HybridZ

Newbie L30ET Build

EvilC

Hi everyone.

I think this is only my second post in the L6 section! Yes, I am planning on doing a L30et swap into the "new" 240z I just bought. Take a look at the car and donor:

ZXT donor:

420073620_pDMqh-L.jpg

New Z:

417788649_gQWJq-M.jpg

I am pretty excited about this swap because I plan on building the motor myself with lots of reading here and input from Rags/Cygnusx1 who I am good friends with and both live close to each. The donor has been stripped and motor will be in the garage by this weekend. Dave (cygnusx1) has been telling me to get the l28et in first and build the 3.0 on the side. Reason being, I plan to do MS also and I HATE WIRING but I am looking foward to learning. I will try and take as much pics as possible and document my progress. Hope my thread can help all newbies like myself and show that anyone can build a motor reading here on HBZ. My dad is mechanic but I always like to try on my own and have it work or break. I know some of you know I have the v8 Z I put together also but I am still a rookie mechanic....words from 1 tuff z! :-)

Hope to have the car on the road by Spring but there is no rush at all. This car will have heat, a/c and be a nice street car vs my ls1 Z.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this. MS the 240 motor with parts from the attic. Once running, swap in the turbo motor grab Dave's tune and run it like that until the 3 liter is ready to get off the stand.

That's a good plan too. One giant leap at a time with success at every step is better than three giant leaps at once with unknown results. Although, dropping the turbo motor into the red Z is going to be quick and painless. Wiring, well that's some labor but not a mystery. It should be "procedural" to get the L28ET into the new car and running on MS. Once it's in and running with all the bolt-ons in place, the 3.0 can be built on a stand and swapped in easily on a rainy weekend, almost turnkey. BESIDES, I bet we can make 350+rwhp out of that L28ET before you even finish building the 3.0. :wink:

Clive, need a parts list? I have it in my head.

Hey Clive.

That's a nice looking 240Z, I like the flares.

The extra 200cc of displacement the 3.0L will give you is really not worth the cost in a turbo build. You're better off spending that money on a nice turbo, engine management, and an intercooler. There is plenty of info on this on HybridZ, so dig in! I'm running a stock long block with a hydraulic head and it's easily makes 300WHP @14psi.

If I were to build another turbo motor this what I would do:

- F54 block bored 1mm over

- L28 Crank

- L28 Rods

- Forged flat top pistons

- P90 head (solid), mild intake and exhaust cleanup work

- Schneider 270-60F-14 camshaft, new springs, retainers, and lash pads

- Resurfaced stock rocker arms

- Stock Nissan head gasket

- Balanced rotating assembly

- 90055 PowerForce+Plus damper

Pete

Hey Pete you are def right! I would not spend the cash just for the extra .2 of a liter but lets say someone hooked me up with a 3.0 block rotating assembly that just needs to be swapped over to a block that is bored correctly. This is the only reason why I am doing the 3.0 This car is not going to be my "fast" car. I guess I really want to get my hand dirty and try to learn the L6 in and out; something I didn't do with the LS1.

Thanks for the list and advice. Now that I got the car indoors it is time to get the motor from the shop. ;)

6 days after my first post.

Here is what I started with:

424739828_XNREX-M.jpg

After a few hours:

424740725_ruank-M.jpg

424741016_HC3Ab-M.jpg

then

424741883_QtbSY-M.jpg

Ok, what did I learn so far. Something as simple as where and how does the oil circulate in the motor! I know it sounds really sad but it is true, lol. Also being able to to see how every part works and the order they come apart starts to make everything make sense. So after cleaning up the mess in Joe's garage, the block/head/oil pan is off to the machine shop. The block will be boiled, bored, tested for stress cracks, honed and new freeze plugs. Oil pan will be boiled also so I can paint it myself. As for the head, I will have to get back to you with more exact details. The intake ports will be opened up along with the exhaust ports. By looking at the exhaust ports, there is not much that can be taken out without doing a custom exhaust mani. Like I said more details are to follow.

Next step is going to order ARP stud kit, complete engine gasket kit, new water pump, timing chain kit. bearing kit after machine shop work is done and engine paint. There are lots of misc items that I didn't list but will when purchased.

Joe has been very helpful and putting up with my million questions! Dave has been helping out too. Next step is researching and finding a good turbo for the setup I am looking to have.

Clive=Yard Sale

Clive has more stuff spread all over the country than anyone I know....I can't follow all of his projects and vehicles and I see him at least twice a week. He is Mr. Multi-task. I am Mr. Mono-task. Complete opposite. I don't know how he does it, but he does.

Clive, good luck with the project, and Joe good luck with the new tenant. :wink: I'll vouch for him.

Yea, if you have anything left over, I'll try and buy some stuff! lol

But nice finds so far! You are a very lucky person! lol

Parts are for sale so pm and let me know what you are looking for! =)

Joe when I am done, I'll paint the floor if you move everything out. =P

With the block and head off to the machine shop, I plan to sell some parts off the Z (E31 head, 4 screw carbs and intake).

In the mean time here is what I purchased from DIYAUTOTUNE.COM:

1 x Innovate LC-1 Digital Wideband Controller with Sensor (wb-lc1-3769) = $199.00

1 x 12' MegaSquirt Wiring Harness (MS1 / MS2 Ready) (MSHarness12) = $65.00

1 x 3/8" NPT Stainless Steel Weld-On Bung for IAT or CLT Sensor (38NPT-BungSS) = $9.00

1 x MapDaddy 4 Bar MAP Sensor with Barometric Correction (MapDaddy4) = $65.00

1 x GM Open Element IAT Sensor with Connector (IATwConn) = $20.00

1 x MegaSquirt-II EMS System - SMD PCB3.57 - Assembled Unit (MS2357-C) = $405.00

1 x 6 3/4" 36-1 Trigger Wheel (tw36-1_675) = $29.00

1 x MegaSquirt Tuning Cable (DB9 Straight Thru) (TuneCable6) = $5.50

1 x USB to Serial Adapter - Works with MegaTune! (USB-2920) = $20.00

Total with shipping: $848.10

This week I also plan to sand blast a few parts and get them all cleaned up. Also do plan to send a few bolts to a friend to have them zinc platted, nothing like working with clean non-rusted bolts! Will update with pics for you guys this week.

Clive,

You also need a GM coolant (CLT) sensor. Also, you shouldn't need to weld a bung in unless you put the IAT sensor upstream of the TB in your IC plumbing. You can drill and tap the thermostat housing and intake manifold to 3/8" NPT thread and be done with it.

You will also need 3 relays (Main power, fuel pump, cooling fan). Also, I like to use a separate fuse panel for MS. This one gives you 4 circuits for $9:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRF-30002&N=700+4294843320+115&autoview=sku

You can also buy a relay board which does all of this for you.

Pete

Nice work man! Looks identical to what I am doing at the moment as far as tearing down a turbo motor and cleaning it all up. Just let me say that a few of the parts are going to be a pain to sand blast and when you blow your nose afterwords you will most likely have some dark tissues ;)

Good luck with the build!

Got something in the mail today!

429940261_HAADY-M.jpg

Dave and I started going through the Megatune program just to understand some of the features and see the screens! Lots to learn but just going over it today, lots of things started to make sense. Everything is like a 101 tech class to me so I have to read and understand step by step.

Another book I just got from 1 Tuff Z which I would def tell anyone to pick up:

429940456_C5E3f-L-2.jpg

Great great great great info in there guys! I am talking to the noobs like me. I learned a lot in the first two chapters!!

Very excited about the MS and looking forward to the learning and headaches.