HybridZ

Intake mouth ported for 60mm TB

zbigtim

Great pics! Does anyone know if I could run a 60mm TB in stock Turbo intake system, or do i need modifications? Also is it safe to have a stock 83 zxt motor run at 15 psi?

You CAN put a 60mm TB on but you must have a way to adapt the tubo J-Tube to the larger body. And of course port the manny. You might as well install an intercooler if you do the TB. And running 15 psi with the stock injectors and no intercooler puts you at extreme risk of detonating. You could realy mess something up.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oops,,,first posting. guess I did it wrong. anyways,,,should the bumps in the intake runners be removed?

Running forced induction, and without porting the head, the dimples are not gonna make that much of a difference with the stock boost.

With a front view of the linkage you can see how angled the linkage is at full throttle.

1228273311.jpg

Here it is closed.

1228273309.jpg

Do you think I should remove those dimples in each intake runner?
I think if you are talking about these dimples, you may cut thru to the injector mounting holes.:fmad:

1228273312.jpg

Mine never came this close to hitting the body as yours does here. I think Its because I used a thicker space. Props on the wooden one anyway. I bet that seals pretty well. I made mine out of *EDIT*1.5" Lexan glass.

DSCN0092.jpg

But I do have the simmilar angle linkage as in the other pictures. Your not alone.

Also I had the linkage arm on the TB farther down the shaft. Now I have a big post sticking off the side of the TB.

Mine never came this close to hitting the body as yours does here. I think Its because I used a thicker space. Props on the wooden one anyway. I bet that seals pretty well. I made mine out of *EDIT*1.5" Lexan glass.

My fancy, high end, plywood is 3/4" thick. From what I found by searching, this is what I found everyone using (I'm talking about the thickness, not the material). My buddy that works for Chrysler is bringing me a piece of 3/4" nylon. You guys don't think it will melt do ya?

Nylon tends to be soft in some applications. What hardness would you use for this (I assume at least a 90a)? And there are so many types of Nylon available that its hard to say the temperature threshold.

On a side note, I think my spaceer might be less than what I cliamed it is. I am going to measure it tomarrow.

• Administrators

I think if you are talking about these dimples, you may cut thru to the injector mounting holes.:fmad:

1228273312.jpg

Yes, most of the time when removing the dimples you will find the mounting holes, but that is OK. Some feel the injector screws themselves when tight seal pretty good. Personally I prefer to seal them with an Epoxy, usually JB Weld. All of the manifolds that I have customized, (several of them), I removed those runner dimples and use JB weld in the runner to fill the mounting holes that do get exposed. I just work a little bit into the hole keeping the manifold upright the entire time, (don’t want the JB Weld to run up the threads…), then just use a small piece of paper to hold the JB in the hole till it has set up. Once it has set up, using the die grinder, carve the paper/excess JB-Weld blending it into the runner. The threads in the mounting hole hold the JB weld giving a 100% positive seal. I have pics of inside the runners somewhere but cant find them... shrug.gif At any rate, here is a sampling of a few of the intakes I have done using that method;

Pearls.jpg

Intake1Medium.jpg

DSC_4746Large.jpg

BraapCustom.jpg

Pearl2Medium.jpg

Mikey1Small.jpg

• Administrators
Very nice Paul. Might I ask why the motor in the 1st engine bay pic is so far recessed into the firewall? I noticed it is a tubo motor and don't know if the application intended called for that.

Thank you.

That "was" a custom autocross/street project Ron Tyler was building for himself, low polar moment. He had me customize the N-42 manifold. He has since gone away from factory intakes and builds his own from scratch. That car currently is sitting behind the shop, hopefully to be resurrected in the future. The Turbo project was scrapped, though just recently another version resurrected, this time in his current 260-Z driver... :wink:

• Administrators
So I'm guessing the motor was recessed for a better weight distribution.

No so much "better" as a different approach to optimizing certain handling characteristics. During transitional maneuvers such as driving a slalom, the polar-moment, or Dumb-bell effect is reduced by moving the vehicles components closer to the point of rotation/pivot, in this case, the component with the most mass, the engine and trans!

Courtesy of Autozine.org

polar_moment.jpg

These cars are already essentially 50-50 weight distribution. This mod gives more of a rear weight bias along with reducing the polar moment. Depending on the application, some feel a rearward wight bias is more ideal, (think rear engine Porsche), others feel 50-50 is more ideal. Again, depends on the application and intended use, driver, etc. Everything is a compromise, you trade one attribute for another. wink.gif

This topic should really be discussed in another thread.

Sorry for the thread-jack fellas. zitto.gif

You CAN put a 60mm TB on but you must have a way to adapt the tubo J-Tube to the larger body. And of course port the manny. You might as well install an intercooler if you do the TB. And running 15 psi with the stock injectors and no intercooler puts you at extreme risk of detonating. You could realy mess something up.

Thanks for the advice! I am in the process of buying a wideband to see where in am at. An intercooler is in the works.