HybridZ

Just got my 280Z...

The water heater is in the garage?

Explain to him you will disconnect and seal the fuel lines and that oil "fumes" will not ignite Once you remove the fuel system the engine will not have any gas in it, You will not have a problem unless you spill fuel all over the place and this shoulnt happen as you are not doing anything with the gas tank.

If your carefull there should be very little gas fumes.

Ah okay. Well my dad told me disassembling an engine near a heater is not the greatest idea (the heater that heats water and whatever else). What can I tell him to persuade him that it won't just spontaneously combust?

Oh, and what would you guys recommend to get all this dust/grease/dirt off the parts? (e.g. solvents, wiping materials, etc)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The water heater is in the garage?

Explain to him you will disconnect and seal the fuel lines and that oil "fumes" will not ignite Once you remove the fuel system the engine will not have any gas in it, You will not have a problem unless you spill fuel all over the place and this shoulnt happen as you are not doing anything with the gas tank.

If your carefull there should be very little gas fumes.

Ah, well in that case I guess I'll give the garage better ventilation. Besides, there is no gas in the tank (so I've heard) so I don't think it really matters. Besides my parents always start their cars in the garage so who cares, right?

Good way to get your parents to like your car is to tell them you could be out drinking, doing drugs and having sex. It has worked for me and my car has been in the garage for ~5 years now. :)

Well my mother is one of those people who never really appreciates what she has and takes it for granted. I'm still having a bit of trouble finding cheap vehicle storage. I got an acquaintance who owes me 600 bucks, so I told him if he finds free garage space for me he doesn't have to pay me back.

Well sounds like things are a bit better for your Z situation, I'd PM that guy who said he had a motor. The car I'm running in my Z was pulled out of a car locally :)

You said your Mom hit the car every time she walks past it - please whatever you do if you have to get rid of it don't send it to the junkyard. It looks so clean. good luck!

yeah, seriously, first you are saying your mom won't let you work on the car at your house, it has to be running NOW, then you want to talk about turboing the car? That is how people wind up getting too deep into projects and screwing themselves over.

Okay, I FINALLY got the... *flips pages* head bolts out. There was one that just wouldn't come out (took me three days just to get that one bolt out), until I realized that I unscrewed all the bolts in an incorrect pattern. Oh well. I'm trying to degrease the whole engine compartment so I used CDC engine degreaser and that stuff was CRAP (plus it has a heavy odor...). Sure the engine looked cleaner but 1.) I'm probably not going to use this engine, 2.) it didn't really clean the rest of the compartment anyway. What would you guys recommend for cleaning the compartment and getting rid of that rust in the battery tray area? (I think it was called COR-15...)

Needless to say, progress is slow. It's okay though since I don't even have the money for another engine yet.

Oh, and I randomly found a lubricated banana-flavoured condom wrapper on the passenger seat.

HAHAHAHA, yea, my mom is getting me mine for xmas taken from a repo lot but wth its a 280z it runs, its orange the bodies pretty good, interior needs work, 500 smacker, i think its a damn good deal

So long as there aren't a whole lot of problems like rust then that's a helluva good deal.

So long as there aren't a whole lot of problems like rust then that's a helluva good deal.

yea, the bodys just got a few old car dings, its a fantastic deal though, i see them go in the same condition for 1200+ everyday, never really though of getting one, but the deal came along, i said i would like the car and my mom said ill buy it for you, lol, yea im 16 but i know my way around a car, and it will be a great learning experience with an older engine, although i really want a 240sx or ae86 corolla, the drift tax BS where everybody thinks their worth more ruined that for me

yea, the bodys just got a few old car dings, its a fantastic deal though, i see them go in the same condition for 1200+ everyday, never really though of getting one, but the deal came along, i said i would like the car and my mom said ill buy it for you, lol, yea im 16 but i know my way around a car, and it will be a great learning experience with an older engine, although i really want a 240sx or ae86 corolla, the drift tax BS where everybody thinks their worth more ruined that for me

S12 buddy, it will answer your prayers and wishes. I have the s12 turbo and it's a perty sweet ride. I've been thinking about swapping my s12 r200 4.11 diff over to my S30 recently though...bad things going through my head.

S12 buddy, it will answer your prayers and wishes. I have the s12 turbo and it's a perty sweet ride. I've been thinking about swapping my s12 r200 4.11 diff over to my S30 recently though...bad things going through my head.

lol, the more i see about these cars the more i like them