HybridZ

73 240z questions

dark91zc

i have done some searching and have not found the answers i am looking for. :(. i will start from the top. my friend has a 73 240z and we got it running yesterday for the first time in 7 years. the week before he changed the oil, plugs and wires. my brother and i started working on it. got the carbs tuned and it started. we let it warm up to norm temp, and started to rev it up. clear out some of the bad gas in the system. it has the dual hitatchi 72 240z carbs. ( his grandmother is the orignal owner and she was saying that the carbs in 73 would vapor lock. i dont know how true this is.) we revved it up a little bit more cleared out all of the black smoke. turned it off checked the water, the plugs, and gas from the fuel pump. just to make sure that everything is going smooth. my friend started it bad up and revved it alittle higher then before and all was fine. so we let it run for a little bit more and then i revved it 2 4500 and it started blowing white smoke out the exhaust like it was a fog machine. we shut the engine off. so we pulled plug 5 and it was full of water then pulled plug 6 and it had some water. then we pulled plug 4 and it was like a leaky facet pouring coolant out of the plug hole. we put a ratchet on the crank and turned it over to get the water out of the cylinder and it filled back up.

with that happening i told my friend i have a 280zx engine that he can have but we have to change some parts first. the engine is out of a 2+2, but i will looking at the head thread and the ports are different from what i noticed. my questions are these.

which exhaust manifold will be better to run?

which gaskets for intake and exhaust should i run?

what issues might i run into? or things easly overlooked?

thank you for your time to read this. :D

• 11 months later...
i have done some searching and have not found the answers i am looking for. :(. i will start from the top. my friend has a 73 240z and we got it running yesterday for the first time in 7 years. the week before he changed the oil, plugs and wires. my brother and i started working on it. got the carbs tuned and it started. we let it warm up to norm temp, and started to rev it up. clear out some of the bad gas in the system. it has the dual hitatchi 72 240z carbs. ( his grandmother is the orignal owner and she was saying that the carbs in 73 would vapor lock. i dont know how true this is.) we revved it up a little bit more cleared out all of the black smoke. turned it off checked the water, the plugs, and gas from the fuel pump. just to make sure that everything is going smooth. my friend started it bad up and revved it alittle higher then before and all was fine. so we let it run for a little bit more and then i revved it 2 4500 and it started blowing white smoke out the exhaust like it was a fog machine. we shut the engine off. so we pulled plug 5 and it was full of water then pulled plug 6 and it had some water. then we pulled plug 4 and it was like a leaky facet pouring coolant out of the plug hole. we put a ratchet on the crank and turned it over to get the water out of the cylinder and it filled back up.

with that happening i told my friend i have a 280zx engine that he can have but we have to change some parts first. the engine is out of a 2+2, but i will looking at the head thread and the ports are different from what i noticed. my questions are these.

which exhaust manifold will be better to run?

which gaskets for intake and exhaust should i run?

what issues might i run into? or things easly overlooked?

thank you for your time to read this. :D

by your description of the problem your are having, sounds like you blew a headgasket and/or cracked head, maybe thats why the car sat for 7 years. just pull the original head and get it checked out, just keep it nice and simple, unless you're looking to make some power...

• 2 years later...