.40 S&W pistol suggestions

JMortensen

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up my pistol today. Looks basically new. There is even a sticker from Sig on the side that says "Used Excellent Condition." There is some light scuffing on the barrel where the slide can contact it, and a bit of the bluing on the barrel is worn off from use, but the chamber and the inside of the barrel look brand spankin new. It's in the condition I expected after hearing all the glowing reports of "like new" guns. I didn't realize that the gun came with a case, 2 clips and a lock. I had already bought a couple clips, so now I have 4 .40 clips and 2 9mm clips. My 9m conversion barrel dropped right in (apparently some of them need fitting) so that was a nice surprise as well. The trigger seems a bit lighter than the one I fired at the range. Not sure if that's just my imagination, and this one doesn't have the 3 dot night sights, which I wasn't so hot on at first but now I think I might prefer. Anyway if this thing shoots as good as it looks I'll be ecstatic.

I'm going to go get some bulk 9mm and .40 ammo. Need to get wifey out on the range too, she already seems hesitant around this gun. She is really a hell of a shot (especially good with a shotgun) but when she hasn't shot for a while her confidence goes down and she starts getting a bit afraid. She does the same thing with the Z too... :?

Congrats! Sounds as if you've got a nice shooter there.

...and now, it's pet peeve time! :icon51:

You're just going to have to get over that one... :lol: It used to bug me when people say that the .40 S&W has a maximum of 33,000 psi too. It's wasn't doing me any good trying to explain the difference between psi and cup though.

Honestly go with an XD... more accuratly go with an XDM 40. The guns are amazing.They come stock with a match grade barrel, can be put through total toruture and still function flawlessly. I currently have an XD 45acp in the tactical length and it is one of the most dead on accurate hand guns I have ever fired right from the factory. For my ccw I carry an XD 40 sub compact. It handles nine in the magazine and one in the chamber... more than enough to protect yourself, but if you want more it has an extended magazine that holds 12 rounds. Now the XDM 40 holds way more and is way more accurate than my sub compact due to the longer match grade barrel. The guns are amazing, just not very well known yet so not nearly as trusted as a berreta or glock. However they perform better from my experience than either of the other two previously mentioned options.

Guest fatandthefurious

If you have lots of money to spend i would go with the Kimber Warrior or the STI eagle they are the best guns i have ever worked with. I am a gunsmith apprentice and an avid collector. The top choice would be The Desert Eagle in the .50 caliber however if 3 grand is out of the question the Kimber is a cost effective weapon with the right amount of reliablity and side ejection. The STI is about the same in price but the 2011 has the feel of a colt 1911 with minor modifications such as a light rail, dove tail sights and it has a double stack clip for higher amounts of ammo. But as stated by Calgary280ZT before if you want a great home protections gun the gun of choice is a shotgun the best being the mossberg model 500 with a pistol-grip and tactical sling,ghostsights, and shell holder can not be beat with a 6 round magizine and a crisp trigger action the gun is an outstanding peice of equipment. the sound when you rack it is sanonomise with the sound of fear. The intimidation factor is defently involved with the roar of a 12 gauge rack.

I am a gunsmith apprentice and an avid collector.

Just the man I want to talk to!

I tried the Sig out yesterday, and I had no problems at all with the .40 barrel's accuracy and no issues with feeding, etc. When I swapped in the conversion barrel I'd guess that about 40% of my shells stovepiped. It was very annoying. Also, the slide never locked back at the end of a magazine. It was like there just wasn't enough recoil to operate the slide. I'm wondering now if this is a fitment issue with the Bar-Sto barrel. From what I've read the recoil springs for the .40, .357 Sig, and 9mm are all the same, so that shouldn't be the cause. I just can't figure anything else out.

For what it's worth, I did find the Bar-Sto barrel to be at least as accurate as the Sig barrel with the ammo I was using.

I had an AMT 380 that would stovepipe with hollowpoints, and a rework of the feed ramp solved the issue.

Sounds like yours is a different issue given the other symptoms, like you said, spring possibly.

I liked that little AMT, come to find out the nice 'wallet holster' that came with it is totally illegal in CA... But man it made carrying it around so easy! LOL

And yeah, it was a .380. Hollowpoints were a necessity. I don't work those hours any more, so it's filed away in 'the vault'...separate from it's nice wallet holster which, of course, is out of state now, as merely posessing it is a no no here...

I'm wanting to get a Browning Hi-Power in .40 S&W.

051001m.jpg

Shoot it first. I thought it was looking pretty promising until I shot one. Compared to the others that I shot, I just didn't like the way it felt. I think the one I shot was brand new, never fired which may have had something to do with it, but it wasn't very accurate, at least with me behind the trigger.

Shoot it first. I thought it was looking pretty promising until I shot one. Compared to the others that I shot, I just didn't like the way it felt. I think the one I shot was brand new, never fired which may have had something to do with it, but it wasn't very accurate, at least with me behind the trigger.

I have. Shot a used one at the range and loved it. Shot real nice and It just felt good in my hand. Very solid feeling and definately not a poly gun. It's got heft.