HybridZ

Megasquirt wiring question...

jacob80

Hey guys, just about to begin the whole wiring process, but I have a couple questions. We will be running MS1 with the v3.0 pcb board (I think that is what it is called) and controlling spark with the MSnS code and using our MSD 6T ignition. But I'm looking at these diagrams and I am not sure which one to use. On the first one, there is no GM HEI "thing" (not even sure what it does) and on the other one there is. What do we need to to to run an L28ET with the stock '83 turbo distributor on it with MSnS, thanks guys! Here are the two diagrams.

msd_wiring.jpg

Here is the diagram iwith the "HEI" by the distributor

megasquirtmsdkcjversion4kd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The relay board is missing from both of those diagrams.

It will look something like this, but his diagram doesn't include MSD. Should get you started, though.

280zxt_relay_wiring.gif

Your db37 cable which you will either need to make or buy will run from the relay board to the ecu.

This diagram shows that you only need one wire off the distributor, is this right? I am wanting to run Megasquirt n' Spark if that helps. Also, what the heck is "WB02"?

I do not have a fast idle valve installed, will we still need to wire it up? We also have an MSD 6T box, is it compadible?

Still need this question anwered, also, is there really only one one wire coming off the distributor to the relay board? What about the other two wires and the ground? The ground may include the two wires, but regardless, what goes where?

8239mss_schematic.jpg

Thank you, but half of those letters I can't even read let alone know what they mean, and I thought I didn't need the GM HEI "thing" (I don't even know what it is used for) since I have the 83 turbo distributor? I am running megasquirt 1 pcb 3.0 with megasquirt 'n spark

You can trigger MS1 directly from the turbo distributor so you don't need the GM HEI module.

Since you already have a V3 board, if you're open to upgrading to MSII you could eliminate the MSD6 and have MS drive the coil directly. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/vb921.htm The benefits of the MSD multiple spark feature is debatable, and they don't have the best reputation for reliability.

MSII also supports MSII/Extra code including 16x16 tables for fuel and spark. There's nothing wrong with MS1 and MSnS/E, but the next generation is much improved. At this point all you would need is to buy the MSII processor which is about $90. And if you're thinking that you'll just start with I and later upgrade to II, you can do that, but keep in mind that you will have to retune from scratch. The fuel algorithms are different.

Again, I'm not saying you need to start with MSII, just that if it's in your plans for later, it's best to do it now.

Why would someone use the HEI if they could just use the distributor?

In your case you need three things to fire the spark plugs: a coil, a coil driver, and a distributor. The 83 turbo distributor does not contain a coil driver, therefore you need to supply one (either HEI module, IGBT transistor inside a v3.0 megasquirt, or some other ignition module like MSD). Becuase you are using v3.0 you will not need a GM HEI module.

Wire everything like the last picture you put up. But remember that two more wires from the 83 distributor need to be connected to the car. That is what the schematic above was showing. The black wire from the distributor connects to ground, the black with white stripe from the distributor connects to 12 volts. The wrie colors at the distributor change once you get to the first wire harness plug. The change is listed in the installation sticky, so make sure you know which side of the harness connector you are on when wiring up the distributor.

For the injectors, if you are running high impedance injectors then you can wire just like the last picture. If you are running low impedance injectors and pulse width modulation then you can also wire just like the picture. If you are using low impedance injectors but no pulse width modulation, then you need to wire resistors in for the injectors. There is a diagram in the sticky showing how to wire the resistors if you need them.

There are several ways to assemble the V3 board based on what type of trigger you use. I suppose for some it might be easier to use the GM HEI vs. modifying their board.

I would wire the distributor according to post 14 - that's the way I did it.

The E for extra refers to a different version of the firmware running on the MS board that gives additional features. Before you go any further you should spend several hours on the MS sites reading up on this. MS is increadibly flexible with many options, but that means you have to make decisions which are best done when you're informed. It's beyond a thread like this to cover the pros/cons and tradeoffs of the various approaches you can take. Better if you read up and ask some questions - that will keep the threads to a reasonable length :wink:

One last thing: shortly after I finished my install (and while it was still fresh in my head) I did a writeup that covers some of this. You might find it helpful: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122277

Good luck!

There are several ways to assemble the V3 board based on what type of trigger you use. I suppose for some it might be easier to use the GM HEI vs. modifying their board.

I would wire the distributor according to post 14 - that's the way I did it.

The E for extra refers to a different version of the firmware running on the MS board that gives additional features. Before you go any further you should spend several hours on the MS sites reading up on this. MS is increadibly flexible with many options, but that means you have to make decisions which are best done when you're informed. It's beyond a thread like this to cover the pros/cons and tradeoffs of the various approaches you can take. Better if you read up and ask some questions - that will keep the threads to a reasonable length :wink:

One last thing: shortly after I finished my install (and while it was still fresh in my head) I did a writeup that covers some of this. You might find it helpful: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122277

Good luck!

I know we will be using the board to trigger, it is modified accordingly. That being said, where will the other wires off the distributor go since we're not using the GM HEI module?