HybridZ

Don't let people drive your car!

S130Z

So I was rudely awoken a moment ago (6:30 am:evil:) with my roomy telling me he can't get my 83 ZX started. He said he had to move it so he could get his dad's BMW out of the garage. I asked him what the car was doing and he said when he turned the key the car would just jump forward. No S**T, it's in gear. Then I went down to move the car because he was too incompitant and to my surprise there is absolutely no power what so ever. Not even a single inside light would come on.

The moral of this is NEVER LET YOUR FRIENDS HAVE THE KEYS TO YOUR CAR!!!!!!! Because when something goes wronge you have no clue to what it could be.

Sorry if I misspelled anything (which I probubly did), I'm still half asleep and just wanting to go back to bed. I'll figure this one out later.

Well now is the grulling task of figuring out what the problem is. When I mean there is no power to anything, there is absolutly no power to anything. Kinda like the battery is completely disconnected. I am suposed to move on Sunday and if I can't get her running by then I'm gonna be pissed.

Well now is the grulling task of figuring out what the problem is. When I mean there is no power to anything

Is the battery old ? Sometimes with an older battery a sudden jarring movement (like a roomate starting the car in gear) can knock a plate or two loose inside the battery.

Well I figured out the problem, the battery is not tied down and when the car jumped the battery was hitting the hood and arcing across. I guess it drained the battery. I jumped it and it started. I took it to get the alternator and battery checked and they both checked out good. I cleaned the terminals off real good and it startrd just fine. Thankfully it was an easy fix and nothing too major. But I still hold strong against people driving my car.

Quick technical question for those that know...

If your battery is as dead as this, will ROLL starting it work? I would think not... now how about if you are on a small hill, lets say one that is flat enough that worse comes to worse you can still stop the car with strong foot power?

[Edit: I'd say the answer is No...I doubt that the alternator spinning at that low an RPM could generate the current / voltage required...]

Haha!! I have this great "MacGyver" story...

I had a '78 Celica I drove across the country (Portland to Chicago). Somewhere in Idaho, I spent the night at a rest area, not knowing that I had my foot on the brakes and it drained the battery.

Luckily, I was on a big downhill slope, so I tried compression starting it, but no luck, there wasn't enough power left in the Battery to energize the coil...sheit!

Then, I thought long and hard...where can I get some "electrons". I remembered that I have some D-cells in my Maglight flashlight. I taped them together in series with some good 'ol duct tape, used some speaker wire to connect them to the battery...

Went to compression start it, and Voila!! Success!! :icon43::icon14:

So I was rudely awoken a moment ago (6:30 am:evil:) with my roomy telling me he can't get my 83 ZX started. He said he had to move it so he could get his dad's BMW out of the garage. I asked him what the car was doing and he said when he turned the key the car would just jump forward. No S**T, it's in gear. Then I went down to move the car because he was too incompitant and to my surprise there is absolutely no power what so ever. Not even a single inside light would come on.

The moral of this is NEVER LET YOUR FRIENDS HAVE THE KEYS TO YOUR CAR!!!!!!! Because when something goes wronge you have no clue to what it could be.

Sorry if I misspelled anything (which I probubly did), I'm still half asleep and just wanting to go back to bed. I'll figure this one out later.

lmfao same her.

You could have, and should have posted this in the non tech forum. Thats all im going to say.

You are, in a way, 100% correct. BUT...my original intent for this thread was to be technical, to figure out the absolute loss of power to everything. I have had a dead battery with my other cars but nothing to this extreme.

If I had know this was going to end up a conversation about not letting your friends drive your car I would have put it in the non-tech forum.