HybridZ

L6 engine setback oil pump clearance?

gregkring

I have read a few old posts about setting back the L-6 motor in a quest for fan clearance and shifter locations. I did a bunch of measuring today and it looks like 2 inch setback would be fairly easy, if it was not for the oil pump. I can only move the engine back maybe 3/4 of an inch before the oil pump hits the rack mount. I can get around the hood latch and fabricate motor mounts okay, but what has anyone done about the oilpump clearance when moving the motor back? Raising the motor would nt work since it would put the motor more upright and hit the hood, interfere with strut bars, turbo downpipe clearance etc. 3/4 inch isn't worth it, I may just flatten out the radiator support to try and cheat or tilt the radiator a little forward for better fan clearance. Car is a 1971 series 1 with 280 turbo motor and T-5 trans.

New mounts. Maybe there are different mounts for different years or something? My strut bar has maybe 1/4 inch of clearance to the valve cover So it's not liek the motor is already sitting to low for some reason. No way I could drop the motor two inches or move it back 4 inches like it is now. Maybe the trans mount is too high? I used a stock 240Z mount and sectioned it back an inch and a half to match up with the T5 trans. The T-5 shouldn't have a mount any higher or lower than a Nissan trans? Bad thing is everything else on the car is already done. I was just trying to improve things a little a far as fitment, but it will all work just fine as is. Now I am more intrigued than anything.

cimg3866mediumrq6.jpg

w800.png

cimg3867mediumvp2.jpg

w800.png

cimg3868mediumyo9.jpg

w800.png

• 11 months later...

If you need fan clearance, try a 240sx fan clutch and swap the fan to the opposite side of it.

I fed longer bolts through the clutch itself and used them as studs.

One nut used as a spacer netted me 3/8 an inch between the L28et power steering portion of the crank pulley and the rearmost or the fan blades and this allowed me to fit it into a Infiniti M30 with L28et.