HybridZ

90-96 300zx diff?

denny411

Are they all lsd`s? or are thre certain ones to look for?

It seems that if a kit could be made,it would make it much easier for all of us to have lsd in our Z`s. I would be willing to do the fab work if they can be had at a more reasonable price than the 87-89 diff`s which are getting harder to find.

From what I`ve seen the r200 is plenty strong for what most of our intetions are.

If it is possible to install a later model 200 for less money than the r230,I feel that would be a good bet for many of us who are "trying" to stick to a budget.

Are they all lsd`s? or are thre certain ones to look for?

It seems that if a kit could be made,it would make it much easier for all of us to have lsd in our Z`s. I would be willing to do the fab work if they can be had at a more reasonable price than the 87-89 diff`s which are getting harder to find.

From what I`ve seen the r200 is plenty strong for what most of our intetions are.

If it is possible to install a later model 200 for less money than the r230,I feel that would be a good bet for many of us who are "trying" to stick to a budget.

Yeah, I think they are all LSDs - cheaper too. On top of that it's a viscous LSD and not a clutch type which means no wear parts. The ratios might be more friendly too - I'm not sure.

This has been talked about a few times. The hard part is apparently the CV axles for it. I and others would be VERY interested in this. If you use th esearch you'll fnd that a few people have talked about doing something liek this, just like CF parts, but it's not yet ever come to fruition. The 300ZX rear should be stronger than the older ZX stuff as should the axles. Mounting the diff and assembling the axles are the major hurdles...

Guest super280z

im going with a 87 or an 88 300z diff from a turbo car. im going to do the conversion with custom half shafts. hey, if the driveshaft shop can make ya a driveshaft, how is this any diffrent? :D has anyone else done this?

I`m not sure that a regular driveshaft shop will be able to help you.

The u-joint halfshafts need to be telescoping,unlike the cv axles which expand and contract at the joint.

typicaly the failure with the u joint axles is the joint or the straps. Not the shaft itself,which would be the part that the driveshaft shop would be making.

If they were to make the straps larger you then would need larger joints and in turn the joint connecting the flange at the differential would also be too big.

Unless you`re talking about something else.

In which case I`ve rambled on for no reason,which has been known to happen,but not much lately,but quite a bit not so long ago malebitchslap.gifmalebitchslap.giftwak.gifugg.gif

I`m gonna get with moser engineering in portland indiana while I`m back up north and see what they can do about stub axles for the early Z with the companion flanges made to fit them and the later cv axles.

I`m also going to look into a stronger axle shaft itself shortened to the proper length.

This could also be an option for the r230. the process would be the same either way,but first I just want to know if it`s doable and how much it will cost. There may be a minimum production number so it would be nice to know how many people would be interested in either setup.

;)

A rear diff from a 87 or a 88 should bolt into a 240 with no problem. They were talking about a 90 or newer diff and they are different, it's the side stubs that are causing the problems. The z32 (90 or newer) side stubs are a diffrent length to engage the newer carrier in diffrent places than the old diffs. So there is no easy upgrade path. The z32 diff has a diffrent shape but that is the easy part.

Don

Let me make a suggestion and let you guys tell me why or if you think it won`t work. I personally have never seen the 90-96 diff or the shafts so any input would be appreciated.

Here`s the plan... I take the late model r-200 with the halfshafts,make my own mustache bar and pinion mounts,have Moser make hardened and shortened to the proper length axleshafts for the halfshafts,and also have them make hardened stub axles and companion flanges to directly bolt the outer cv`s to.maybe the outers are a splined shaft and not a bolt up flange but like I said I`ve never seen one myself.

Are there any reasons why this wouldn`t work?

It seems to me this would be a pretty strong setup and the prices that I`ve found so far for the 90 up 300zxtt diff is about 200.00, and the axles are about 75.00 used.

Guest Anonymous

The axles alone your talking about are usually near 350.00-500.00 for just the custom axles... Stub axles will be costly to machine I can almost guarantee, for the price of both, Scotties corvette rear end conversion starts to look pretty reasonable....

Regards,

Lone

The carrier of a z32 will fit in a older housing the only problem is the new carrier takes 12mm ring gear bolts so you would need one from a 87-89 housing or a v6 200sx. The only problem from there on is the side stubs. On mine I cut the CV cups off and weld a plate so I can bolt up a ujoint half shaft. My car is still on the rotissery (speeling?) so I don't know if it works but I see no reason why it won't work. I'll let you know when I get the car running.

Don

Well to save some of the cost, I could have the stock zxtt axles shortened and resplined.

The last set of standard axles that I had moser shorten and respline was 45.00 a piece but that was about 6 yrs ago.I would assume the shafts and cv`s from the TT should be pretty strong.

Does anyone know how the outer cv attaches?

Is it a splined shaft or does it bolt to a companion flange?

Also...Isn`t there a company already making hardened stub axles? If so then I may only need to have the companion flanges made.

The plus side to using this or a similar setup is useing all of the components that many of us already have.Like struts,wheels and for some Mikelly`s lower control arms. Also the time involved in fab work to install the vette rear would be extensive,and also might involve fender flares. Which for some of us who`s cars are already painted may not be an option.

Just tossin some ideas around ;)

Start by researching those who have already done this. It HAS been done and there are pics on the WEB of at least one US car and one JDM car with the later diff in it. Custom axles etc. might be doable and even shortening the stock ones but check to see who's been there first - this HAS come up here before too.

Scottie's rear conversion can also be narrowed I'm pretty sure. Might be interesting to price it out and see - I'd want to keep my 5.0 wheels though ;) I'll see if I break my ZXT CVs and 88LSD first though. Might work on that next weekend!

headaches and superfab is why i backed off the r230 swap. unless your running insano hp and torque and autox your car alot i think the ujoint halfshafts do the job very well. cv swap would be nice too. problem i have with an r230 is the cost to make the shafts work and all the custom brackets. but it would be nice to have a limited slip back there though. i popped my r200 case open a week or so ago and it looks really fresh, no filings in the fluid or anything,

through 3 years of daily burnouts and streetracing i didnt even chip a tooth, but it may be different for the others, i know i probably dont even put 300hp to the wheels, but i know i put down over 300 ft/lbs in shock launch mode. not to say i wouldnt like to have the fatman diff

behind me, that would be great, but for the costs of all the machining and making parts you cant just buy, the vette irs conversion or a ford nine inch, jaguar cradle irs, 12bolt, dana 60,

and various other conversions start to get really close in price and for the ford and chevy you get a choice of gears, and i dont know about the chevy but with a ford nine you can swap out the gears at will and either be a strip killer or a grocery killer, and with the ford and chevy conversions it might be cheaper and you could get parts anywhere for them and it wont cost you an arm and a leg to get it.

> ...The carrier of a z32 will fit in a older

> housing the only problem is the new carrier

> takes 12mm ring gear bolts so you would need

> one from a 87-89 housing or a v6 200sx....

According to a Nissan Tech Publication I have, _all_ the Z31 Turbo diffs used 12mm diameter ring bolts, not just the LSD's. So, when the LSD assembly was introduced in 1988, Nissan _had_ to make it fit the 12mm bolt holes in the ring gear.

It would be nice to know if this is really true as there are plenty more of the early turbo Z31's in the junkyards than later ones (or the rare V6 200SX's). Of course the only ratio is [still] 3.70.