HybridZ

Another case of Z fatigue

280Z Turbo

I've got a bad case of "Z fatigue". I'm starting to feel like my car is just not very fun to drive anymore.

For one thing, it's ugly. The paint looks horrible and it's a horrible color. I've also got that trademark Z rust with a giant hole in my rocker panel.

I hate the power delivery with my new Evo VIII intercooler. It has no bottom end anymore. I'm starting to miss the J-pipe.

The steering is worn out and imprecise. I think I need a whole new steering rack. It vibrates and shakes so bad that my arm gets tingly just from driving it.

The interior is obnoxiously loud, windows up or down. I've also got bad fumes, despite replacing a lot of the rubber.

It leaks oil like a sieve. It also leaks rainwater like a sieve so I can't even drive it anywhere that it might rain. I've got no idea where it comes from either. It just puddles onto my floor mats from some invisible place.

Oh and it seems I've got another R200 diff going out.

I don't have the money to fix these problems since I'm a poor college student. My car used to be so much fun and now it's not. I'm starting to think I'd be better off unloading it and buying an NA Miata or something. The problems are just so overwhelming.

Do you guys ever feel like this? If so, how do you deal with it?

Worry about college first, then you will have plenty of moolah to fix your hooptie with LOL.

Seriously though, concentrate on things that take time and labor.. not money. There is lots of stuff to do. Save up a little money at a time, and hold it waiting for a great deal on parts to pop up. It takes awhile, but the satisfaction of knowing that you used ever last dollar to its fullest will make up for it.

Hang in there man, its a long journey. Keep in mind, there is no perfection in cars. It is what it is. My S14 rides rough and can be difficult to street drive at times. There are days though, when I am cruising down the highway thinking this is the best car I have ever had......

Don't sit around thinking about what needs to be done, and how much it will cost. It will overwhelm you so fast its silly.

Evan

Ultimately its your car and you decide how you feel and the fate of the car, whether you sell it or keep it.

But of all the things you listed, alot of it is related to aesthetics. A good paint job, pull the rubber reseal the windshield (this is where the rain is seeping in), fix the hole in the rocker, put thicker pad and carpets in the interior etc is going to cost you a fair bit of $$ (if done right), probably the price of a first gen Miata.

Changing the rack is no more than $150 and takes a morning, fixing leaks is not a big deal either just requires perceverance and patience (like most things in life)

These cars are 30+ years old now and technology has made them seem very argricultural by today's standards, and naturally thing wear out, fail and need time and money, it happens to every car.

Your education is most important for sure, so that is where your focus should be. I will say I would never buy a Miata over a Z!

Good luck on whichever path you choose.

Yasin

What you failed to mention were the things you like about your Z. Take a few minutes to make a list of "Pros & Cons". You might look at things differently after that. Keep in mind that whatever you buy to replace the Z will come with its own list of "Cons". As others have said, College First, Make Big Bucks, Fix The Z.

Dennis

It's your location and time of year.

Move to SoCal and get some sunshine, and suddenly you won't think of killing yourself anymore, or unloading your Z.

It could be worse, you could be driving a rustbucket 84 Chevette Diesel...

(Though you could park in the UAW Local parking lot then, instead of across the street...)