HybridZ

My fuel pump!

Cartesian

Hi I'm kind of new at working on cars so sorry if this question seems dense, but I'm trying to change the fuel pump on my 280zx and I'm having a problem with the wiring. At the place they connect to the pump itself, the wires seem to be stuk on with molded plastic. Its very hard and I can't seem to cut through it. To anyone else who has changed the fuel pump on at 280zx, how do you get around this?

Melting them off seems like a terribly bad idea; what about cutting the wires themselves? My new fuel pump came with connectors, so I guess I could just connect them to the cut ends of the wires but that seems, well, wasteful.

Any advice?

Just replaced mine a few days ago. The plastic comes off with a wire wheel. If you have a compressor and a die grinder with a wire wheel that works just fine. After you get the plastic off there are just a couple 12mm or 10mm nuts. I would also check ebay for a pump. The auto parts will just sell you an over priced universal pump that doesn't work right unless you splice extensions to your electrical and it wont fit in the pump bracket unless you get longer fuel lines. Hope this helps.

Just replaced mine a few days ago. The plastic comes off with a wire wheel. If you have a compressor and a die grinder with a wire wheel that works just fine. After you get the plastic off there are just a couple 12mm or 10mm nuts. I would also check ebay for a pump. The auto parts will just well you an over priced universal pump that doesn't work right unless you splice extensions to your electrical and it wont fit in the pump bracket unless you get longer fuel lines. Hope this helps.

I can get ahold of that great idea thanks.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Please do not cut the factory connectors!! If you have a Dremel with a small wire wheel then use it to remove the coating. The coating is obviously there to protect against moisture and the elements. Then use some sandpaper to clean up the factory brass connectors before installing the new fuel pump.

Yasin

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the engine started dying again. It always starts up cold but if I get to operating temperature I risk just having the engine lose all power during idle. Then I have to crank it several times and pump the gas pedal to get it going. This is pretty much what was happening before my old pump failed. Could there be any other reasons for this besides my fuel pump?