HybridZ

Water on front of block??

tpnorth

Okay so some may have saw my last post with the snaped bolt i got that out of the block and went and installed a new water pump today.Everything went great got it on and went and started the car. Car started cold without problems and was idling normal and nothing was leaking, great right....So as i was letting it idle i gave it a little gas and the car rev slowly to 3000 rpm then like shot up quickly to 6 or 7000rpm wasnt sure if that was normal or not but then i let off and the car idled down normal for oh say about 2 mins.Went to give it gas again and no power :eek2:. I look on the ground and there is liquid everywhere look around with my flashlight and see water pump is clean something was spraying onto the fan which sent water everywhere. Both hoses are in great shape so its not those what else am i missing here?? Also the fuel gauge keeps reading at a quater of a tank when im pretty sure its full and the fuel light is always on:weird:. Thanks in advance i really wanna get my beast up and running haha you know.

tom

Not sure about the fuel pump or the reving. Did you mess w/ any electronics / wiring?

It is quite possible you got a bad WP from the parts store. I know I've had them.

If I recall there is a little hole on the bottom of the pump and if it's worn it will leak through that hole.

It is also possible you didn't clean all the old gasket material off the front cover before you put the new gasket on and it is leaking through the seal.

Or you could have a completely new issue if the old pump was leaking. If that was the pressure relief before and you seal that up, it is quite possible you have a new failure somewhere else because the pressure has come up and now leaking elsewhere.

alright well after messing around with the car a little more ive figured it really doesnt start to spray till the car get warmed up.But i didnt find some small drops comming pretty rapidly on the ac compressor.It looks like its comming from something under the intake but i have no idea where i feel around and every thing is rustyish and coverd in just dirt and engine grease and stuff. Im really lost now.

not sure if this is germain BUT when I changed the head gasket on a 280zxt I did the newbie dumb thing and dropped the timing chain. Pulled the cover off to get at it and several of the bolts were the long thin guys. So I clean everything up wirebrush the bolts. The one that is longest and close to the hydraulic steering pump was covered in goo. After everythng was buttoned up and running got water running out of that bolt. Did a brain drain on my mentor and he said he didn't think there was a way for the water to get in the oil the way the block was made. I pulled the leaker coated it liberally with rtv and put it back in. Stopped the leak and she ran fine after that.

alright well after messing around with the car a little more ive figured it really doesnt start to spray till the car get warmed up.But i didnt find some small drops comming pretty rapidly on the ac compressor.It looks like its comming from something under the intake but i have no idea where i feel around and every thing is rustyish and coverd in just dirt and engine grease and stuff. Im really lost now.

Could be or it could also be the hose going to the Throttle body to warm it up. Move some hoses around and see if anything sprays.

i took care of it today the hose that goes from the thermostat to the intake has a small cut in the bottom and when it got under more pressure when the engine heats up it would spray and get pulled towards the fan. Im very happy not that its up and running i do have one question i am getting a small pining sound coming from what seems to be the fuel rail possible the valve cover is that normal or do i have like a bent valve maybe its very light and i think it is comming from the fuel rail.

You can use a (long) screwdriver held to your ear or one of these (watch the sales, I got mine for $1.49) but hold the probe end to whatever you want to listen for noise in - fuel injector body, valve cover, side of the head, bottom of the block, etc.. The stethoscope is nice because it's longer and on flexible hose, and it pipes the sound to both ears.

As JSM said though, it's probably your injectors. One complaint that everyone seems to come up with at some point is that their L28 has loud injectors.

yeah i think i am hearing the injector thats where it sounds like its comming from.

Recent purchase on the car?

What do you mean like did i just get the car if so yes i got it two weeks ago 400 bucks and i was told it didnt run but it seems okay now that i got alot of the little things will be heading to the body shop now to get the rust dealt with.

DSC00024.jpg

I forgot about the thermostat hose, or I would have suggested it. I had installed the equivalent hose on my 240 with a hose clamp that was slightly too large for the hose and didn't clamp fully. Only squirted out antifreeze when it was north of 6k rpm. Took a little while to figure that one out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...