HybridZ

Just got my 280Z...

I suppose I'll take a look.

Does anyone know the legality of getting rid of a car without proof of ownership?

Don't give up, if the engine is the only thing wrong with the car, you can have it fixed pretty easily.

You might also make a wanted ad here on HybridZ, since it seems lots of people on here have spare engines, old engines no longer in use due to swaps, etc.

Making an ad on Craigslist might also be a good idea, since some people have spares they're not using, but aren't motivated to sell them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news, apparently you need proof of registration/ownership for towing companies to take your car away, so I have some leeway! I just gotta get the engine running ASAP. I bought Will Humble's How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car and the How to Rebuild book is coming in 3 business days. Hopefully I'll be able to fix the engine in like a month or so?

And if the engine is that far rusted would I need replacement parts? Like I said I would prefer to go the cheaper way, whichever way that may be.

Good news, apparently you need proof of registration/ownership for towing companies to take your car away, so I have some leeway! I just gotta get the engine running ASAP. I bought Will Humble's How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car and the How to Rebuild book is coming in 3 business days. Hopefully I'll be able to fix the engine in like a month or so?

And if the engine is that far rusted would I need replacement parts? Like I said I would prefer to go the cheaper way, whichever way that may be.

:) sorry i didn't pick up. sounds like you solved your parking situation. I will be getting the title to ya very soon.

Like what I told ya, swap the engine.

Well I haven't found any L28s in my area, so I've decided to just promptly work on the current engine so it's cheaper (can you tell that I don't have much money left? lol). My mom isn't too happy about the Z in her garage spot, and it didn't help that my dad kept trying to ignore her... I need to get a set of tools to start unbolting the engine's head, and the How to Restore your L-series book is coming in on around Thursday. Does anyone know how long the rebuild will take? The faster the better; my mom likes to beat the crap out of my Z every time she passes by it... Also, will I need an engine crane to rebuild my current engine? I definitely won't be able to afford one of those...

Well I haven't found any L28s in my area, so I've decided to just promptly work on the current engine so it's cheaper (can you tell that I don't have much money left? lol). My mom isn't too happy about the Z in her garage spot, and it didn't help that my dad kept trying to ignore her... I need to get a set of tools to start unbolting the engine's head, and the How to Restore your L-series book is coming in on around Thursday. Does anyone know how long the rebuild will take? The faster the better; my mom likes to beat the crap out of my Z every time she passes by it... Also, will I need an engine crane to rebuild my current engine? I definitely won't be able to afford one of those...

If you need an engine crane, I'm pretty sure Autozone rents them out.

Try harder to find a running replacement engine.

Do you have a flat and hard surface to lift the car up on jack stands? If not it will be tough to lift the engine out with that tranny attached. Its easier to remove both seperately. Tranny down, Engine up.

Start to remove the intake and exhaust manifold... the rad (drain it first)....alternator ...starter. Bag all the bolts and label well...and keep with the parts. Remove all wires to the engine and tag. Remove the driveshaft..(drain the tranny oil first). disconnect the speedo cable from the tranny. Remove the center console...and take out the shifter. Be VERY organized. Clean up the parts if you have time or the inclination.

Etc...etc...etc

Oh ya....try harder to find a running engine.

Its how I learned, while the book is handy, steady methodical appraoch will work best. Its the digital age so take a Khajllion (more than a billion) pictures for reference.

Expect to stay VERY busy for a while. When its all done ...it will be a love hate kind of thing. Now GO , start and keep us informed! Stop wasting time.

Ah, well I'm wondering what I could do at LEAST before my book comes in...

Hmm.. How old are you? Just wondering. I have a friend trying to do the "live at home while working on a car in their garage" thing and it gets ugly.

I had some 'motor issues' late this summer and had to swap the motor in my 280 while going to University, so I can see where you are coming from. It took me a few months. California 'seems' to be heaven for Z parts though, shouldnt be too hard to find another L28. Good luck!

