HybridZ

best to get undercoating off

Turbo280Z

I am at the same point with turbo280z needing to remove the undercoating. I searched and searched for others suggestions and input and ended up trying a few mentioned methods on a small portion of the car. I started with heating torch and putty knife, then tryed "Mr. Muscle" oven cleaner and then finally the fastest method, using a SnapOn "Crud Thug" stripper tool. I still have to remove the majority of old undercoating but feel more than confident the crud thug will get me there much faster than other methods. The down side to using this is its initial cost. That's where ebay luckily saved me a fortune. There are some tight spots where I will resort to using the torch/scraper but for the most part its Crud Thug time. Best of luck with your removal job.

I did the torch and putty knife method. It worked but it was messy, stunk, and my throat hurt after.

I would go cold if I were you.

If you are talking about removing the sound deadener inside the car, cold is the way to go. I've used dry ice in a thick sock: lay the ice on the "tar" for about 30 seconds and tap it with a hammer or drive a steel putty knife between it and the steel floor. Using dry ice is quick. I removed all the tar in the interior of my Z in a little over an hour, even counting time for a beer.

Bottled nitrogen would be even faster. Cold tar is brittle and will shatter when hit with a hammer.

The cheapest if you can see Northern Lights is to park it outside for a night or two, then go to work on it before the sun rises.

g

well i have almost all of it out of the interior already. i used a hammer and fat chisle in the summer time. (in vegas).

my friend works at air gas (welding supply store) so i might just do the liquid nitrogen. hes been wanting to mess with some so this seems like a good time to do it.

it wont hurt the metal at all will it?

Guest colinthemann

Last summer I replaced the fuel tank on my 280z, and I found that gasoline dissolved the undercoating. This was entirely by accident, but it turns the undercoating into goo that can just be wiped off. As expensive as gas is that might not be your cheapest option, but it might work.

• 1 month later...