HybridZ

Snapped a R200 "mustache" bar ! How Common? Cure?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I converted to a R200 rear end setup about a year ago and replaced the stock rubber bushings with urethane. I retained the stock front differential mount and am using the beefier 280z half shafts. Porwerwise I have a 300 hp 350 TPI engine spinning a 700R4.

The mustache bar failed about 2 inches outboard from the right differential mounting hole.

How common is this failure and what is the best cure? What is available to beef-up the front mount?

I'd say it's not very common at all. I'd get another r200 bar and move your bushings over to it and see how long it lasts. You may want to fab a strap for the diff nose as thay should take some twisting load off the mustache bar.

Guest Anonymous

fairlady snapped his mustache bar in the same place, with poly bushings and a solid front mount, man hes a complete nut

I thought Fairlady broke the front diff crossmember, not his mustache bar?

The Simon DeGroot front mount is another alternative: http://www.usq.edu.au/users/degroot/240z/pages/diffmount.htm. I created a slight variation on this by using poly bushings meant for a 280Z trans mount: http://240z.jeromio.com/diffmount.html

Lots more work than Pete's though.

Uncle Ed,

Sorry to hear about your mustache mishap.

I just wanted to say that Im glad you kept your car. I called you awhile back regarding buying it and you seemed pretty intent on getting rid of it. Even lowered the price without me prying. You have a nice ride and I hope you enjoy it for along time to come.

...and yes I got my own to play with smile.gif

Take care,

Jason

Originally posted by Jumbo240z:

Just FYI, I hear a solid mount transmits alot of noise into the car.

A lot is almost a understatement. I'll NEVER put a solid diff mount in my Z again.

Jon I drove by but your Garage was closed so I went home.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the replys! The failed mustache bar was one built for the r200,(P/N E5425N4300) and came from the same car from which I stripped the the r200. Does anyone sell an upgraded front mount or is there any drawings ect on building one?

• 6 years later...
Guest Nostromo

If you are looking for a more ridged lighter weight Billet Mustache Bar. Check out newoldstockmotorsports.com they offer; Model: A51-ZRDM (Designed for the 1970-78 Datsun Z 240-280. Machined from 6061-T6 aircraft grade billet aluminum.) This bar is made by Area 51 and appears to be very high quality. They also have Billet Rear Control Arm Mounts, etc. There stuff is worth looking at for anyone who is interested in beefing up the rear suspension and looking to gain a more ridged rear diff install. I plan on purchasing the Billet Mustache Bar and giving it some hard shifts. Steel bends before it breaks and alloy stays stiff and can crack. I will see how she holds up. I think it will stiffen up my rear and help keep my diff from bullying the Rear assembly so much. ( I have recently broken the diff mount loose and experiencing "Z-Clunk".) I have ordered a stock rubberized mount and a solid one, I am going to try running the solid one first. NOW I JUST NEED THE ARRESTOR BELT (AKA 'the strap') To hold it down from above. It seems that in recent years Nissan has stopped producing this part and it is rather hard to come by. Man I should have jumped on the last one I saw on Ebay, But it was $70+. So I think I Will make my own out of Polypro strap, and just cinch it up with an Ancra Buckle. This works to secure important items during river rafting and should have the strength and durability to do the job. I will post back here soon and let you know how the upgraded mustache bar, solid mount and Polypro strap project work out. Hopefully I'll be peeling rubber and slamming through the gears entirely clunk free while putting more power to the ground. (No flimsy steel mustache or soft rubber pad to absorb the energy). This is either going to work out great or be a disaster. There is no in between with me. :icon55::burnout::burnout::icon55:

Edited by Nostromo
spelling mistakes, phrasing

i dont claim to be all knowing as the rest of you i put a billet mustache bar from arizona z car and a solid front mount as far as noise i cant here anything over the electric fuel pump

Your post to this thread lead me to look at your other posts. How about improving your English skills so we can read and understand your posts in a timely manner.

LARRY