Well I tried to get the engine head off without any service manual or book, but I thought to myself the sooner I start the better. I bought some metric tools and started unscrewing away. Two bolts were so tight that when I turned the bolt too hard it sort of cracked. Apparently the spiral part rusted through, but I do hope I can still take out the head even with a chunk of the bolt inside the part that connects the head and block. The other bolts were really tight as well (it took an average of 7 minutes on each one) Also, I'm getting the monkey wrench attatchment thing replaced tomorrow since it kinda broke on me... Tomorrow I will also buy some WD-40.

DSC02268.jpg

DSC02269.jpg

DSC02270.jpg

DSC02271.jpg

Well I tried to get the engine head off without any service manual or book, but I thought to myself the sooner I start the better. I bought some metric tools and started unscrewing away. Two bolts were so tight that when I turned the bolt too hard it sort of cracked. Apparently the spiral part rusted through, but I do hope I can still take out the head even with a chunk of the bolt inside the part that connects the head and block. The other bolts were really tight as well (it took an average of 7 minutes on each one) Also, I'm getting the monkey wrench attatchment thing replaced tomorrow since it kinda broke on me... Tomorrow I will also buy some WD-40.

Good luck getting that bolt out. My dad broke a bolt while working on his 280z and it took him something like two days to get it out... it was a LOT of drilling...

I'm still going to recommend just getting a new engine. However, I see no harm in trying to fix this one, if anything, it'll be a good learning experience.

Drop the gas tank and clean it .....and clean out all the fuel lines-new fuel filter,new fuel lines befor crank or start the car up!!!I am sure after 12 years just sitting the gas went bad long time ago.You don't need all the junk goes inside your fuel lines and plug you injectors....

Search the web and read a lot or buy you a factory service manual for your year in ebay befor you do any thing don't just unscrew bolts and pull parts......

You can forget doing a basic rebuild on that motor. You'd easily spend in the neighborhood of $2k to rebuild a stock L28. That last stock L16 I built for a friend's 510 was $1200 and I didn't charge much to put it all together. Parts, machine shop work, etc., you'll be much better off finding a running engine. You will need to do something with the tank & lines, as previously mentioned. It's not going to be cheap or easy, but a swap will most likely be the easiest route to go. Good luck!

At this point I'm pretty much convinced that the engine is rusted through and isn't worth much... Either way it'll take some time to fix it so in the meantime I need to find another place to keep the Z. However most storage centers do not allow non operational vehicles so I guess I'll have a fun time looking around on friday (I have a feeling most places will be empty today) A lot of Chevrons in my area are closing down, so maybe they'll let me rent out their little garage spaces there...

If I were to get another engine, what would you recommend me doing? (e.g. what to look at closely, et cetera) What I think I'll do is take pictures, come back here and post them, then listen to some feedback.

Oh, what are your guys' recommendation be on preparing for the engine swap? Is there something I could do on my Z while I search for another engine?

And uhh, my hands are full of cuts and blisters. Lots of skin peeled off. Yep.

See my earlier post....:mrgreen:

Oh, what are your guys' recommendation be on preparing for the engine swap? Is there something I could do on my Z while I search for another engine?

And uhh, my hands are full of cuts and blisters. Lots of skin peeled off. Yep.

Try harder to find a running replacement engine.

Start to remove the intake and exhaust manifold... the rad (drain it first)....alternator ...starter. Bag all the bolts and label well...and keep with the parts. Remove all wires to the engine and tag. Remove the driveshaft..(drain the tranny oil first). disconnect the speedo cable from the tranny. Remove the center console...and take out the shifter. Be VERY organized. Clean up the parts if you have time or the inclination.

Etc...etc...etc

Oh ya....try harder to find a running engine.

Expect to stay VERY busy for a while. When its all done ...it will be a love hate kind of thing. Now GO , start and keep us informed! Stop wasting time.

In case you missed some of the "to-do" list here it is. Listen to Jerry, this guy has had a Z car almost as long as you've been alive I'd bet :o

Ah okay. Well my dad told me disassembling an engine near a heater is not the greatest idea (the heater that heats water and whatever else). What can I tell him to persuade him that it won't just spontaneously combust?

Oh, and what would you guys recommend to get all this dust/grease/dirt off the parts? (e.g. solvents, wiping materials, etc) I used dish washing soap/detergent and it came out mediocre.