HybridZ

365hp 327 on 93 pump gas ok?

So I know these Vettes were made back in the day with different types of fuel, so is it safe to run a 365hp 327 on today's 93 pump gas? The motor as far as I know has an original cam and all that, but will have a Performer RPM Air Gap intake and Holley 750cfm Street Avenger more than likely as the current owner of the engine has it in an old C10 with the stock truck 2 barrel intake and carb on it.

I don't know if the guy's had it running in the truck or whatever. It's setting back in the woods.

Haven't got the #s yet. It was set back in the woods and a lot of thorny plants around it. I'm going to wait until he pulls the truck out some and we can get a look at it in the clearing.

You story reminds me of when I tried to save money by buying an "old 327" and ending up spending more money. The chances that engine is any good is slim.

A 350 will always make more power than a 327 when build the same way. If you rather make less power then you are getting the right engine.

Well then it sounds perfect for you. Hope you have better luck than I typically have with "used engines". Seems I always get the guys who swear they run great then only to find out the cylinders are worn and the heads are cracked. End up getting a block and some tin at an expensive price.

Well I might pass on this one. He said he put a fuel pump on it it today and replaced the plug wires that were taken off. He ran the fuel line into a gas can and couldn't get it to fire. He said it cranked over just fine but wouldn't actually fire. We're going to pull it anyways and check a few things on it. I'm going to pull the oil pan to inspect the bottom end of the motor, and if it looks good under there, I might buy it whether we can get it to fire or not. If it looks good in the actual internals, then it should just be something simple, like maybe it has bad plugs, or a bad cap on the distributor, or some of the wires are just shot.

Sorry, I focused on the issue of you possibly being swindled and failed to address the question about whether it will run on 93 pump gas. I don't think it will run well at all on 93 octane. Lack of hardened valve seats aside, the engine (if actually an L76) is running at an 11:1 compression ratio.