Makes a top of the line Beretta feel like a cheap,

unbalanced, piece of garbage.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As to the 1911 thing, I will go test fire one. I've heard it suggested too many times not to at this point. I know that a 1911 is potentially more accurate, but it also seems like you need to spend $1500 on one to get those results. Is that incorrect?

Although prices on all guns appear to have gone up a staggering amount (I say appear because I believe it's actually all due to inflation) I guarantee you could get a very accurate 1911 for far less than 1500$.

At the last gunshow I went to, the SA 1911's I saw going for about $600-650 7 years ago were all around $800-850.

I think you can still find deals like this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=115084685

- if you are willing to buy something "like new" instead of brand new.

As far as accuracy - I can shoot 12g casings off a fence at 20yds with my 1911, and I believe I could do the same with any 1911 that was made by a good company, no matter how basic a model it is. You just have to avoid the companies that are putting out junk, like Charles Daily and the cheap foreign made copies like the Llama you mentioned.

I think USA-made Springfield Armory stuff is the best quality for the money.

However, one thing I would stay away from is their GI spec 1911's. They shoot fine, but they don't have the nice beavertail grip safety, the extended slide safety, or features like a skeleton hammer, adjustable trigger, beveled mag well, etc, all of which were fairly standard until this rash of GI specs came out a few years ago. I don't really understand what the craze was all about - all those features were added onto the original model for a very good reason.

Before I blab on any more about 1911's....does this mean you're willing to look at .45acp? I personally prefer it, but if you're sticking to .40, you have a much smaller selection as far as 1911 "style" guns are concerned.

The issue with .45 ACP so far as I can tell is it is loaded weak, and the +P loads are a lot more expensive. I don't want to get into reloading, I did a bunch of handgun and rifle reloading when I was a kid, and it was a bit of a hassle, and I'm not nearly as into shooting as I was back then. Much easier for me to buy in bulk than to reload at this point.

The issue with 1911s is that there are so damn many of them and they all look the same to me. I have no idea what is good or crap. I feel like if I didn't know what a Llama was and it had a price tag of $900 there would be no way for me to know that it was complete shiza.

The .45 would really have to impress, but I'm not going to rule it out.

I really wish you lived closer, I have several .45's that I believe would sell you. :)

If I wasn't reloading, I couldn't afford to shoot...even though lead prices have more than doubled, it still costs me less than 30% of the price of factory ammo to load. But I understand where you're coming from.

There are a ton of choices, but if you stick to the big names (SA, Kimber, Wilson, Ed Brown, and of course Colt) you are safe. Out of those, I can make it easy for you and say just stick to USA made SA - I have owned several, and they've been fantastic for the money. The rest of the those guys all charge more for the same level of workmanship.

As far as ballistics...most of the ballistics I have in my loading charts for .40 list the same range of muzzle energy as .45acp. Is there a certain # you are looking for? I carry RBCD (90gr 1800-2000fps depending on the weather) - that's about double the standard .40 load....

As far as ballistics...most of the ballistics I have in my loading charts for .40 list the same range of muzzle energy as .45acp. Is there a certain # you are looking for? I carry RBCD (90gr 1800-2000fps depending on the weather) - that's about double the standard .40 load....

There really isn't a particular number I'm looking for. I just don't like 9mm after reading a story years back about a lady who was shot 5 times with a 9mm, at which point she decided she had better play dead or she was going to get shot again. I didn't like the "old timer" loads for the .45 ACP that were available 10 or 15 years ago. Its similar to .45 colt. You can get a gun that will handle a load superior to a .44 mag, but the bullets you buy at the store are weak enough for a 130 year old SAA to handle.

I'm sure a .45 +P load would appeal to me. The .40 just seems like the right size and load for a defensive weapon in general, that's the only reason I picked that caliber, even though I'm not really relying on it for defense.

90 gr at 2000 fps, that's pretty crazy!!!

As to the 1911 thing, I will go test fire one. I've heard it suggested too many times not to at this point. I know that a 1911 is potentially more accurate, but it also seems like you need to spend $1500 on one to get those results. Is that incorrect?

A Ferrari F40 would be a better car to race than my built up Z, but I'm still building the Z if you get my drift. I appreciate ALL the comments though. Keep them coming, I feel like I'm getting closer...

JM i don't have over $1000 in my series 80 enhanced SS 1911 switchbarrel gun that I bought new which included feed ramp mods, match bushing fitted, match link, all the plastic trigger parts replaced with metal, target hammer, trigger job, SS .400 corbon barrel, matching recoil spring, match bushing, etc., all fitted and ready to go. I guess if your buying new from a store that is one thing paying retail, but you might just look around and find a good used one and a good gunsmith. Look up Frank Combs at the shooting iron on the net. I hear he builds awesome .45's for a great price. You could ship it to him and he can send it back. Ever see a 1911 feed empty cases from the Clip!????!!! :shock:

As for accuracy, it'll out shoot anyone here in IPSC.

Having owned various 1911's. I can say: DO NOT buy a Para-Ordnance. They eject poorly. Also, speaking of plastic guns, I have had the frame break on them. DO NOT buy a Colt unless you intend to do some significant work to it. They are great guns and I love mine after considerable tuning. Think of a Colt as a barn find Z. You are going to have to do a lot ot make it reliable. The Kimbers are nice especially because they have an external extractor. They are pricey though. I think you are on the right track though. If you want a $1000 gun, go buy a Kimber 1911. If you want a cheaper gun to shoot, buy one of the hordes of cheaper guns, the Springfield XD, the Taurus 24/7, or one of the others made to go out of the box.

