HybridZ

76 280z restomod winter project

So after buying the Z in February I've finally decided to get started on my l28et swap. My current goals at the moment are to simply get the swap running mostly stock and converting to Megasquirt after. Today I began taking the front end apart and removed the cowl and the fenders just to see what rust was hiding under them.

Car before

1103081618ft7.jpg

After (camera phone + me moving = fail, I know)

1104081626sy3.jpg

Driver side

1104081433ac2.jpg

Passenger side

1104081432pe2.jpg

As you can see there's tons of surface rust along with rot in the bottom corner beside the doors.

Also discovered the previous owner decided to hide these beauties in the wheel wells by screwing on some sheet metal and covering it with undercoating

Driver side

1104081434fx9.jpg

Passenger side

1104081431ea7.jpg

Thankfully thats just about the worst of it. The rails under the floors are mostly solid but I still plan on welding on some baddog units. Also managed to get most of the harness disconnected and removed the radiator as well. Going to try and get the engine and tranny out by tomorrow and begin stripping the engine bay so I can spray it with rustoleum. Surprisingly there's zero rust in the bay including the battery tray and I'd like to keep it that way.

1104082121ii7.jpg

The l28et is probably the only real progress I've manged to make so far. Spent most of the summer tearing it down and even though it seemed it was rebuilt at some point because of the .5mm oversized pistons and crosshatch on the cylinder walls, I decided to throw in new rod and main bearings, rings, gaskets, timing components, and a kameari 1mm metal headgasket to bump up the compression. All that's left is to make some block off plates for the egr and aac valve and finding a large enough bolt to fit in the hole left behind the emergency release valve.

Some goodies that came in the mail recently

1104082128qq4.jpg

Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Centerforce 240mm dual friction clutch, and a Treadstone TRV25S intercooler. Also planning on picking up a Hobart Handler 140 to replace my Harbor Freight special 90 amp flux core welder so I can actually do some decent welding.

Didn't really get much done since I have exams coming up but the engine and tranny are out.

n503995870_2159332_8605.jpg

n503995870_2159333_8884.jpg

n503995870_2159334_9163.jpg

Battery tray area is a bit rusty but thankfully its all surface rust and should come off with a little bit of sanding. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to remove all the wiring, brake and fuel lines, and begin applying the stripper.