HybridZ

LS1 into 280ZX?

260DET

Pic of the engine compartment of my 280ZX shorty coupe, there is a VG30DET in there, thats not a typo, it a JDM VG30DET engine with a GT35R turbo and MoTec ECU.

mypic90.jpg

Project started about three years ago and I was just thinking, doing it again a na LS1 with 6 speed gearbox would perhaps be the choice today. Perhaps not as powerful as the VG turbo but perhaps more drivable doing the circuit stuff, not that the VG is a pig.

Anyway I reckon that the LS1 package would be a good thing in a S130, routing exhausts around steering etc should be the only significant thing to do. Rest should be straight forward as far as swaps go.

beautiful engine bay and a very nice right hand drive 280zx. i actually have only seen pics of two others. must be a blast to drive. and yes an ls1 in these cars seems like the best choice. this is what i plan on doing only with a 5.3l baby ls1 and a t76 turbo to pull the power out of it. if you dont mind me asking how strong is the v6 with turbo? i take it this is a track car, have any problems with reliability?

Appreciate the comments, thanks. Car is a blast to drive but due to a couple of poor hardware choices does not put out the power it should. But that does not really spoil the experience, it just drives so nice.

Suspension is three way adjustable custom built here, 400lb springs F, 300 R with a 32mm hollow front ARB and no rear ARB. Expensive but worth it. Engine has a Accusump to ensure 100% lubrication for reliability, forged internals, its been fine so far as expected.

Using the stock DET exhaust manifolds, the left rail had to be cut for the turbo to fit. To service the turbo the engine has to be removed. Which is one reason why I reckon a naturally aspirated LS would be a good choice, particularly in the US.

The 280ZX has a very large transmission tunnel so I'm guessing a Tremec would fit OK, had to do a slight mod to mine to clear the starter motor. But the Z32 gearbox fitted in easily.

If the VG drops its guts then I'll look at a LS, VG sounds a bit V8'ish but you can't beat the real thing :)

So what I'd suggest for practical conversions is either a straight six or a V8. Turbo V8, do a big single mounted at the front, side mount turbos on a V engine are really not very sensible, from a conversion point of view in the S130.

I hate chopping rails to make a turbo fit plus to get it right its very time consuming and potentially difficult to service.

There you go, 280ZX engine conversion practice in a nutshell :)