The issue with .45 ACP so far as I can tell is it is loaded weak, and the +P loads are a lot more expensive. I don't want to get into reloading, I did a bunch of handgun and rifle reloading when I was a kid, and it was a bit of a hassle, and I'm not nearly as into shooting as I was back then. Much easier for me to buy in bulk than to reload at this point.

The issue with 1911s is that there are so damn many of them and they all look the same to me. I have no idea what is good or crap. I feel like if I didn't know what a Llama was and it had a price tag of $900 there would be no way for me to know that it was complete shiza.

The .45 would really have to impress, but I'm not going to rule it out.

Look at a Dan Wesson CBOB. Well made in the US.

http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=66

It may be more than you want to spend, but it is good value for the dollar.

Alan

$1100 is too much right now. One other thing; this is not the last firearm I am ever going to buy, nor is it the only gun I own. So if I get a Sig or an XD it's not as though I'll be mired in mediocrity for the rest of my days...

Yep. They do discount these prety good. Mine was around $950.00 out the door. If you get a chance just hold one in your hand....

You will find something.

A.

Pick up an xd, then take your finger with the slide closed and try and wiggle the barrel. It will move say, .050" side to side, and up and down. They do this so the gun will NEVER jam, great for a self defence gun, CRAPPY for a target gun. Like others have said, a nice IRON frame 1911, kimber, colt, etc. will always out perform as far as targets go. I personally dont like a whole lot of semis for this reason. A good revolver will always be more accurate.

I just don't like 9mm after reading a story years back about a lady who was shot 5 times with a 9mm, at which point she decided she had better play dead or she was going to get shot again.

Poor shot placement. The outcome would probably have been the same regardless of caliber. I was on a jury where the defendent was shot 7 times in a hallway with .40 HydraShok hollow points, at 10 feet, by two cops, who discharged 19 rounds total. The defendent looked a little worn down at trial, but he was alive and talking.

Sticking to the idea of budget minded fun to shoot .40 s&w....

I spent a while back shooting 14 different models, high dollar to low. For what I had in mind the Beretta 9000s was a great fit. Light weight polymer frame. There were some build issues with the safty being difficult to operate, a moot point to some with single/doubles, but this ended up driving the prices way down. I found one with no issues, easy to tell the first time you try the safety, as mine operates the safty with one thumb flick. Larger mags available. I like the 9000's thicker grip with the available extendable magazine . Its fed flawlessley for years using anything from Wal-Mart Winchester "white box" budget ammo to Cor Bon. Of course way better guns around, but for around $300 you can have new good compact .40 and save your $$ for the next F40.

http://products.berettausa.com/frame_tabellaprodotti_2002.asp?sgmt=30&Model=9000S&descr=1

If you're looking for a budget shooter I'd suggest something in 9MM. It's easy to shoot, pretty accurate, and cheap. In fact, I found that if you reload your own, and have to buy brass, that it's more expensive.

Who knows the future of firearms related products with the election coming up though. Prices could skyrocket more than they have.

I have a 9MM AR15 for this purpose, cheaper than .223, really accurate follow up shots, and easier to suppress.

2908001ys2.jpg

Sorry to digress, but maybe we should start a Firearms thread.

Poor shot placement. The outcome would probably have been the same regardless of caliber. I was on a jury where the defendent was shot 7 times in a hallway with .40 HydraShok hollow points, at 10 feet, by two cops, who discharged 19 rounds total. The defendent looked a little worn down at trial, but he was alive and talking.

Fittygot shot NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMES.

Guest VelvetHammer

I've got a Glock 23 (.40 S&W, sub compact), small enough for conceal/ carry, and large enough to feel solid in the hands. Great weight, easy to draw quickly (.53 sec draw hitting a target at 30 feet:icon14:)

I find it's great for instinct shooting as well as getting a fast sight picture.

It's as accurate as a full sized pistol to 50 yards.

I buy 1000 round cans of Miwall factory reloads (180gr TMJ, Velocity 925 fps, Energy 342 ft lbs), Last time out I bought 4 cans (worked out to be about 15 cents a round!) The price of brass has gone crazy so it's a bit more expensive now, but still the most economical way to go. I highly recommend reloads if you're just target shooting or doing light competition. Out of the 9,500 rounds I've put through my gun I've never had a jam, which is shocking considering how terribly I treat it (note to self: clean gun tomorrow).

That said, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you'll buy, it's just a gun, not an extension of your soul :D

If you guys ever get to LA, check out the outdoor all-steel pistol range at Oaktree: http://www.oaktreegunclub.com.

**By the way I've got a barely used Mossberg 500A 12 gauge with a 26" trap barrel for sale if anyone is interested!

IMG_0617_thumb.JPG

I'm very happy with my Sig 239, DA/SA. Its a bit smaller frame, and a single stack mag. Very nice for concealed carry. I bought it in .40SW and have shot thousands of rounds through it at the range with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I also have the .357SIG barrel and magazine. I've only fired a few hundred rounds of the .357 through it, and let me tell you, its a very impressive round. Accuracy is spot on with either, although I'm a little more consistent with the .40, probably because I'm more used to it. The .357SIG is a handful, hits fast and hard, but quite expensive. I cant say enough good things about the Sig. I'm a customer for life.

I would suggest renting the Glock, Sig, and XD. See which one feels the best to you. The more comfortable you are with it the better you will shoot. I have an XD45 and absolutly love it. I don't care for glocks in general but the shells eject straight up and bounce off my head half the time. The SIG is overpriced and heavy. It all depends on you, everyone has there personal preferences but you actually shooting them will make the right decision for you.