HybridZ

04 GTO LS1 Fuel plumbing

I have an LS1 sourced from an 04 GTO going into a 78 280Z. The fuel rail has an inlet hose (ofcourse) but does not seem to have a return outlet. I have searched the forums but cannot seem to find something to address my particular issue. I have found discussion on the subject of fuel routing/plumbing but all seem to have a return, I am missing something? The Camaro/Firebird LS1's have a return but does the GTO LS1 not have one?

Thanks for your time.

get a corvette fuel filter, it has a fuel pressure regulater with a return nipple made into it. you run the feed into it and the return line back to your tank, then continue your filtered fuel up to your fuel rail.

you can get the gm quick connects from summit so you can run steel braided hose which i'd recommend since it's 60psi of fuel pressure. i believe aeroquip and russells both make the fittings

gl

Dave @ Lethal Injection Motorsports

im running gto motor used aeromotive fuel reg at tank with return line straight back into tank and single line to fuel line on injector rail works fine used plumbing type olive fitting on fuel rail and braided fuel line with hose clamp works fine too

mick

Kevin,

How far along are you with the fuel system on the swap? From your post it sounds as if the returnless GTO fuel rail has thrown you a curveball in the middle of the swap and your looking for suggestions to get around it. Is that the case? As you can see from the responses you have recieved so far, there are many ways to plumb the system. What have you purchased so far? I'm sure you'd like to try to use what you have already have on hand in a system that functions correctly, no?

Boy from OZ,

I believe and may be some one else can get my back here... That the other fuel line that goes to the engine bay is not a fuel return line but, I'm guessing for a cold start injector in the TB.

Good info on this thread .

The only other fuel related line that goes to the engine bay is the EVAP line from the charcoal canister...its solely for emissions. There's no cold start injector on these motors.

I built this awhile back for my fuel system:

Have ordered all parts for the LS1 filter/regulator. I figure this is about half the price of a complete unit from S&P.

RockAuto ACDelco, GF822 $43.89

Midway Auto, Dorman Fuel Lines 12"x3/8" DOR-800-155 $12.99

Denver Pipe & Fitting (Swagelok Distributor) (most large city's)

SS-600-6-6AN (3/8" to AN, compression fitting) $12.60 x 2

SS-500-6-5AN (5/16" to AN, compression fitting) $10.00 x1 (This fitting will take a little time to get since it comes from Ohio.)

Total = $92.08

Others who are staying with the one feed supply line to the LS1 engine can use this information to build their own fuel regulator assembly unit on the cheap - why not.

Danno74Z

Boy from OZ,

I believe and may be some one else can get my back here... That the other fuel line that goes to the engine bay is not a fuel return line but, I'm guessing for a cold start injector in the TB.

Good info on this thread .

I think you are onto something there. On closer inspection there does not appear to be any way the fuel can get from the rails except via the injectors. Sorry for the content of my earlier post - I saw the two lines connected to the engine and clearly marked 'in' and 'out' lines at the fuel tank and jumped to a conclusion.

I will post a question on this site http://www.ls1.com.au/ and let you know what responses I get.

Update:

Here is the question I posed;

Hope someone can help me out here. I am fitting all the running gear from a VZ Ute to a sports car (240Z) and I initially thought the two fuel lines connected to the engine were 'fuel in' and 'fuel out', but now that doesn't seem right.

What is the purpose of the line connected behind the throttle body and were does it connect to?

Where does the 'fuel return' line fitted to the in-tank fuel pump come from?

How does the emission canister come into all this?

Thanks

I took a bunch of photos when I was stripping the ZV but it just doesn't seem to make sense now.

Here is a response I got;

The line behind the TB heads to the Charcoal canister.

The system is a returnless or dead head system. The pump heads to the filter and then to the rails but there is a T on the way that heads back to the return line on the swirl pot (which has the regulator inside the swirl pot attached to it)

So basically the pressure in the line from the pump to the rails builds up and the return line (coming from the T piece) bleeds off the pressure back to the inside of the swirl pot when it exceeds 58psi. Keeping the lines at a regulated pressure.

Think of the reg as not a regulator of what goes through it but more of a bleed valve set at a set pressure, maintaining the pressure on the other side of it

Hope that makes sense.

I hope this is of assistance to you because it has been a great help to me. I would have run into this problem when I reached that stage of my project.