HybridZ

Bucky paper.. 10 times lighter then steel and 250 stronger then steel?

proxlamus©

Stronger Than Steel, Harder Than Diamonds: Researcher Developing Numerous Uses For Extraordinary 'Buckypaper'

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Working with a material 10 times lighter than steel -- but 250 times stronger -- would be a dream come true for any engineer. If this material also had amazing properties that made it highly conductive of heat and electricity, it would start to sound like something out of a science fiction novel. Yet one Florida State University research group, the Florida Advanced Center for Composite Technologies (FAC2T), is working to develop real-world applications for just such a material.

Ben Wang, a professor of industrial engineering at the Florida A&M University-FSU College of Engineering in Tallahassee, Fla., serves as director of FAC2T (http://www.fac2t.eng.fsu.edu), which works to develop new, high-performance composite materials, as well as technologies for producing them.

Wang is widely acknowledged as a pioneer in the growing field of nano-materials science. His main area of research, involving an extraordinary material known as "buckypaper," has shown promise in a variety of applications, including the development of aerospace structures, the production of more-effective body armor and armored vehicles, and the construction of next-generation computer displays. The U.S. military has shown a keen interest in the military applications of Wang's research; in fact, the Army Research Lab recently awarded FAC2T a $2.5-million grant, while the Air Force Office of Scientific Research awarded $1.2 million.

"At FAC2T, our objective is to push the envelope to find out just how strong of a composite material we can make using buckypaper," Wang said. "In addition, we're focused on developing processes that will allow it to be mass-produced cheaply."

Buckypaper is made from carbon nanotubes -- amazingly strong fibers about 1/50,000th the diameter of a human hair that were first developed in the early 1990s. Buckypaper owes its name to Buckminsterfullerene, or Carbon 60 -- a type of carbon molecule whose powerful atomic bonds make it twice as hard as a diamond. Sir Harold Kroto, now a professor and scientist with FSU's department of chemistry and biochemistry, and two other scientists shared the 1996 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for their discovery of Buckminsterfullerene, nicknamed "buckyballs" for the molecules' spherical shape. Their discovery has led to a revolution in the fields of chemistry and materials science -- and directly contributed to the development of buckypaper.

Among the possible uses for buckypaper that are being researched at FAC2T:

If exposed to an electric charge, buckypaper could be used to illuminate computer and television screens. It would be more energy-efficient, lighter, and would allow for a more uniform level of brightness than current cathode ray tube (CRT) and liquid crystal display (LCD) technology.

As one of the most thermally conductive materials known, buckypaper lends itself to the development of heat sinks that would allow computers and other electronic equipment to disperse heat more efficiently than is currently possible. This, in turn, could lead to even greater advances in electronic miniaturization.

Because it has an unusually high current-carrying capacity, a film made from buckypaper could be applied to the exteriors of airplanes. Lightning strikes then would flow around the plane and dissipate without causing damage.

Films also could protect electronic circuits and devices within airplanes from electromagnetic interference, which can damage equipment and alter settings. Similarly, such films could allow military aircraft to shield their electromagnetic "signatures," which can be detected via radar.

FAC2T "is at the very forefront of a technological revolution that will dramatically change the way items all around us are produced," said Kirby Kemper, FSU's vice president for Research. "The group of faculty, staff, students and post-docs in this center have been visionary in their ability to recognize the tremendous potential of nanotechnology. The potential applications are mind-boggling."

FSU has four U.S. patents pending that are related to its buckypaper research.

In addition to his academic and scientific responsibilities, Wang recently was named FSU's assistant vice president for Research. In this role, he will help to advance research activities at the College of Engineering and throughout the university.

"I look forward to bringing researchers together to pursue rewarding research opportunities," Wang said. "We have very knowledgeable and talented faculty and students, and I will be working with them to help meet their full potential for advancement in their fields."

whoa =)

That is flippen sweet!

