HybridZ

can i eliminate mass airflow w/o changing ecu

DrEaM

okay i'm currently trying to see about getting some intercooler piping fabed up for my car and i'm not sure if there is any way to eliminate the HUGE mass airflow sensor or replace it with something smaller and more efficient without changing my ecu.. right now i have an 81 turbo motor in a 76' car..

and i'm not sure what a maf translator is or how it works but i'm not sure if it would work either

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/HorsepowerFreaks/Electronics/MAF_Translators/PRO_Kit/9986

the reason why i'm so worried about it is because i really want to have a/c sometime in the near future and i just wanted to know what kind of setups you guys are running with mass airflow sensors

yea i'm sorry about misleading people about the whole mass airflow thing........ i meant airflow meter.. i guess i'm just going to have to get an ecu if there is no other way to get around it being in my way.. everything will not be stock except for the internals many of the accessories will be eliminated. i'm waiting for my 240sx throttle body to come in and i'm putting my 280z intake manifold on to eliminate many of the vacuum lines and clean up the engine bay along with a fuel rail and an intercooler, which is why i was asking the question.. i mean is there no substitute for the stock airflow meter that is smaller and easier to place in a better location? all your help is appreciated

Nismopick i know what your talking about.. lol, and thanks for the info. from all of the reading i've been doing on previous posts, i thought that maybe i could have still kept my a/c with the stock afm. i guess i was mistaken. i guess i might have to start looking for z31t ecu's pretty soon.

There is absolutely no reason you can not have the A/C in your application. I have a 75 with an 81ZXT motor in it, and the A/C is still functional. AND it has a stock AFM.

This has been covered (move the AFM to the radiator support, upside down inside the engine bay, or right side up out front hanging from the plastic tube.

You use the stock 81 intake rubber boot, which slides into a Z31 Plastic intake duct which needs one fitting closed, and everything lines up. Another boot through the radiator support, and your AFM hangs there fine.

You have to remove the stock AFM mount, and if you are lazy you 'hammer clearance' the fender well if you are using the Z31 Intake Tube (or not if you make your own tube from mandrel bend exhaust tubing...)

And when I went MS, the only thing I changed on the inlet was taking off the AFM, and replacing it with a 90 Degree elbow from (I think) another piece of Z31 intake ducting.

You simply haven't looked at the plethora of photos here, it's all documented quite well.

I don't know what searches your performed, but if you searched on 'eliminating AFM' you probably didn't get squat.

"Relocating AFM" should turn up just about every conceivable photo you can think of, this is a very simple matter, and has been done many many many times before!

I mean, 7 posts in and you mention the impetus is to keep the A/C? That's not a problem at all. Plenty of cars have done it. Sometimes the best attack is the direct one where you tell the people what you want, instead of your preconceived solution, that way you see different approaches to the problem that you may not have considered.

Yes, the AFM fits up front with the Intercooler, AND the A/C Condensor....And a big Z31 Diamond-Shaped K&N Filter with intake silencer box attached to keep the turbo whine down and nice and stealthy like...