HybridZ

280Z turning like a bus

Since I got my 77 280Z, I've always noticed that turning the steering wheel at low speed requires some serious torque. Now this isn't my first car without power steering, but the amount of force required seems unusual... is this likely to be an old worn bushing problem, something else, or is everything likely fine?

at tyres are you running on the front? when I re-tyred my old navara ute from 165 width hard light truck compound to 205 sticky mid performance car compound the steering went from passable to gorrila-shoulders at low speed, high speed was much better tho :D

I've driven two different 1977 280Z's for the past 32 years and they both were serious about keeping my shoulders and uper arms in tone. YOu just don't turn the wheel easily unless the tires are rolling. I doubt it's a steering problem. Confirm that your tires are properly inflated and then just know that is what you wil be dealing with. You'll note that several guys in this forum have solved that issue by adapting power steering systems from other cars.

Unfortunately, rack bushings are no longer available but can be manufactured by your favorite machinist - but that isn't the problem you described.

Look at the diameter of the OEM steering wheel - it's huge! It's designed that way to help overcome the forces required to move the front wheels in an unassisted rack and pinion set up. The only way to truely get 'better' low speed steering is to upgrade to a power rack, and that has been done and documented here at HybridZ.

Worn rack bushings would exhibit themselves as front end wobble at higher speeds, and even then you have a better chance of feeling worn outer / inner rod ends before a worn rack bushing.

It is too bad that the rack & pinion rebuild kits are NLA, though .....

I've driven two different 1977 280Z's for the past 32 years and they both were serious about keeping my shoulders and uper arms in tone. YOu just don't turn the wheel easily unless the tires are rolling. I doubt it's a steering problem. Confirm that your tires are properly inflated and then just know that is what you wil be dealing with. You'll note that several guys in this forum have solved that issue by adapting power steering systems from other cars.

This is a general rule of driving my father taught me... don't turn your wheels till your rolling, it just scrubs down the tire and wears it out quicker. Once your rolling even a little, the Z is rather easy to turn. Sitting still not moving, yes it is a bear, but like I said... try not to do that, just unescessary wear.