C60 is such a cool molecule, it would be really interesting if they could come up with a economically feasible way of depositing this "film". Like they said in the article, it seems like this could have nearly endless applications.

Carbon Nanotubes are also self-repairing to an extent, inlike most substances which flap about loose when broken, the bonds in the nanotubes are such as they seek to join up again. one possible application is self repairing fuel tanks and wheels. imagine getting a puncture, removing the nail with pliers, pumping it up again and driving off.

"Because it has an unusually high current-carrying capacity, a film made from buckypaper could be applied to the exteriors of airplanes. Lightning strikes then would flow around the plane and dissipate without causing damage. "

I would welcome that advance. When a 737 I was in got hit coming into ORD, it blew a hold in the nose section...When I saw it, my first thought was 'They still use plywood in commercial aircraft?' The second was 'so that was what the bright flash and bumpy ride was about'...

Interesting nobody in the press release has made commentary on 'BuckyBalls'...I await Leno tonight... LOL

They still use wood for the nose cones on military aircraft too. It houses the radar array and doesn't interfere with the signal. I was very surprised to learn a mach 2+ aircraft can have a nose cone made of 3/8 plywood. I guess the beautifully formed curves adds quite a bit of strength, and there are ribs running throughout.

Still, this reminds me of technology that will exist for a long time before we see anything out of it. Reminds me of transparent aluminum (a form of aluminum oxide), and kevlar that's ultra-light and woven into fabric - fully bulletproof without the heavy back plates.

kevlar that's ultra-light and woven into fabric - fully bulletproof without the heavy back plates.

Wool Research NZ has a wool fabric made of woven wool and aramid fibres (not kevlar, but the same synthetic family as kelvar, which is itself an aramid fibre) which is exceedingly difficult to get a knife through, slashes don't work, and a stab needs both hands and a hefty lunge to penetrate. Whats more, it's no heavier than normal fabrics!

Theres lots of stuff out there thats rarely brought into the media light.

Back in the 1960s, Novozhilov and Leknitski wrote very technical books about the use of engineered materials with fibers aligned in specific uni-directional layups that had tailored stiffness and strength which were better (per pound) than materials typically used for constructing things at the time. Today, we call them composite materials. The one they were actually talking about as far as a readily available example: plywood.

"Don't hate the plywood!" LoL It's one of the first engineered "composite" materials (i.e., "matrix" (the glue), and "fibers" (as in wood fibers))

Hey, I'm not dissing plywood! Stitka Spruce's qualities are on par with Steel... Given the proper alignment.

My bud from school is a Structural Engineer-Archetict type. Had to get loads of zoning and building variances for the house he built. Really complex balconies and interior arches he designed using Aircraft Spruce as the structural components.

Big arguments with local 'experts' in buildings and plans...

But he got them through, has a nice overhung interior balcony in his atrium area from the second floor held up with a realy spindly looking plywood arch... You would swear it'd break off just from the weight of the balcony. But he showed me the drawings on how this plywood was stronger than steel in the same directional bias.

Just hope it never gets wet...

LOL

What about the De Havilland Mosquito, the "Timber Terror"? Those planes were made during WWII and constructred entirely of wood with a thin heat formed plywood skin over a balsa core. Piano and furniture builders were called in to make them. They were even powered by two supercharged Merlin engines, each making 1250 horsepower. It was the fastest operational plane of its day at 400 plus mph. Some of them even had a 4000lb bomb payload.

Trumps me, I've only ever cut and installed moulding in a house and other small projects.

The Gliders used on D-Day were produced in the UP of Michigan at the Ford Kingsford Facility, big milling and wood operation. Canvas covering.

Place where the BBQ Briquette Originated...because Mr. Ford was upset by all the 'Waste' of Sawdust at the facility. "Come up with something to do with that!"

And an industry was born!

