with data or proof behind them.. Have you ever been on salt flats? MUCH MUCH different then tarmac.

The criticism does not bother me, I know we have alot of room for improvement on numerous things with the car. I do take pride knowing we built the car ourselves and have now set 3 landspeed records (documented) 06,08and 09, I was hoping for 225mph this year, It didnt happen. We learned alot and we will be ready for next year :)

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

That rear spoiler arrangement is interesting, it may reduce drag by cleaning up the rear airflow plus help stability. Obviously the air scoops are draggy but on the whole the car could be quite good for its purpose aero wise.

Anyway, someone out there going as fast as they can in the Z which has to be a good thing.

The criticism does not bother me, I know we have alot of room for improvement on numerous things with the car. I do take pride knowing we built the car ourselves and have now set 3 landspeed records (documented) 06,08and 09, I was hoping for 225mph this year, It didnt happen. We learned alot and we will be ready for next year :)

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

Yeah It hit me the wrong way as it wasnt constructive nor did it sound like Barts "advice" was given from exp. or first hand knowledge. Heck we all learn something new every day I Know I do!

Filmjay, I also wish to be in the 200mph club. Although I have set a record over 200mph twice I am not in the club. A few years back the 200mph club board decided to have min speeds for the club. In my class F/BFMS the min to get in the club is 225mph. Im confident I can reach that speed its just getting it all together for two runs. easier said then done. We knew the club at minimums when we started this project so there are no bad feelings there.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

Filmjay, I also wish to be in the 200mph club. Although I have set a record over 200mph twice I am not in the club. A few years back the 200mph club board decided to have min speeds for the club. In my class F/BFMS the min to get in the club is 225mph. Im confident I can reach that speed its just getting it all together for two runs. easier said then done. We knew the club at minimums when we started this project so there are no bad feelings there.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

Awwww...that's too bad. Why the differences in the rules for different classes? Is it because it's easier to do with certain body styles/aero packages/engine combos?

I'm rooting for you guys though. I feel like you guys are kinda like my hometown team. :D I know you'll get there.