HybridZ

.40 S&W pistol suggestions

JMortensen

I've always been a revolver fan, particularly single action revolvers, but I'm going to pick up a semi-auto pistol here pretty soon. I really haven't been into the gun scene for about 10 years or so, and even then I was more about shooting clay pigeons with my buddies than competitive shooting or anything really hardcore.

That said I would like a quality weapon as I've had some bad experiences with cheap .45's in the past. One in particular would eject hot cases at my forehead and jammed it seemed like every 5 shots or so.

So far I've been looking at the Sig P226 and Glock 22. Anyone have any other suggestions? I am going to hit an indoor range this weekend and rent some guns, just looking to see if there is something else I should be trying out.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always been a big fan of the Beretta 92, it is only a 9mm but I love the way it fits in my hand. Very comfortable and fun to shoot.

I never really liked the Glock but I think that is just personal preference, the square shape of the handle would start to hurt after a while. It just doesn't fit my hand as well as the Beretta does. I have a bunch of friends who just love the Glock and find it to be a comfortable gun, I think it just comes down to personal preference.

I only shot one Sig and I dont remember what gun it was but again I didnt like the fit as much as the Beretta.

Another one you could look at is a springfield 1911, those can be had for incredibly cheap and they are very well built guns. The handle is a little narrow for my hands but I have seen some grips that would modify it perfectly and make it very comfortable.

I think it all comes down to personal preference, enjoy the process of trying out a bunch of different guns. Get experience with the variations in grip sizing and modifications that can be made to the gun. The process of playing with what is out there is half the fun. Then once you actually buy one you will be confident that it is exactly what you want.

Why 40 SW? If I were in the market for a .40 cal, I would use a 10mm, as it is a much more powerfull cartrige. I dont know what your planning on doing with the gun, self defense? Any of those lower end Semi's, glocks, etc, are not accurated at any distance. All depends what you want to do.

I'll be turning 21 at the end of the month, and am thinking about getting into the scene as well. I got a chance to receive some professional training in handguns a couple years ago at a local range, from a former military trainer. One gun we shot was an open competition Beretta. Was pretty impressed with it. Although it was worked to high heaven and had the trigger weight of a feather. I'd be interested in models to check out as well.

I've always been a revolver fan, particularly single action revolvers, but I'm going to pick up a semi-auto pistol here pretty soon. I really haven't been into the gun scene for about 10 years or so, and even then I was more about shooting clay pigeons with my buddies than competitive shooting or anything really hardcore.

That said I would like a quality weapon as I've had some bad experiences with cheap .45's in the past. One in particular would eject hot cases at my forehead and jammed it seemed like every 5 shots or so.

So far I've been looking at the Sig P226 and Glock 22. Anyone have any other suggestions? I am going to hit an indoor range this weekend and rent some guns, just looking to see if there is something else I should be trying out.

Hey-

Try them out and you will see what you like. I have a S&W 44 magnum revolver and seriously looked at the glock 40 and the 9mm. The 9mm is very compact and holds more rounds, the 40 has alot more punch, as you probably know.

Nice thing about the glock is that there is no safety on it. Plus NATO and alot of armed forces use them. Light weight with the plastic grip and body as well.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=29

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-steel-description.html

I used to carry one in 45acp, it functioned flawlessly

these pistols are exceptionally accurate and point naturally, keep in mind your not making an easily dismissed choice, your LIFE could EASILY depend on the gun remaining accurate and dependable, and hitting hard enought to instantly stop a potential opponent!

Why .40 S&W? Because it seems like a nice sized round for a semi-auto handgun. I don't have a problem with the 10mm, but it seems like the .40 will get the job done and doesn't beat up the gun as much. Again it's been a long time since I was really into the scene and the situation may have changed, but I recall the 10mm Glocks having wear issues that the .40's were not supposed to suffer from. Also with the Sig I know it is possible to get a different barrel and have a convertible pistol that does 40 S&W and .357 SIG. The case length is the same so they use the same magazine. So that would be a way to get a little hotter round if I so desired, although I hear that the .357 is insanely loud due to the really high case pressures. Not sure if the other .40 S&W guns have that option...

Besides, if I want a really powerful handgun it will be a Casull or a Ruger Bisley, maybe a Super Blackhawk. The rounded grip makes recoil of bigger rounds much more tolerable in my experience.

This gun is not really for self defense, just mainly to have fun with. I have a shotgun for home defense and I don't carry, so it's really just a toy.

This gun is not really for self defense, just mainly to have fun with. I have a shotgun for home defense and I don't carry, so it's really just a toy.

I wasn't going to post, but...a shotgun for home defense? Is Seattle that rough? Wow, my home defense consists of a key and an alarm system...LOL

Glock: German--Cheap, eats any ammo, will go BANG EVERY TIME....PERIOD. People either LOVE the grip or HATE it. Decent fit and finish.

SIG: German--More $$, bit more accurate, de-cocker, nice ergo grip. Nice fit and finish.

It comes down to $$ and accuracy. If $$$ is not a big issue and you want "better" groups go with the SIG.

If you want a cheap gun that will "GO BANG EVERY TIME" and will put good groupings, go with the glock.

Go the the gun store and handle both. Buy the one that feels better in your hands.

Have fun.

I wasn't going to post, but...a shotgun for home defense? Is Seattle that rough? Wow, my home defense consists of a key and an alarm system...LOL

Shotguns are an excellent home defense weapon because the shot won't penetrate walls and go into another room, not to mention aiming is less critical.

I've become a fan of the ParaOrdnance LDA's. Wonderful trigger, dependable, and available in a lot of different configurations to suit your needs.

John

Im partial to 1911's as well. I would have suggested that but getting 1911's in "off calibers" gets expensive and .45 is getting expensive.

Shotguns are an excellent home defense weapon because the shot won't penetrate walls and go into another room, not to mention aiming is less critical.

Well, what I was really asking is, Where the heck do you live that you NEED a shotgun for home defense? The idea of NEEDING a gun for home defense is just...foreign...I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Does your neighborhood have a lot of break ins, home invasions, etc.?

Well, what I was really asking is, Where the heck do you live that you NEED a shotgun for home defense? The idea of NEEDING a gun for home defense is just...foreign...I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Does your neighborhood have a lot of break ins, home invasions, etc.?

Let's just move on with the conversation about what guns I should test. This is a very political subject and I'd like to not ruin the thread discussing why I have what I have or want what I want.