But....recycling is 'new tech'! LOL

Tony, it's cool - I know you are an open minded engineer and understand that even low tech wood can be a good thing. But I also know that seeing wood in a high tech plane can be a bit "interesting". I was just jokin with ya. :)

The nano-stuff I see in NASA tech briefs is getting really interesting - if/when this stuff starts shaking out at affordable levels, we are going to see some pretty amazing stuff!

Yeah, I was coming up the ramp at O'Hare and everybody was hanging at the end of the jetway. Backing up getting off the plane. I was thinking 'WTF are all these people so enthralled at?' Got there and there was a big hole in the nose of the 737 we were flying along in! Made the national news...if you do a search on the internet it's likely you can see video of the United Airlines flight that got hit with lightning flying around Chicago in a storm. That was the plane I was on! Late 90's as I recall. Can't pin it down any closer than that. Probably post 95, but before 98...closest I can come.

But yeah, that was my first thought---would have expected some composite glass mesh or something.

Truthfully when I got on a small commercial carrier 'up north' and saw small diameter chrome-moly seat supports I had the same thought "Wow, they are still using steel on passenger aircraft?"

You would think aluminum...but not (what looked like) Oxy Acetylene Welded CrMo tubing!

You just get used to seeing some things, and when something from days past comes up, it kind of jumps out at cha!

Good example would be seeing Drum Brakes on all four corners of a car today. They work, and work well...but you just don't expect to see it.

Tom's house is wicked cool inside. He went whole hog on the use of aircraft plywood. Really spindly looking arches, dramatic design elements. He usually did Concrete Tip-Up structures...I think he needed the challenge. What we do with our cars, he did on his house! LOL

No worries, PP!

Yeah, I was coming up the ramp at O'Hare and everybody was hanging at the end of the jetway. Backing up getting off the plane. I was thinking 'WTF are all these people so enthralled at?' Got there and there was a big hole in the nose of the 737 we were flying along in! Made the national news...if you do a search on the internet it's likely you can see video of the United Airlines flight that got hit with lightning flying around Chicago in a storm. That was the plane I was on! Late 90's as I recall. Can't pin it down any closer than that. Probably post 95, but before 98...closest I can come.

But yeah, that was my first thought---would have expected some composite glass mesh or something.

Truthfully when I got on a small commercial carrier 'up north' and saw small diameter chrome-moly seat supports I had the same thought "Wow, they are still using steel on passenger aircraft?"

You would think aluminum...but not (what looked like) Oxy Acetylene Welded CrMo tubing!

You just get used to seeing some things, and when something from days past comes up, it kind of jumps out at cha!

Good example would be seeing Drum Brakes on all four corners of a car today. They work, and work well...but you just don't expect to see it.

Tom's house is wicked cool inside. He went whole hog on the use of aircraft plywood. Really spindly looking arches, dramatic design elements. He usually did Concrete Tip-Up structures...I think he needed the challenge. What we do with our cars, he did on his house! LOL

No worries, PP!

Hey Tony D-

I don't think that aircraft radomes are made of plywood, they are normally made in autoclaves out of layers of fiberglass and aluminum honeycomb material for strength. It made have appeared to have been made out of wood with the splinters that you saw from the fiberglass. Plywood would never stand up to the rain and temperature changes (-2 C for every 1000' increase in elevation) that aircraft go thru.

This type of fiberglass is brown in color and is used thruout the plane on panels.The radomes also have lightning diversion strips on the outside of them to give a path for the lightning to travel to the fuselage to try pass thru the aircraft.

Normally ( I say normally ) on a lightning strike, it will make a small hole in the radom or foward section of fuselage skin and pass out of the end of the wings or tails. It has been know to blow the ends of the ailerons and wingtips off as well. Part of the maintenance check after a recorded strike is to carefully inspect these areas for missing sections.

Sometimes (as you discovered in your flight) it will blow big holes in the radome itself. I was a flight engineer on 727's and 747's for 8 years, and have seen strikes, but normally they don't cause alot of damage.