HybridZ

1994 thunderbird sc motor in 1981 280zx 2+2?

zx28

just an idea, would it be do able or worth the hassle. my dad wrecked the t bird and i m just dreaming of stuff to do with it. im currently putting a lt1 in my 76 280z. i m just wondering if anyone has done it to know if its worth the trouble?:icon12:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I've thought about this swap (i've researched a great number of swaps though, so that's not saying much).

It's a great engine. The engines as a whole are known for head gasket issues, but ARP head studs clears that up just fine. There's guys out there running 13's, 12's, and even 11's on street driven T-birds. Stock bottom ends are good for 400+ hp. Just add a higher PSI pully, and upgrade the fuel system and megasquirt and you're good to go. I think you can also use the Ford ECU tweeker on it. (not positive though) That's a good route if megasquirt seems a bit too scary.

I was doing some searching through the forum and some other places I stumbled across the weight of the 3.8L Ford V6,

Ford 3.8 V6-90 351 (w/start, alt, less clutch) Ford 3.8 V6-90 311 ("fully dressed")

Ford 5.0 V8 450

Ford 351 Windsor 525

LS1 and the LS6 dry weight is 457.6lbs (auto config) and 497.2lbs (manual config)

With these weights, it does seem like a viable option for our z cars. then i stumbled across super six, and they have so many options from 400HP N/A to 500HP S/C kits. you can even add the M112 from the cobra onto the engine with an intake plate they sell. Then you also have the supercoupe website, they offer everything for the supercoupe, from upgraded superchargers, to injectors, which makes this swap look even better. I searched ebay too..didnt find many Essex V6s from the S/C supercoupe, preferred because of the lower CR. :-|. You might be on to something here!

http://supercoupeperformance.com//Default.aspx

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2007catrev3PowerPaks.pdf