HybridZ

Ignition Help (I searched)

Like the title said, i've searched the archives for a week and a half, and haven't found anything more than i have already tried. My car is a '73 240z.

About two weeks ago the ignition went out in the same manner it has this time, but i replaced the ignition switch and the problem was solved. Now, once again, when i turn the key to start the ignition the relay in the passenger floor clicks, as well as the acc relay in the engine bay, as it did before i changed the switch the first time.

I've swapped relays, starter, and jumped the harness behind the ign. switch to eliminate it as a possibility as well. All fuses look good. When i put my multimeter in the plug going to the ignition relay, i can't get a reading from any of the 3 prongs when i turn the key to start, but im not sure if i'm just doing it incorrectly (ground to bare spot on door hinge and hot to the prong) or if the plug isn't getting power. I would think if the plug didn't get power the relay wouldn't click though?

Also, the relay that was originally in the car clicks when you try to start it, whereas the replacement one i have doesn't click at all. Also the original relay clicks when you plug it in to the harness and the replacement doesn't.

I'm guessing i have a wire grounding out somewhere, but just wanted to get second opinions before i have to rip my dash out and chase wires. :(

*Edit - After looking for my fusible links i removed miles of electrical tape that the p.o. left for me and discovered that the spade connector on the back of the starter ha come loose inside of the "loom" made of tape. So 4 1/2 of checking harness and relays to find it unplugged.

Yea i did the same in my nissan hardbody when it's ignition went out, but left it as a permanent solution. I was trying to avoid that on my z since the rest of the car is so nice i didn't want a starter button. If anything, i would have hooked the windshield washer button up as a starter as others have done. Haha.