HybridZ

240z, r200 , z31 cv axle question.

cannonball55

Does anyone have a part number for the axles needed to run with the billet conversion from modern mototrsports? I have read numerous threads here before asking, and they say z31 turbo cars have them but nissan no longer makes the axles. I plan on buiying them from Orielly's but hate standing in there all day while they chase down some part they have no clue about. So much easier if you have a part number... I have learned thru my searching the threads that some people are having serious problems with the axles and modern motorsports conversion kits working smoothly? Does MM recommend an axle to use with their system or do they just leave ya hanging to figure it out for yourself? Their kit cost me $1300 and for that price I don't wanna deal with any headaches. I hate buying stuff to find out its not what I need and having to rebuy. Any help would be much appreciated.

Parts being used from MM : http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=46

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=62

My car is 1973 240z with r200 rearend.

Thanks,

Stewart

From what I can tell, the people having problems are those running after market LSD's, even then the fix is no big deal, grind close to the retaining ring (on the cv shaft), but leave enough material on the end to hold the ring and it seems to give you enough room without binding. Use a light tool like a dremel and you shouldn't put enough heat into it to screw up the tempering. I took pictures on a previous post. Of course the cage has to be flipped, but most guys still have the end cap on. I opted to leave mines off, since it gave me a little more clearance and sealed the whole assembly up with gasket sealer.

No headaches? Welcome to hot rodding, half the mods you do require another mod sometimes two or three more times. Tha's what the forums are for. You are lucky to have the internet this day and age to find out what other people screwed up so you don't have to.

I got mines from Rock Auto, but I don't think they sell them anymore. The ones available are rebuilt.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I searched for it and found it......

To swap in the z31 turbo 4bolt axles, you have to have the modern motorsport conversion stuff? There is no other way? http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=46

I remember seeing a thread on it but could not find it. I have 2 turbo axles laying around and a 3.7 diff waiting to be welded...... trying to overbuild this car with free crap I have, haha.