HybridZ

Crankshaft key

jacob80

Hey guys, just wondering if you guys know where we can get a key for the crankshaft. I'm talking about the little piece that holds the crank pulley in place. I cannot seem to find it anywhere, so just let me know if you guys know where I can find one, thanks!

It indexes the pulley, not much more. If your snout is loose on the pulley, or the bolt insufficiently torqued/clamped that key won't do anything but tear up your crank snout.

I'm being pedantic today...

It can also do this to a balencer:

1026647yx3.jpg

Heehee....

Sorry can't resist. When I screw up I always try to get some laughs out of it, other wise it's a total loss.

Ya know, looking closer now, looks like the key way was lined up.

So is that the key sticking out? How did that happen. (not the inpact story, but the why?)

Not for sure, I've read a lot of other people having problems with the inside diameter of the pulley being to small and the key not sizing up to the pulley right. Not for sure, just ended up being a big waste of time, so we will probably just put on the stock one.

I used to have some spare keys laying around from my L24E, but I think I threw them away, sorry.

Powerforce damper? I thought I recognized those yellow numbers. From what I remember it was the first batch or two that had the sizing problem. The one I ordered six months ago went on with some soft tapping of a sand filled plastic hammer and lined up first try with the crank key. I was happily surprised. I also made sure to use the gigantic new Nissan bolt MSA recommends with the install.

I used to have some spare keys laying around from my L24E, but I think I threw them away, sorry.

Powerforce damper? I thought I recognized those yellow numbers. From what I remember it was the first batch or two that had the sizing problem. The one I ordered six months ago went on with some soft tapping of a sand filled plastic hammer and lined up first try with the crank key. I was happily surprised. I also made sure to use the gigantic new Nissan bolt MSA recommends with the install.

Well apparantly they are internationally out of stock or some bs, so we're having to use the stock bolt. Did you use the stock key and snout when putting on your powerforce? We are, and we must have got the bad batch of pulleys.

Shoot, I kept the bag with part number on it from that bolt, but it must be in the storage unit. If I'm out that way soon I'll post it.

I am just using the stock key and snout. I had accidentally mushroomed the end of the key a bit when installing the stock damper, and subsequently filed the end down a little bit.

JeffP gave a part number for the bolt from (I think) a KA24. It is slightly longer so you have more threads gripping for more torque application ability.

In addition he posted something about the 1/2" thick Volvo Washer he uses to keep it from 'belling' under the torque you can put on it.

Really, the thing should fit snugly if not tightly...and the clamping force of the bolt to the snout of the crank should clamp the balancer between the wahser and the shoulder of the crank where it abuts (squeezing the slinger, drive gear, etc VERY tightly).

Can't do that with a thin washer.

The numbers may be on JeffP's anglefire website as well, 'Extreme280ZXT'.

• 1 year later...

JeffP gave a part number for the bolt from (I think) a KA24.

I called Courtesy Nissan to get that long bolt. They said that the number from Jeff's website (12309-29500) is not a good number. Can anybody confirm that the bolt is off a KA24 engine? jeffp?

And people wonder why I idly jot VIN's down at car shows and in junkyards...

Just this instance! I'm detached from my list of VINS now, but find yourself a 91 240SX and call in that VIN to the monkey running the terminal at your local Nissan dealership. From there they may be able to grab you a proper bolt and washer. Seems they are unable to do anything now without a VIN.

I go in with stuff off the FAST CD I bought off e-bay. I mean, if I can find it with a couple minutes of guessing....why can't they---a trained service individual be able to do the same?

Holy necropost batman! (BTW) You might want to PM JeffP and see what his guy has to say, he got those numbers from Nissan in Garden Grove through his connection there. Pretty bad when you have your own personal customer number and discount rate set up that gets you better pricing than most local independents due to the volume of stuff you buy...

Good Luck, gotta hope a train, Plane, and then a Z! (After about 14 hours in the middle conveyance!)

Holy necropost batman!

Oops, I meant to post to this more recent post on a similar subject.

I wanted to make sure it came off a KA24 before I asked him to search any further. I'm guessing they still have exploded views of the engine with p/n's called out on the drawing.